How do you rate Kimber cust serv per 1st hand experience?

This is a discussion on How do you rate Kimber cust serv per 1st hand experience? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, please allow me to start off to say that this post is not intended to be a Kimber bashing post. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you rate Kimber cust serv per 1st hand experience?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

How do you rate Kimber cust serv per 1st hand experience?

First of all, please allow me to start off to say that this post is not intended to be a Kimber bashing post. I have never owned a Kimber nor have even shot you for that matter. Also this post is related to one I posted earlier concerning Kimbers. In that post, I asked about break in & reliability. I really appreciate all of the help and comments from the other post but at the same time I also want to ask if there is anything to the rumor that Kimber has poor customer service per some different forums I have read.

For the context of my question, please read below;

Last month, my girlfriend decided that she wanted to buy a gun that she can carry - after she gets her CCDW. She saw a Springfield EMP and liked it a lot. She has a friend that has one and her friend was going to allow her to shoot hers to see how she liked it before she spent +$1,000 for a handgun. I personally liked the looks of the EMP but thought that a Kimber model may also be an attractive alternative to consider considering the price range she was looking at. With that being said, I started to do a little research on the internet but noticed that in some of the forums some people were saying that the newer Kimbers weren't being made as well and that Kimber customer service was awful. At the same time, however, I was reading that Springfield has wonderful customer service.

What has been your experience, How would you rate Kimber customer service per your first hand experience?

Thanks,
    DCG

2. Remove Ads

I've attempted to call them for two separate issues.

The first time I called I could never get an answer so I left a message. I have never received a call back.

When I called for the second issue I did get someone on the phone. The service was not great.

Maybe my expectations were too high. It's just when you spend that kind of money on a gun you'd expect better customer service.

So I'd probably give them a 5 out of 10.

I've also seen people post here who have had exceptional service from other vendors.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

sgb
    I have two Kimbers and never needed to contact Kimber about either one of them. All forums I've been on indicate that Springfields customer service however is without a doubt miles ahead of Kimbers which can be hit or miss.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Can't reply about Kimber. I can say that Springfield is fantastic! I had an issue with a safety on a 1911. They e-mailed me the UPS tag, fixed the gun within about one week, and sent it back to me. They totally replaced the safety. Compared to a couple of other gun manufacturers that I have had to use CS, Springfield wins hands down.

Distinguished Member
    My experience with there CS was bad. That's the main reason that I wouln't buy another one and there short warranty.

VIP Member
    I have owned a kimber or two and I thought their CS was piss poor. The guy preceded to go into this mode of acting as if I am some ignorant first time shooter and even questioned me on how I was cleaning and lubing my firearms. Then once I started pushing back, he said that they won't look at the issue since I had not put 500 rounds through the firearm yet.

Now let me tell you about a recent CS experience with Colt. I called them and mentioned my ambi thumb safety was a little loose while was inquiring about getting some work done like front strap checkering. They said send it in. Then I ping a guy from colt on the 1911 forums and he greeted my firearm personally when it got shipped there.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I was loyal to Sig for many years. Then I got to shoot my friend's Kimber. I got a Kimber P.C.II for Christmas and LOVE the 1911 platform, I called CS for inquiries for an ambi safety (since I shoot left) and they were VERY friendly and attentive.

The pistol shoots better than any of my sig's, it is an A++++++ for me.

A Handgun is a machine, thus is subjective to flaws. Customer service can depend on if the cube-dweller that answers the phone needs a cup of coffee, or a smoke, or is just having a manic day. The bottom line is you get good and bad with everything in life. Yin and Yang.

My EDC will be my Kimber for a while, and I can't say I will be buying anything but a Kimber. I am totally sold. I might get a wheel gun at some point for a BUG, but Kimber has a new loyal fan for life.

I hope you / and your girlfriend have a wonderful experience with whatever she ends up with. I vote YES for Kimber. Springfield is also a well made choice.

I own many Kimbers, and the only time I've had to use their customer service was when an almost ten year old Gold Combat's night sights went dim. The guy I spoke with (Dennis) was the most obnoxious, rude man I've ever spoken to, but he told me to send in the slide and they got the job done quickly. I think it's the New York attitude. I hear about the wonderful service from SA and wonder if it's because of all the practice they get??? The best customer service is none needed, as has been my experience with my Series-I Kimbers.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    From what I have gathered from this post as well as another I have posted on this forum concerning Kimber is that Kimber Customer Service is hit or miss. Some people have had trouble free guns and haven't had to use CS so it's not true that all Kimbers have quality issues. Some people have reported that they have called Kimber CS & had encountered great CS while at the same time others have reported poor CS in some form or another. It doesn't sound like that the factory performs inferior work if an item is sent in for repair or anything like that but that the CS agents have poor attitudes and or even a condescending tone as they deal with dissatisfied customers - assuming you can actually get a hold of an agent and speak to him/her or have an agent return your call if they miss your call.

