Has anyone every tried Sccy CPX-1?

This is a discussion on Has anyone every tried Sccy CPX-1? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am very seriously considering purchasing a Sccy CPX-1 9mm. However, I would hate to buy a newly released gun (not many range reports) and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Has anyone every tried Sccy CPX-1?

I am very seriously considering purchasing a Sccy CPX-1 9mm. However, I would hate to buy a newly released gun (not many range reports) and find out I don't like it. Has anyone ever shot one of these? Perhaps heard reports? Please let me know.

Dave
    ArmyCop likes this.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    they aren't "newly released".

Just buy a KelTec P11, and get the real thing!

Why? What's wrong with the Sccy?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I have never shot one, but a guy in our class this past weekend had one. Shot 300 rounds in the class and he did not have any problems. He shot it well also.

A family member had one (before the company changed its name) and got rid of it within a couple months. It did not work good, very unreliable.

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong company....

Yes, I owned two, both replaced due to extreme failures, and I sold the replacements with full disclosure:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...highlight=SCCY

Read the above threads. If you still are considering an SCCY, go the the SCCY Forum and see if the problems have been fixed. There are some here that have had no problems with theirs, but I differed significantly.

Just my opinion.

I've had one since they first came out 5 years ago (serial number 772) and have never had a complaint. It's not my main defense gun and I shoot it enough just to keep familiar with the gun and how it operates. However it is reliable enough with 500+ rounds through it to date with no FTF or other problems that I trust it to work if I ever need it. OTOH, other people have reported problems, but the company is usually quick to respond and correct any issues.

Still, my experience has been good and I've recommended the CPX to friends and family members.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

They are located in my area, and I woudn't own one. The majority of the ones I've seen have had broken safety levers. I've seen about five with slide or frame failures.

The company was known as "Skky" until a certain vodka company sued them and they became "Sccy".
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

My Captain has one and I tried to run the gun to see how it felt. I went for a box of fifty and didn't finish. The position of the safety and my grip on the gun was no good. After the second shot or doing a "double tap" the safety would engage. It was frustrating. I didn't like it. I tried slow fire and had no issues. But when it came to rapid fire I could not get past two rounds. I wouldn't buy one but rent it and see if you like it.
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

I have 2 and they are my EDC..... No issues at all as far as dependability.. they go bang when the trigger is pulled. These firearms are low enough in price that instead of carrying a spare magazine... I just carry a second gun! Much faster reloads that way, lol

They have addressed the "safety engaging" issue with a slight re-design of the safety spring and detent on the lever. One of mine is from before, and the other after the re-design... no issues with either one once I held the gun correctly (and only 2 times in the first 20 rounds with the 1st pistol did I engage the safety by accident and none since).

I have, however, sanded/filed away most of the finger grooves on the front of the grip... they did not fit my fingers correctly, and forced my hand into an uncomfortable position when gripping the gun. (this might also have been one of the reasons of the inadvertent safety engagement problem too)
    They have just released a new model in the last few months that has done away with the safety.. not needed anyway since this is a double-action only design.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    To the OP: Why would you consider an unknown questionable brand pistol when high quality proven, good brand pistols are available in comperable or the same price range?

Keltec Pf9 and p11 are proven reliable weapons, and Keltec is a proven brand. Even Taurus is offering a slim "baby 9mm". Kahr pm9 is not too much out of budget either? I believe Ruger is coming out with a new comperable 9mm as well.

I just don't see why someone would trust their lives of such a "upstart" brand when so many other proven performers are readily available?
    5lima30ret likes this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post

I just don't see why someone would trust their lives of such a "upstart" brand when so many other proven performers are readily available?

Because they ARENT an "upstart" brand, been around for at least 5 years for one..... Have YOU ever shot one? Do you own one? Or are you just being a snob like those that only like Glocks or 1911's and talking from ZERO experience about the subject (SCCY) besides hearsay and internet rumors?

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    Because they ARENT an "upstart" brand, been around for at least 5 years for one..... Have YOU ever shot one? Do you own one? Or are you just being a snob like those that only like Glocks or 1911's and talking from ZERO experience about the subject (SCCY) besides hearsay and internet rumors?
    I never said they were good or bad. Read my post. What did I based on hearsay? I merely posed a question. 5 years is certainly a "upstart" brand when compared to 16(Kahr Arms), 20 (Keltec),26(Sig),29 (Glock), 60 (Ruger), 72 (Taurus) ,....etc...

You seem rather defensive over these? How could I be a "gun snob" when I'm a proponet of an inexpensive weapon like a KELTEC? I'm just wondering why someone would chose to trust their lives in a company that has a significantly shorter track record.

Its like not like a Keltec is $900, and a Sccy is $200. There is not a huge, significant price difference. I just asked why. ( Which, I may add, you have not answered.)

(For the record, I don't own either a Glock, or 1911. I've never owned either. )

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    To the OP: Why would you consider an unknown questionable brand pistol when high quality proven,VS good brand pistols are available in comperable or the same price range?

Keltec Pf9 and p11 are proven reliable weapons, and Keltec is a proven brand. Even Taurus is offering a slim "baby 9mm". Kahr pm9 is not too much out of budget either? I believe Ruger is coming out with a new comperable 9mm as well.

What else would you call what you wrote there?

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    What else would you call what you wrote there?
    Chosing to trust my life on something I know to be reliable. If you find the Sccy to be reliable, GREAT. Its a larger risk that it may be unreliable. There is a larger risk the company might tank or go under when you have a warrenty claim or need a part.

Again, why do you not answer my question?

I've handled a Sccy, it feels nice in my hand. I have nothing against that particular weapon, or newer companies, just want to know WHY. No more, no less. As stated in my original post. (And yet to be answered by you.)

(PS, simply searching "Sccy" on these boards resulted in 2 pages, might find some valuable information from owners there.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links