Oh dear, I fear resistance is futile.

This is a discussion on Oh dear, I fear resistance is futile. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've been looking for a secondary pistol that can be my BUG as well as my EDC when I don't feel like lugging around ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I've been looking for a secondary pistol that can be my BUG as well as my EDC when I don't feel like lugging around an all steel fullsize 1911.

I looked at the LCP the Kimber Solo Carry (a display model at my LGS), the P-3AT, the Kahr line-up, the Diamondback DB380, the Bersa Thunder 380, the Sig P238...pretty much any pocket pistol I could get my hands on. The LCP felt nice, but I don't really want to stake my life on a .380.

Next I tried all the currently available 9mm pistols that fit my criteria of being able to be pocket carried; I'm a 21 year old college student, so my fashionable jeans have pockets that can easily swallow my dad's Bersa Thunder 380. So that being said, my definition of a pocket pistol is substantially different than most people's definition. Anyways, I tried the PF-9, the Walther PPS, and anything else that looked good, but each had something that I didn't like. I also looked at the J-frame revolvers, but wheel guns just aren't my thing yet.

Now, just as I was about to give up, an employee at the other LGS I go to suggested I take a look at the Glock 30 and Glock 30SF. They were awful feeling in my hand, though the 30SF almost fit the bill; and as I was begrudging the two Glocks something caught my eye: the Glock 36. It was at this point that I was assimilated into the Glock collective. I can't describe it, but it's the only other pistol that I have ever held that feels as natural in my hands as my 1911! It also fit easily into the front pocket of the jeans I was wearing, which just so happen to be the jeans with the shallowest pockets.

I'm going to be saving up for it over the next couple of months. How do you guys like the G36?

My only question is are there any floorplates that expand the capacity?

I just got a police trade in 36, at a pretty good deal. I long said if I was gonna buy a Glock, it would be a 36, but I don't have enough trouble free rounds through it yet to call it ready for carry.

I shoot it well, not quite up there with my 1911's, but better than some other pistols. I think it is a little big and heavy for pocket carry, guess even though I am young, I am out of style when it comes to jeans.

As far as the floorplates, there are some available. But I got two mags with mine, one standard, and one with a Pearce extension, guess which one gave me 2 FTF's in my first 100 rounds? And it can be shot accurately and comfortably with the stock mags.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I hated Glocks. Then I arranged for a number of popular guns to be fired by my wife while she was looking for her first gun. While she was taking a break I decided to try a G19. After the first mag I had to shoot another...It had me.

I honestly have never picked up a pistol that points so perfectly for me. I have taken to Glock like a duck takes to water and I'm not looking back.

Glocks, popular for a reason!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

No idea how you fit that in your pants pocket, but glad it works out for you.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

G36 is a GREAT pistol. When first out, there were some problems but those all seem to be worked out. I would be sure to buy a current production 36. I have tried many extended floorplates and have not yet found one I would trust my life with. The spring in the 36 is designed around a 6 round capacity.

I have a G36 on my belt. It is my EDC, replacing the G17 and G26. My favorite Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    So I've been looking for a secondary pistol that can be my BUG as well as my EDC when I don't feel like lugging around an all steel fullsize 1911.

I looked at the LCP the Kimber Solo Carry (a display model at my LGS), the P-3AT, the Kahr line-up, the Diamondback DB380, the Bersa Thunder 380, the Sig P238...pretty much any pocket pistol I could get my hands on. The LCP felt nice, but I don't really want to stake my life on a .380.

Next I tried all the currently available 9mm pistols that fit my criteria of being able to be pocket carried; I'm a 21 year old college student, so my fashionable jeans have pockets that can easily swallow my dad's Bersa Thunder 380. So that being said, my definition of a pocket pistol is substantially different than most people's definition. Anyways, I tried the PF-9, the Walther PPS, and anything else that looked good, but each had something that I didn't like. I also looked at the J-frame revolvers, but wheel guns just aren't my thing yet.

Now, just as I was about to give up, an employee at the other LGS I go to suggested I take a look at the Glock 30 and Glock 30SF. They were awful feeling in my hand, though the 30SF almost fit the bill; and as I was begrudging the two Glocks something caught my eye: the Glock 36. It was at this point that I was assimilated into the Glock collective. I can't describe it, but it's the only other pistol that I have ever held that feels as natural in my hands as my 1911! It also fit easily into the front pocket of the jeans I was wearing, which just so happen to be the jeans with the shallowest pockets.

I'm going to be saving up for it over the next couple of months. How do you guys like the G36?

My only question is are there any floorplates that expand the capacity?
    I love my g36. I carry it in a Remora holster both pocket and iwb. I use a +1 base plate on all of my mags.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Rick

Gun owners' prayer:
    "Dear Lord; if I die please don't let my wife sell my gun collection...........for what I told her it was worth"

Nice choice. It was gonna be my intro into the world of 45 acp and then a Glock 21 called my name on the very day I went to go purchase the Glock 36. The rest is 13+1 round history!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I had several handguns several years ago and my wife was interested in learning how to shoot. She tried several and settled on my 3 inch HB S&W model 36. A couple of years ago she shot my S&W Wesson model 13 and then claimed it.

She has been CCW'ing that revolver for a while. Six months ago we were out shooting and she asked to shoot my G19. At the end of the shooting session She turned to me and said Thank You. The Glock 19 is now hers.

Good Lord I can't knock Glocks though I refer to their sub line-up as "blocks" due to their thick bulky feel and the hanging pinky finger adds to the "thick" feeling but the phenomena with these models is actual shooting is actually nice and the hanging pinky is not an issue especially if you get that floor plate that has a piece for your digit. I have had my G27 for years and will keep it so long as our Duty round is 40 s&w.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

G36 was my latest Glock, all I can say is I can't believe I waited as long as I did.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

A new development occurred tonight...it turns out that I held identical Glock 30's yesterday, but today I actually held a 30SF when I stopped by the same LGS on a whim. They had mixed up the boxes. Anyways, now I can't decide between the slim G36 and the G30SF, and the LGS employee had a good point to make with the 30SF...it will accept G21 mags!

Oh dear...I hate decisions like this

I'd like to hear any info that might sway me one way or the other.
    Last edited by Sleipnir; January 20th, 2011 at 10:01 PM.

I'd also like to add that I severely underestimated my jeans pockets; they can completely conceal a Glock 21SF.

In my opinion any Glock is a keeper. I don't have the 36, but my 26 and 19 are the best for me and wife.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

If you like the G36 at least take a look at the G27 and G26. I think the increased capacity and the ability to use higher capacity mags are worth a look. I have a G36 and want a G27.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links