XD 9 SC Expected accuracy?

This is a discussion on XD 9 SC Expected accuracy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got back from shooting my new XD9 sub-compact. I'm not a good shot. I know that. Haven't had much experience. Best I could manage ...

Thread: XD 9 SC Expected accuracy?

XD 9 SC Expected accuracy?

Just got back from shooting my new XD9 sub-compact. I'm not a good shot. I know that. Haven't had much experience. Best I could manage was a 2" group at 7 yards standing. Most groups were 4-5". What should I be striving for realistically with this gun?

2. Remove Ads

If you yourself admit you are not a good shot there is no reason to be looking at the accuracy of the gun. Its the indian and not the arrow; you've heard the phrase. The gun will manage a ragged hole at 10 yards if you will.

Focus on the basics- sight picture, trigger control, breathe. Have a more experienced buddy show you or check out some of the videos on youtube. Believe me, its difficult to shoot a pistol accurately. Focus on maintaining sight alignment while slowly squeezing the trigger and let the trigger break SURPRISE you. The biggest mistake of new shooters is anticipating recoil and flinching as they jerk the trigger, even if you dont realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by HiPower9 View Post
    If you yourself admit you are not a good shot there is no reason to be looking at the accuracy of the gun. Its the indian and not the arrow; you've heard the phrase. The gun will manage a ragged hole at 10 yards if you will.

Focus on the basics- sight picture, trigger control, breathe. Have a more experienced buddy show you or check out some of the videos on youtube. Believe me, its difficult to shoot a pistol accurately. Focus on maintaining sight alignment while slowly squeezing the trigger and let the trigger break SURPRISE you. The biggest mistake of new shooters is anticipating recoil and flinching as they jerk the trigger, even if you dont realize it.
    What HiPower9 said. Try sneaking a snap cap into one of your magazines when you go to the range. You will immediately see if you're jerking the trigger or flinching in anticipation of the shot. Lots of dry fire practice works wonders.
    Last edited by ming; January 18th, 2011 at 11:11 AM.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Work on your shooting basics; the XD9sc is a tack driver for such a small piece. I am not saying that to sound condescending or high and mighty, either. Remember to train to be good first, fast second. Good mechanics will end up being faster in a SD situation anyway! I think that your XD will shoot great, but that you might want to work on the basics to get it to perform like it should.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Dry fire with snap caps will definitely help with trigger control. If you shoot consistent 2"groups you should be pretty happy. One thing that most of us don't do enough of is practicing drawing from our normal holster position and firing (dry). I know that my range will allow me to if no one else is there but that does not happen very often. Trigger control is important, but it does not matter if you don't get the gun from the holster to the target. Practice, practice, practice!

Good luck.

You will improve with practice. That is what you need practice, practice, practice!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

When I shoot the broadside of any barn in range is not safe
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

7 yrds, 50 rds, second 50 rd session with the gun.

First 3 shots of the second session.

It's more accurate than my G19. As much as I hate to say that. It's my wife's EDC. If I had know how well it shot I would have bought one. To be honest, this was strictly a paper punching session. When I am shooting for practice, I don't go for the big ragged hole look. I generally go for speed of rounds on target. Get the most rounds into the best spot as quick as possible. My targets from that don't look anything like this. Take all this for what you paid for it, hope it helps.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Agreed with everything already said, the XDsc is a very accurate pistol for the size that it is.

Get more range time and start by working on a good grip and trigger control. Shoot slow and concentrate on relaxed accurate shots. The accuracy will come with familiarity and muscle memory. so just keep your focus on good shooting habits and you'll get there.

If you're seeing a lot of shots off in a specific direction, print out the target that will help diagnose why you are not hitting center. It's about 3/4 down the page and there is one for left or right handed shooters.

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html

TCT
    Unless one is a highly skilled shooter, a XD9 Sub C is as accurate as the person who pulls the trigger.

I enjoy shooting mine.

It will hit the bad guys just fine in a self defense situation as long as the trigger puller is well trained.

Mine always hits precisely where I'm aiming

(which is not always exactly where I wanted it)

Links