NEW Ruger LC9 Pistol Comming FEB 2011 - Page 5

NEW Ruger LC9 Pistol Comming FEB 2011

This is a discussion on NEW Ruger LC9 Pistol Comming FEB 2011 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I could look at these charts all day. Very informative and just plain fun....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: NEW Ruger LC9 Pistol Comming FEB 2011

Okay, I could look at these charts all day. Very informative and just plain fun.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I just checked the LC9 stats against the Kahr CW9, and the measurements are just about identical. I'm talking length, height, weight and thickness. That was surprising to me, since I thought the LC9 was smaller, and never considered the CW9 to be a real small gun.

I had a CW9, and it was hardly a pocket gun. I liked it, and it ran flawlessly, but for some reason, my trigger finger would get pinched between the trigger and the slot in the frame for the trigger; resulting in a blister on the side portion of my trigger finger after about 25 rounds fired. I finally traded it.

That size gun was not the end all be all of concealed carry as I had hoped. It was only moderately smaller and easier to conceal than my Glock 26.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Honestly, after years of carrying off duty as a Police Officer (Inside Waist Holster carry specific) I had more trouble trying to dig out a small thin semi-auto than any revolver or standard to commander size handgun.. granted the mouse guns are comfortable but getting them out fast when you need them counts for something also in my book. You can't beat the way a grip sets with that "hook" contour when you grab it plus the thick part is where it should be the cylinder on a revolver flushes with the waistband and those three inch or less barrels don't hang down ur pants like a semi does. It must be why now a days I carry a sp101 or a jframe more than anything. If anything the next thing i'll get for carry will be a seven shot or standard six shot .357 like a used model 66 two and half incher or a model 19 either with the older smaller round butt grip.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I've wanted a slim stack Ruger 9mm for a few years now.

Can't wait till I get one in March- when I turn 49.

This will also mark me as retiring from most internet activities, and leave it to you guys with better health,
    more time and resources- who will be keeping the CZ and Ruger flags flying high.

The LC9 will make a dandy belt gun for me, when other 9mm autos kill my back.
    Hopefully..a good little gun for my retirement years.

Very Disappointed

Love my LCP, so I assumed the LC9 would be the same quality. Purchased one on Tuesday, sold it on Friday.

I could get past the fact that is has a magazine disconnect.
    I could get past the fact it has a manual safety.
    I could get past the fact it has an internal lock.
    I could get past the fact it had a pop-up loaded chamber indicator.

What I couldn't get past are the following:
    Trigger was horrible - creepy, crunchy, LONG (and I mean LONNNNNNNNNNG) - all-in-all, a horrible trigger.
    The manual safety sticks WAY out on the side, making it awkward & uncomfortable (and unnecessary considering the mile-long trigger pull)
    Finish started wearing off after 3 days.
    The pop-up loaded chamber indicator looked like it was painted with red nail polish by a 13 year-old girl
    Checkering on the front strap was very uncomfortable during firing.
    More felt-recoil than my Kahr PM40 in .40 S&W.

The only gun I've ever purchased that was sold back faster was a $50 Bryco Jennings in .380.

In my opinion, the only thing Ruger really thought through on this gun was all the ways they could sell it in the People's Republic of Massachusetts and California.

Others may have a fantastic experience with it, but this was mine. I highly suggest doing a thorough examination (and rental if possible) before you buy.

Put a Taurus PT709 Slim on order.

LCP - Very successful (whether you think that they "copied" Kel Tec or not)
    LCR - Innovative
    LC9 - Junk

I have the SR9 and the LC9... I can pocket the LC9 with no problems at all. It is only .5 taller and .5 longer than my MK9 Kahr. I find the trigger to be long but very smooth and not gritty at all. For the recoil I found it had less recoil than my SR9......... Very comfortable to shoot and very accurate. My bluing is still the same after a month of wearing it in my pocket.

Now for the safety sticking way out on the side is a not even close to the truth. It is only about .25 of an inch wide....

It has now replaced my main carry gun.

This gun is going to be a big seller for Ruger.

steve

Been awhile since I've posted here, but I stop by fairly often to see what's up. Today I was searching on holster options for the LC9 and Google led me to this and a couple of other threads. Very glad it did.

First, los, those comparison charts are just awesome. Thanks so much for them.

I am considering the LC9 for my wife. She has her CCP, but I just can't get her to carry consistently. Between limited holster availability for her CZ 2075 RAMI and the discomfort associated with carrying concealed to begin with, plus having to dress professionally for her job and the concealment/comfort limitations that adds to the mix, the weapon stays on her nightstand a lot more than it ever gets outside for anything other than practice at the range. She loves to shoot, is quite proficient and safety conscious in the handling of guns, and even agrees with me that carrying part-time makes her just as unprepared as not carrying at all. She just won't go through the "getting-used-to-it" learning curve she must endure that makes carrying second-nature to the rest of us.

Soooo, I have some questions here, which los's charts help to answer some of, but not all.

From the reviews I've read so far, the safety is unneeded. For my wife's purposes, it's a comfort issue, as she would not carry with the safety on anyway. The long trigger pull that everyone seems to agree on would negate the need for the safety, and that's how she carries the RAMI (when she does carry) already, so no new learning curve for her there. But is it possible to do away with the safety? Can it be replaced with a non-functional pin that sits flush with the surface of the slide? Haven't looked at a schematic of it yet. I can probably figure that out for myself, but just wondered if anyone had thought about it and looked into it already. It would be a fairly significant increase in comfort if it could be accomplished without spending an arm and a leg to get it done.

