My EDC thoughts are changing!

This is a discussion on My EDC thoughts are changing! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If your $3000 firearm gets taken by police, your loss of the firearm is going to be the least of your worries... its dealing with ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My EDC thoughts are changing!

If your $3000 firearm gets taken by police, your loss of the firearm is going to be the least of your worries... its dealing with the consequences of why they had to take gun that will infest your thoughts, freedom, and wallet. bunker

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    And here I thought I was the only paranoid gun guy with too much time on his hands to worry about such things. No really; with all things considered, I would likely have other concerns on my mind if I became involved in a shooting. Still, I do favor a more modestly appointed carry-gun so as not to project an image that could work against me.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    C haw Glock, this doesn't make sense "...I carry an M&P everyday because they fill the role better for me. ...if I had to make one shot in which lives depended on it, there is no doubt that I can shoot my 1911's better then my polymers. " I'd start carrying my 1911 if this is true.

As for the basic subject; I can't afford a $2,000 dollar gun unless yoiu add up some of my guns and I had saved up instead of buying as many as I have but if I had saved up, I'd say carry what you're best with and if you also really like that gun that's gravy on top. Most of us will never use it or have it taken away so the odds are you're better off carrying what you shoot well "AND" like without worrying one moment about the police holding the gun after the shoot. As others have said, let's get real here folks, if that happens you won't be thinking too much about that gun anyway!

Gideon

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While it would hurt to lose my DW CBOB, I have complete confidence in it. I would rather carry a gun I shoot well. The odds if having to use your gun are minuscule, I'll take the risk.
    I agree. I'm not worrying about a problem that's unlikely to happen. Having said that, I can afford to give up my G30 after a shooting and not cry like a baby at its loss. A $2000+ 1911 would have me on my knees, pleading with the cops not to take it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good posts guys, thanks!
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

As of now my budget doe snot allow me to be a "collector". All of my guns are "working guns". They are tools in my proverbial tool box. My G23 has shot thousands of rounds and has NEVER had a hiccup, the black finish is showing wear, but it is a mark of distinction. I dont have time to baby my guns, and worry about possible sweat on them or what not or possibly dropping ot dinging them. I have a G23, P228, and a M&P 340. They all have their own distinctive roles in my defensive handgun inventory. They work everytime all the time. They are not hand fitted, or one of only a few made. Like a Craftsman screwdriver, a Toyota truck or a Honda Civic, they just work. I woudl hate to lose my trusted sidearm, but I have two more that are ready to run at anytime. Maybe later on down the road my rich uncle will find me and I can start "collecting".
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    The most expensive pistol I've got is a $1,100 Kimber Compact CDP; the reason I've got it is to protect my priceless life.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Having the police keep my firearm for a while, a long while, is not of concern to me.
    First, I doubt it will happen, and secondly, the fact that I know when they 'borrow' it means that I'm still alive...if they take it off my 'body' it won't be of concern to me either.
    I can always get another gun!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Odds are is that if you lose your gun after a shooting then you probably can't buy another gun in your life. I woudn't worry about it.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

That is why I carry $300.00 to $500.00 handguns, after I make sure that they are reliable, I carry them and use them all of the time. I don't worry about scratches, nicks, dings, or wear. If any of them are taken into police custody for awhile, I can easily replace it. I would not want a good Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk or Wilson to get scratched or abused, (although any of them would take it and then some), or definately not taken into police custody. That is just me. OMO YMMV.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I've shot the first two stages of the IDPA classification match with several guns in a variety of different calibers. My best scores on those two stages are with my Glock 26 (which I bo9ught because I scored so well with it). I score better on the third stage, longer range, with my Glock 19, but not by much. My second best scores on the first two stages are with my G19. (I've tried this with Glocks, XD's, and 1911's in 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP and also revolvers). So there is a G19 in the bedside safe with a rail light on it and the G26 is in my IWB. If I shot a .45 better than I do a 9mm, I'd carry a .45. I'm a firm believer that shot placement at combat speeds is the over riding criteria for a carry shoice.

So I carry what I shoot best at the most likely self defense distances and hope I never, ever, need it.

Serendipitously, it's also a low maintainance reasonably priced gun that's reliable as gravity. I love it when that happens.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Any gun that I carry is replaceable. If I loose a carry Kimber, or Colt or something nice to the police cuz I was forced to defend myself I will just buy another. I would never carry some guns that I own because of there history or what they are.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    The only problem with carrying a Glock right now is that they are being pointed at as the "devil's gun" by the media due to the Arizona shooting and the availability of high cap mags. Therefore, perhaps an M&P, Ruger or Kahr would fit the bill nicely.
    My decision on which gun to carry will never be based on the ignorant opinion of the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyebedam View Post
    I hate to lose my EMP but I trust my life with it. If I was to lose it I would find a way to get another.
    Better to loose the gun than your life.

I lost mine as a result of an encounter with BG......lets just say...after the trial....evidence (gun) was returned.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My SIGs are certainly not the cheapest things I could carry, but I carry them because I perform better with them than cheaper autopistols. I found I shot my first P229, a P229R DAK, notably better than my Glocks, so I got rid of the Glocks, and eventually bought spare SIGs. If one P229 is at the firearms lab, I have extras.

One of my guns, a GP100, has been at a firearms lab, for a couple of weeks, in 1993, after a on-duty shooting at work. I did not have a spare GP100, but my Stainless Python fit the same holsters. I cannot say how long a private citizen's handgun would have been held at that time, or if anything has changed since then. I would bet that the testing of my weapon was expedited, plus, my case was closed quickly, as far as the PD was concerned. Some cases are not so clear-cut, and will take longer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links