My EDC thoughts are changing!

This is a discussion on My EDC thoughts are changing! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are many out there like me that appreciate the finer firearms. I have a couple of custom guns and a couple of Wilson's and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My EDC thoughts are changing!

My EDC thoughts are changing!

There are many out there like me that appreciate the finer firearms. I have a couple of custom guns and a couple of Wilson's and Ed Brown's. What has started me thinking recently has been a few posts here regarding self defense shootings where your pistol will be held indefinitely, or forever, by the investigating authorities. I truly would hate to loose a $2-3 K gun to the police in a justified SD shooting. It make me think that maybe we should carry the $300-500 price guns that would not hurt as much when lost. It is obvious that a 45 ACP from a Glock or M&P will do the same thing as one from a Wilson or Ed Brown. Maybe the Wilsons and Ed Browns will start leading more of a range life than one as an EDC. Just my thoughts.....thanks.
    12 Gauge
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Yes, I think you make a good point, I would rather lose a $300-$500 gun, maybe a Glock 36 or 30 for example.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I agree with you. I think that Glock, S&W, CZ, Ruger, Bersa, Taurus, Kahr, Kel-Tec, H&K or Walther are better for concealed carry considering their price and the aforementioned situation than carrying an expensive Kimber, Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Colt or a high priced revolver. The only problem with carrying a Glock right now is that they are being pointed at as the "devil's gun" by the media due to the Arizona shooting and the availability of high cap mags. Therefore, perhaps an M&P, Ruger or Kahr would fit the bill nicely.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    While it would hurt to lose my DW CBOB, I have complete confidence in it. I would rather carry a gun I shoot well. The odds if having to use your gun are minuscule, I'll take the risk.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

mkh
    I can't afford a $3,000 pistol so that isn't an option for me.

But you do bring up one point that a lot of people don't think about - what happens if your EDC gets confiscated by the law? I make it a point now to have other guns that I ma comfortable with sitting in my safe just in case my primary gets confiscated or stolen. For example my EDC is a G30sf but if it gets confiscated I can fall back on my G21sf or even the XD-40SC. Always have options.

Yup, that's been my approach to my carry guns for a long time now. I look at the four or five hundred dollar firearms as my carry guns for that exact reason. and I totally agree with ya, a three hundred dollar gun that functions as it should will kill just as well as the two thousand dollar one.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have two Gen 2 G19's that are set up the same for this very reason.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    There is an order of operations to work through:

1. Survive the encounter that requires you to draw and/or fire your weapon.
    2. Deal with everything that follows after that.

If you don't manage 1, then 2 is immaterial.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    There is an order of operations to work through:

1. Survive the encounter that requires you to draw and/or fire your weapon.
    2. Deal with everything that follows after that.

If you don't manage 1, then 2 is immaterial.
    +1. Life's too short not to carry and use the best things you possibly can. Virtually any gun can be replaced. Your life can't.

I carry what is most comfortable and what I am most accurate with. In my case the Kahr P9 works best. It is very slim and lightweight and I am accurate enough to do what I need to do.
    Last edited by matdicdad; January 20th, 2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Was't looking at the keyboard

I carry 3-500 dollar guns for multiple reason.

They go bang every time I pull the trigger.
    I don't mind sweating on them or them getting dirty.
    I don't mind them getting a bit of wear and tear from daily carry.
    I won't mind too much if I loose them for a while after an incident.
    I have multiple ones that I can switch out when and as needed or I feel the need.

Everyone has their own reasons for carrying what they do. Mine are pretty simple.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I enjoy shooting my Browns and feel comfortable with them so that is what I typically carry.
    b.

VIP Member
    This has been my rule of thought for quite a while. My 1911's and nice revolvers are for the pure enjoyment of shooting and indeed can be carried or used if need be, but frankly I carry an M&P everyday because they fill the role better for me. I also see the other side of the coin because if I had to make one shot in which lives depended on it, there is no doubt that I can shoot my 1911's better then my polymers.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I hate to lose my EMP but I trust my life with it. If I was to lose it I would find a way to get another.

Cool

For me the Glock series of pistols are without a doubt the finest combat ready out of the box semi auto pistols for personal defense. I have never had to pay more than $400 for any of mine. I do not have any high end handguns so I am not to worried about having one taken as evidence. Job #1 in a deadly force encounter is to prevail. After that I will deal with the aftermath but I will have prevailed in order to do so and I will never be left unarmed.
    P26100833.jpg

G-23 G-36 G-19
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links