It may be true that the best CS is the one you never have to use but unfortunately this doesn't appear to be a realistic expectation given that all manufacturers have a faulty item or ill begotten issue that needs to be occasionally addressed. I don't buy for one moment that Springfield has wonderful Customer Service because they have such an inferior product that their agents get plenty of practice answering calls from dissatisfied customers. The Ritz Carlton, for example, has a reputation for having outstanding CS & it's not because they are use to dealing with a multitude of dissatisfied customers that are angry about a faulty product that the Ritz has put to market. Speaking as a former CS agent I can tell you that quality CS has to be a priority at a company or said company will not have quality CS. Quality CS requires training and there is time and planning that goes into the execution of a quality service. Quality CS is not an accident and all the while it may not be possible for a company to satisfy all of the demands of a dissatisfied customer, there is no excuse for a CS agent delivering poor service under normal conditions. A part of CS is educating customers about your product or service. Sales reps should educate as they make a sale or after they have made a sale but this does not always happen and when it doesn't happen, the CS gets to be the one to pick up the slack. IF this, however, happens, an experienced CS agent will deliver information in a caring manner that is respectful to all parties involved.

Some people perhaps feel that when you buy a luxury item such as a Kimber, you should receive excellent CS as a part of the experience of owning a fine item. I personally believe that this is a reasonable expectation. I, for example, believe that you should receive a higher level of CS from Mercedes than you would from Chevrolet. One thing that I think some companies miss out on is that they could deliver a higher grade of CS as a means and method of differentiating themselves from the rest of their competition. Quality CS doesn't always cost more, etc.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. Kimbers are beautiful guns and I hope that you all get many years of enjoyment from your ownership. I hope that no one ever has to use their gun for defense regardless of make or model. God bless,
    DFG

The main spring for my UC II broke and needed replacement. Went to website for replacement: not available. Called Kimber, turns out the part was not available because it originated out of the Custom Shop. CS ordered the part for me and received it in 3 days at home. Can't complain at all.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

The only time I have needed it was to order parts to change out my sis with a single side safety, and hammer pin. They were as pleasant as can be. Springfields customer service is good too. Actually I cant say I have ever been treated rudely by any firearms customer rep, other than remington (ammunition plant), and colt. Colt had my anaconda for 3 months and never looked at it.

I realize that it shouldn't come to this and that customer service should be there for every customer. But, if you have a Kimber and need help take it to a Kimber dealer and see if they'll call Kimber for you. Kimber dealers are assigned a personal contact/sales person and usually work through them to resolve issues.

Most manufactures are hit and miss, I deal with most of them on almost a daily basis. They all have different policies that will get under your skin if you work with them a lot, it does help if your a certified dealer.From my personal experience this is how it pretty much shakes down.

Taurus has a great warranty but hands down hires the worst CS reps. Ruger is great to work with but, if you send anything to them it's coming back the way it left when it was new,so any mods made will be gone when you get it back. Springfield Excellent service hands down,never an issue with them. Kel Tec excellent service. Part breaks, call them and you'll have it in the mail in a couple of days. S&W wishy washy, which sucks because I like my S&W's. Glock excellent but even better if your a certified armorer. Rossi same as Taurus. Colt if you got the money they,have the time.

I have an Ultra CDP that had the front sight become loose. Local gunsmiths suggested that I return it to Kimber. I contacted Kimber and explained the problem. They had me send the slide only, I paid shipping there. They tightened up the front sight and returned it, freight paid. It took about 2 weeks to get it back. I called them during that time to inquire about the repair and got through no problem. I have read about Kimber CS problems in this blog but am satisfied by their response and work.

CS has always been an issue for me. Two quick comments. Springfield Armory is outstanding. Any questions, just give them a call and you usually get a good response immediately, while on the line. And although this second point is a rifle issue, if Springfield is outstanding, I need to create a new category for Rock River Arms. It's not that they treat you as if you were one of the family, they really believe you ARE one of the family. Put another way, if RRA made a public offering, I would buy stock in them at the drop of a hat.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I have a new Pro Carry II. After the second round at the range, I realized it was tossing cases back at my forehead way too frequently.

Called Customer Service, described what was happening. They immediately said "We can fix that!" Emailed me a UPS shipping label (their dime). Also emailed all the contact info for my customer service rep. Had the gun picked up while the UPS guy was making a delivery to my house.

Four weeks later, receive a call from Kimber telling me my gun was shipping back to me and would arrive on a certain day.

So far, I'm pleased. They didn't argue with me, were responsive and quick. Four weeks isn't unreasonable and they're paying shipping both ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links