Also, does anyone know within an ounce or two how much the LC9 weighs loaded? I know it will vary slightly according to the ammo used, but just a fairly close estimate will help.

And lastly, I need comfortable carry options recommendations. I'm thinking a thigh holster similar to this one as a main system. If there's either women reading this who carry, or men whose wives carry who can offer experienced opinions on types of carry systems for women specific to the LC9 or customizable to it, I'd really appreciate it.

TIA. Have a Good'un,

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    From the reviews I've read so far, the safety is unneeded. For my wife's purposes, it's a comfort issue, as she would not carry with the safety on anyway. The long trigger pull that everyone seems to agree on would negate the need for the safety, and that's how she carries the RAMI (when she does carry) already, so no new learning curve for her there. But is it possible to do away with the safety?
    Want an LC9 with out the safety? Simple. Get a Kahr CW9 or KelTech PF9. Almost exactly the same size and weight, almost identical to shoot. KelTech is a bit thinner as I recall.

Want the pistol that is the easiest gun to carry and conceal 24/7 regardless of clothing requirements? Get an LCP or P3AT. The LCP is the gun that got my sister packing.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    My LC9 came in March, just went last week. hated the excessively long trigger pull on it. Replaced it with a Kahr CW45 and not regretting it at all.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I love mine.Hadit since Feb.600 flawless rounds.Very accurate (more so than my gen 4 glock 26 with -3# trigger pull with no overtravel).Carries great. I have owned 3 other similar micro-single stack 9mm's.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Want an LC9 with out the safety? Simple. Get a Kahr CW9
    For half again as much. No thanks.

or KelTech PF9.
    Know where to find a new one? I've looked. There's none available.

Almost exactly the same size and weight, almost identical to shoot. KelTech is a bit thinner as I recall.
    I own a Kel-Tec SU-16 and love it. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another model, but they're nowhere to be had. My local store has the LC9 in stock and on sale. That's why I asked specifically about that weapon in a thread that is specifically about that weapon.

Want the pistol that is the easiest gun to carry and conceal 24/7 regardless of clothing requirements? Get an LCP or P3AT. The LCP is the gun that got my sister packing.
    Obviously neither my wife or me is interested in a .380 or I would've at least mentioned it as an alternative, but thanks for offering advice on everything except for the weapon I actually inquired about.

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

Want an LC9 with out the safety? Simple. Get a Kel Tech PF9. Almost exactly the same size and weight, almost identical to shoot. KelTech is a bit thinner as I recall.
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Know where to find a new one? I've looked. There's none available.
    GunBroker.com has about 30 Kel Tec PF9's right now.

Check them out. I've bought from Gun Broker.com before. My local FFL only charges $5 transfer fee. Heck I may pick one up myself. The PF9 gets good reviews by Nutnfancy on YouTube. Has some videos using it hard in run-n-gun videos.

YouTube - ‪nutnfancy's Channel‬‏

Shootoff: Ruger LC9 vs. Kel Tec PF9
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    GunBroker.com has about 30 Kel Tec PF9's right now.

Check them out. I've bought from Gun Broker.com before. My local FFL only charges $5 transfer fee. Heck I may pick one up myself. The PF9 gets good reviews by Nutnfancy on YouTube. Has some videos using it hard in run-n-gun videos.

Shootoff: Ruger LC9 vs. Kel Tec PF9
    Thanks Bark'n, that was helpful, especially the last link to the shoot-off between the Ruger and Kel-Tec.

I've bought from Gun Broker before too, and though I don't have any particular problem with doing so again, a conglomeration of circumstances has come together at the same time that has made the wife not only ready, but actually committed to the idea of finding a gun she can carry comfortably all the time. She is definitely not going to be agreeable to buying a gun that she can't even hold in her hand before buying it. One learns these things after 24 years together.

One of the last things Derek from Impact Guns said on that shoot-off video is something to the effect of, "I'd recommend the PF9 if I could get 'em." That was probably missed by almost everyone who watched the video, but I watched the whole thing, even the chatter at the end, and found that one of the more significant "data points" mentioned.

My wife has already held the LC9 in her hand and liked it. I will definitely have her watch that video though before buying one. The trigger especially is a problem even for highly experienced shooters. I do have a concern about the Kel-Tec though, that the Ruger doesn't present the same potential problem. The rail on the PF9, and the squared-off, comparatively sharp corners of the frame near the muzzle, seems like an obvious pressure point for someone considering carrying in a thigh holster. It's one of those things that I have to consider and try to think out for myself since retailers never have them in stock to hold and evaluate for myself, or my wife for herself.

Bottom line, my wife is a good shooter, but that shoot-off video shows clearly that even good shooters can't hit what they're aiming at with the Ruger. Definitely a very important consideration, whether we consider the Kel-Tec as the only alternative or not. (She also held the Kimber Solo Carry and that was her favorite by far. Mine too for that matter, but also literally twice as much as the Ruger, and also unavailable at our local store as of a couple of months ago.)

Still like to hear from any women or spouses of women who have experience carrying in a thigh holster.

Thanks,

Blues

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links