Opinions on FN 5.7

Opinions on FN 5.7

This is a discussion on Opinions on FN 5.7 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am on the mend from having my shoulder basically rebuilt from years of abuse. l had rotator cuff repaired, bones chips removed,and parts of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on FN 5.7

Opinions on FN 5.7

I am on the mend from having my shoulder basically rebuilt from years of abuse. l had rotator cuff repaired, bones chips removed,and parts of my bicep reattached. l am twelve weeks post op and three weeks in to PT . However l still cannot comfortably hold my 1911. although lt's getting better .l was thinking of a FN 5.7 for now as it looks like l have a long road ahead before l can go back to my true love my springfield TRP . Are there any opinions on the FN other then availablity of ammo.
    thx

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Are you wanting this to get back into shooting, or for defense purposes? I look at this cartridge as something created that no one really wanted. Expensive to buy, expensive to supply. It a niche rounds, a small niche at that. For the sake of keeping in practice, I'd go with a .22 first. For defense, I'd rather have the berated .380 or a 9mm.

Rotators cuffs take forever to heal. Good luck with yours. Hopefully the 9111 will once again comfortably fill your hand.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The ammo has never been hard to find around my locale. The gun show price is about $18 a box. The gun is lightweight, robust, very reliable, easy to clean, soft shooting and accurate. The round is much more effective than some give it credit. The 5.7 may be an excellent choice while on the mend. It is a bit large for concealed carry, but that is it's only shortcoming in filling in as your temporary pistol.
    Last edited by ripley16; January 19th, 2011 at 10:35 PM.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    You might want to find a Keltec PMR30 which is a poor man's FN 5.7. I hope this helps. Praying for your speedy and complete recovery !!! God Bless

Supposedly the FN 5.7 is a great shooting gun with very low recoil allowing for quick and accurate follow up shots. I'm hoping to get one myself. I'm hoping the price will come down.

I'd say go for it.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I agree with most above, from what I've heard, it is very light recoil, I've handled it and can assure you, it weighs next to nothing. The gun is a bit on the expensive side for me, however, it is also FN and that means it is well made, and I would like to get my grubby little mitts on one, sooner than later. Sounds to me like you have a great excuse to get one and have alot of fun. 2 things to remmeber tho... 1, you can conceal anything, so, ignore that, the right holster and clothing will cover anything. 2, this round was designed SPECIFICALY TO PENETRATE and to travel long distances. Make sure you have your collateral targets assessed before you fire.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

The FiveseveN is a very nice pistol that is easy to shoot well. Sounds like it fits your needs. Don't let the ill-informed remarks on the caliber prematurely sway you. Research it a bit and then decide.

Best wishes on your shoulder.

The bullet tumbles on impact! Tons of force behind the bullet, deadly accurate. No recoil. Watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or20R2MGDsA

You can also buy the best self defense ammo and cheap practice ammo online for good prices, people generalize from what they hear even when they know close to nothing like some in this thread!

www.eliteammunition.com

Its a great gun for the beginner, low recoil . only downside is ammo availablility and cost.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Do we know the bullet tumbles on impact?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
    The bullet tumbles on impact! Tons of force behind the bullet, deadly accurate. No recoil. Watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or20R2MGDsA
    Wow. That is some of the worst shooting I've ever seen. Completely missing the silhouette at point blank range ? I have to wonder how many of those 40 rounds ended up hitting the ceiling of the range.

A lot of places would have tossed that guy out immediately - for good reason.

You can also buy the best self defense ammo and cheap practice ammo online for good prices, people generalize from what they hear even when they know close to nothing like some in this thread!

www.eliteammunition.com
    Please cite sime evidence for this "tumbling" bullet claim.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Wow. That is some of the worst shooting I've ever seen. Completely missing the silhouette at point blank range ? I have to wonder how many of those 40 rounds ended up hitting the ceiling of the range.

A lot of places would have tossed that guy out immediately - for good reason.

Please cite sime evidence for this "tumbling" bullet claim.

Matt
    LOL at the reading comprehension for the video. It was obviously there just to show how little recoil the gun has. Whether or not the guy is an idiot doesnt matter. And you are incorrect about getting thrown out, he had range permission if you look on the side there are two move videos of people in his party doing the exact thing.

Proof of tumbling 5.7

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Here's a link to one test that demonstrates how the round tumbles.
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/SS195%20...clothing).html

Senior Moderator
    LOL at the reading comprehension for the video. It was obviously there just to show how little recoil the gun has. Whether or not the guy is an idiot doesnt matter. And you are incorrect about getting thrown out, he had range permission if you look on the side there are two move videos of people in his party doing the exact thing.
    Idiots often travel in packs. The fact that his friends can't shoot competently, either, is irrelevant.

Proof of tumbling 5.7

Here is an examination of the terminal effects of the 5.7 from a noted authority: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19913

The real-world experience shows that the 9mm FMJ is more highly rated as a stopper than the 5.7. In fact, according to the article above, several police agencies that bought the 5.7 got rid of them after a few officer involved shootings demonstrated that the round is a very poor man stopper.

It is also worthy of note that while the 5.7 round may exhibit yaw (tumbling is what gymnasts do) when fired from the longer barrel of the P90, the velocity is lower from the pistol which would reduce both the tendency to yaw and the amount of energy delivered.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    If you buy the civilian load with the 40 gr VMAX bullet, the answer is a definite no. That bullet is extremely fragile, and will very quickly expand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links