Defensive Carry banner

LCP life cycle

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Fitch 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have no interest in the LCP but am very interested in Ruger's new LC9. What I would like to know is the history of the LCP. I know there was great demand for the gun when it was first introduced then the recall came. Starting with it's introduction how long did it take before you could buy one and feel Ruger had the bugs worked out?

Logic tells me that the LC9 will follow the same basic life cycle. Do you agree?

Also, how long will it take before the street prices, for the LC9 to moderate?

I have been trying to decide on a subcompact pistol and when the LC9 came along it seems like it might meet my needs. The problem is, I don't want to wait forever before I can make a purchase.

Thanks to everyone who responds.

#2 ·
Coming from someone who can be rather obsessive when trying to figure out which gun to buy, I will just say, go ahead and take the plunge. If you like it, keep it. If you don't like it, get rid of it. I doubt you'll be losing any money on it if you decide to get rid of it.

After agonizing sometimes for more than two years trying to decide which gun to get, what caliber, etc, etc, etc... I'm am pretty much coming to accept this philosophy. If you think it will be a gun which will fit your needs, go ahead and get it. That's the only way you'll know for sure if it's right for YOU.

#5 ·
Hard to say. In general, I would say wait a year before buying any new model from any maker.

My wife wanted an LCP when they first came out. It was subject to the recall. Then, last year, the head of the takedown pin sheared off at the range. The gun still fired, but Ruger paid to have it shipped back, and they rebuilt the pistol to the latest specs. The slide and barrel are slightly different now.

I bought one a while later, and it has been flawless. It has the "old style" slide and barrel.

I then bought another one, and it had to go back to Ruger twice to get it running right. It now has the "new style" slide and barrel. [Old style has a rectangular notch for the slide lock, newer ones are tapered toward the front] I asked Ruger to test fire the gun with 100 rounds (instead of their usual 24) before shipping it back to me the second time - and they did.

While a pain, I will say that Ruger stands behind their products - they will fix it, and they will also pick up the freight. I paid much more money for other maker's guns (cough...cough...Kahr...cough) and they would NOT pay for the freight to have their guns fixed. That's inexcusable.

So, if you want the LC9, and are not willing to wait a bit for any bugs to get worked out, I say go for it...because I am confident that Ruger would fix any issues - though it may take a few attempts. If you'd rather not deal with that, then wait a while.

#6 ·
I bought an LCP as soon as I could get my hands on one. It had to go back as part of the recall. No problem. It was gone two weeks and came back all fixed with an extra magazine. I like the gun a lot. It reduced to zero the number of times I've gone unarmed when I didn't want to - it's the most concealable handgun I own.

I have an LC9 on order through my LGS. I'll buy it and not worry about it. Ruger stands behind their product. I'm hoping the LC9 will reduce the number of times I end up carrying the LCP by being a bit easier to conceal than the G26. Don't misunderstand - I'll carry the G26 every time I can hide it. But there are times when the thing is just too thick to conceal well on my small frame. Those are the times I'll carry the LC9 when I can instead of the LCP.

I have a Walther PPK/S that I'd had for several years before Walther recalled it. I never had an issue, but sent it in and it was returned in about 6 weeks. It's worked flawlessly since, but it had worked flawlessly before it was fixed too. But it will be traded in on the LC9 because I'll have no use for it when the LC9 arrives.

Fitch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.