NEW Ruger LC9 Pistol Comming FEB 2011 - Page 2

NEW Ruger LC9 Pistol Comming FEB 2011

This is a discussion on NEW Ruger LC9 Pistol Comming FEB 2011 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Lateck Some have said it is in stores? It isn't being offered on GunBroker.com yet, although the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle is ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NEW Ruger LC9 Pistol Comming FEB 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Lateck
    Some have said it is in stores?
    It isn't being offered on GunBroker.com yet, although the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle is being sold there.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'm not sure if I'd could notice a difference, but it looks like Keltec still gets to hold onto the claim of lightest/flattest 9mm.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Is a nice looking pistol, especially for the price.

I would not go too light on a 9mm, otherwise the recoil will be too much. I have a Sig P239, because of its weight it feels like a large pistol at the range, (very low recoil and easy to control) and still very confortable to carry. The perfect gun for me. I will check that Ruger though, I like that it is double action only.

Easy to control = greater accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateck View Post
    Some Ruger & Elsiepea forums already have a number of threads about this nice new gun.
    Some have said it is in stores?????????

Lateck,
    Cabelas has it listed on their website for $399.99.
    God bless our troops!

As much recoil the LCP has with .380 bullets I think I will stick with my SR9c. Little harder to hide but it can be done. Plus I have a minimum of ten rounds.

fknipfer1

I want to like this gun, but the manual safety (not necessary on a DAO gun) and the magazine disconnect safety are deal breakers for me. I realize the price is good, but for me the Kahr PM9 is a better option. I have one and if you can afford it, I still think it's the best slim 9mm on the market. Everyone is trying to come out with something like the PM9. Nothing compares, just yet.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld View Post
    I want to like this gun, but the manual safety (not necessary on a DAO gun) and the magazine disconnect safety are deal breakers for me. I realize the price is good, but for me the Kahr PM9 is a better option. I have one and if you can afford it, I still think it's the best slim 9mm on the market. Everyone is trying to come out with something like the PM9. Nothing compares, just yet.
    My very thought. Almost only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades, and high yield nuclear weapons.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

los
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I haven't held one yet, but from this review http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LC9.htm it's trigger mechanism is much like the Glock. From what Jeff wrote it appears it is partially cocked by the slide and blocked by an internal safety. the striker moves the rest of the way to the rear and then is released when the trigger is pulled just like the Glock and LCP. I think the manual safety and loaded chamber indicator were put on it to open up the CA market. I'm good with that. The more they sell, the better IMO. We need financially successful gun companies.

The LC9 and CW9 are almost the same size. Height (4.5") and thickness (0.9") are the same, the LC9 is 0.1" longer than the CW9. I've shot the CW9 and done OK with it, and it's a proven gun, been on the market for years unchanged, but I'm not fond of the trigger.. The Kimber Solo is thicker than my Glock 26, thickness is bad. Longer is less of a problem than thicker. What I'm looking for is thinner. The Kimber Solo isn't thinner, and on some other forums is having some significant teething problems.

Be interesting to see how the LC9 feels and shoots in comparison to the CW9. I'm hoping I like the LC9 trigger better - if I do, I'll buy it right then and there.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    ...The Kimber Solo is thicker than my Glock 26...
    Fitch
    No, it's not. I handled (i.e. fondled and groped...) a Solo for 10 minutes at the gun store. Kimber must be including the manual thumb safety in their width measurement. I'm not much on thumb safeties, but these worked pretty well and weren't obtrusive. The Kimber is much more streamlined than a Glock, overall.

Ruger and Kimber are certainly making it tough to decide on just which one to buy/carry. For me the Ruger wins in the width, capacity, and price categories but the Kimber wins in length and trigger categories. SAO striker fired makes me very interested in the Kimber but their price point makes it tough to swallow. Ruger and Kimber will both sell a ton of these little guns, just which brand will get my money will come down to me being able to handle each at my local GS.

los

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Even though Kimber states that the Solo is 1.2inches, having actually handle one, it looks to be much thinner than the Glock. Even if they are counting the little wings of the ambi safety, I would still think it is under the 1.2 inches as anyone that has handled the SOLO will probably agree with me the safety is realy nothing like a regular 1911 in that they are really small or at least that is what I thought. God Bless

los
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    ... Even though Kimber states that the Solo is 1.2inches, having actually handle one, it looks to be much thinner than the Glock.
    I agree. Reviewing the online videos it appears that the Solo is much thinner than the 1.20" factory specification and definitely thinner than a G26 at the width of slide.

I think Kimber is measuring the O/A width including ambi thumb safeties.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    I agree. Reviewing the online videos it appears that the Solo is much thinner than the 1.20" factory specification and definitely thinner than a G26 at the width of slide.

I think Kimber is measuring the O/A width including ambi thumb safeties.

If I go to the range tonight, the gun shop has a SOLO that is already sold but still in the showcase. I will try and remember to bring my micrometer and measure it so the truth be told God Bless

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links