My EDC thoughts are changing! - Page 3

My EDC thoughts are changing!

This is a discussion on My EDC thoughts are changing! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Life is too short..... If you want to carry a $2,500 gun, then you should carry a $2,500 gun....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Life is too short..... If you want to carry a $2,500 gun, then you should carry a $2,500 gun.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I carry Colt 1911's because they are what I tend to shoot best and they have been totally reliable. If I should have to use one and the cops take it for evidence I will just proceed to the safe and get another one.

Dunno, that's the same as buying a Ferrari, but never driving it on the street beacuse it may get in an accident.

I will be carrying my Baer when I get it, and I have no qualms carrying my P7M8.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisFred View Post
    Life is too short..... If you want to carry a $2,500 gun, then you should carry a $2,500 gun.
    Well said.

My opinion on this is simple

If your custom gun is more reliable than any other gun you own, then carry it. If your $500 gun is just as reliable, then carry whichever makes you feel good. Remember, you are way more likely to drop your carry gun then you are to have it confiscated after a shooting. If dings and scuffs bother you, carry a Glock. If I am carrying my Kimber Eclipse Pro, my most expensive gun right now, the night I have to shoot a bad guy, then so be it. As long as it getsw the job done. Would I hate to lose it indefinitely, sure I would, but better the pistol than my life.

One more thought

There are several "less expensive" 1911s on the market right now with good reputations. Rock Island and American Classic to name just a couple. I own two Rock Islands, 5 Kimbers and two Taurus 1911s. I will not keep, nor carry, a gun that is not reliable. If the Taurus guns were lighter and shorter they would be my FIRST CHOICE for carry, since they have been 100% reliable right out of the box. I have several thousand through each. My Rock Island Comp-Tac is very reliable with hollow points and incredibly accurate to boot. I may change out some parts later as money allows but, I would have no quams carrying this gun as is. I have $325 into it plus about $10 in Duracoat. I can't figure out how to post a pic or I would. Anyway, while I also own several Glocks, I find I shoot the 1911 better, so I stick with that platform for everything. I compete in IDPA and I only use a 1911 because that is what I carry. So, if you don't allready have a less expensive 1911, get one, make it reliable and carry that if the 1911 is what youy are most comfortable with.

Thoughts on the question...

When talking about police confiscation and very expensive guns, the examples given are invariably custom 1911s in the $3000 price range. These are functionally equivalent to $1000 1911s from Colt, Kimber, S&W, etc. I can't believe that the $3000 guns are really any better for defensive purposes because of superior reliability, accuracy, speed of use or deadly effect. The $1000 1911s will do the same defensive job, and are only priced lower because of less hand work in finishing and the use of less expensive parts and manufacturing techniques. So there is really no compelling reason to carry the $3000 1911 for defense, compared to the $1000 1911, if you are concerned about police confiscation.

Now if you are carrying the $1000 1911 and concerned about the police confiscation of that gun compared to a $500 Glock, I would suggest that your other costs in a justified defensive shooting, such as lawyer fees and lost time, will dwarf the $500 difference between a Glock and a 1911. If you are a better shot with the 1911 than the Glock, I would not worry about the cost differential and go with your more effective gun, which might save your life.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member
    I agree, I think that when you spend that much on a pistol, it's more than just a tool, it's part of your personality and soul. That would be something that I would miss.

I like to carry what I feel comfortable with. Do my H&Ks cost almost double a Glock? Yes, but for me they are more comfortable to shoot and hold, they go bang every time, and I am adequately accurate with them. I have more expensive 1911s which I shoot slightly better but again, for me, I do not want a safety on a carry gun. If there was a huge difference in my accuracy with a 1911 I would spend more time to get confident with a safety.

The safety issue is one that concerns me from competition. I have and seen others in stressful situations in IDPA and USPSA forget to flick off the safety. I believe that like myself this is more evident in people who have come later in life to guns. For those flicking off a safety since they were 12 it is probably a non issue.

I have two colt commanders made in 1978 ,Both have been worked on by a smith in the area named Marianne Carniak to the tune of 1800.00 so if one is taken I have one just the same. I have other 1911that are cheaper but I shoot a lot better whit the colt's look at my avatar

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links