NEW fan of the CLOCK question for more experienced clock owners

This is a discussion on NEW fan of the CLOCK question for more experienced clock owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Somewhat recently purchased my first Glock. G-22 40 Cal it became my fav carry gun right away ran lots of rounds through it etc.. and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW fan of the CLOCK question for more experienced clock owners

NEW fan of the CLOCK question for more experienced clock owners

Somewhat recently purchased my first Glock. G-22 40 Cal it became my fav carry gun right away ran lots of rounds through it etc.. and I love it.

Questions for other more experienced Glock owners;

1. I have 4 factory mags for 15+1 ability I find all 4 rattle when loaded to capacity yet if I carry 14+ 1 they are quiet is this common?
    2. How long does it take to be accustom the seemingly long trigger pull? Is there a common way to adjust it without giving up the safety it provides?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Lots of hi-cap mags rattle when full or nearly so, whereas single-stacks rarely do. In my experience, it's very much a function of the individual magazine. Taurus replaced two "rattlers" for me; you might call Glock and see if they'll do the same for you.

Getting used to the Glock trigger all depends on you, the shooter. If you've only shot bench-rest rifles with 1/2-pound triggers and zero creep, it might take a while, but if you're a double-action revolver guy you'll probably feel right at home. One suggestion is to shoot slowly and FEEL every shot. Just use one magazine and only load five rounds, then work that trigger slowly and deliberately, so you can discern minute differences in each trigger pull. Familiarization will ultimately come from getting lots of rounds down range, but blowing through lots of rounds quickly is really just ballistic masturbation. Limit your range sessions to 100 rounds or fewer, and make each one count.

Dry firing at home (SAFELY, please - no magazines and no live ammo in the room where you dry-fire, and remember Rule Two and Rule Four in particular) will also help. Balance a penny on the front of your slide when you work the trigger - it shouldn't move at all before the sear releases.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Lots of hi-cap mags rattle when full or nearly so, whereas single-stacks rarely do. In my experience, it's very much a function of the individual magazine. Taurus replaced two "rattlers" for me; you might call Glock and see if they'll do the same for you.

Getting used to the Glock trigger all depends on you, the shooter. If you've only shot bench-rest rifles with 1/2-pound triggers and zero creep, it might take a while, but if you're a double-action revolver guy you'll probably feel right at home. One suggestion is to shoot slowly and FEEL every shot. Just use one magazine and only load five rounds, then work that trigger slowly and deliberately, so you can discern minute differences in each trigger pull. Familiarization will ultimately come from getting lots of rounds down range, but blowing through lots of rounds quickly is really just ballistic masturbation. Limit your range sessions to 100 rounds or fewer, and make each one count.

Dry firing at home (SAFELY, please - no magazines and no live ammo in the room where you dry-fire, and remember Rule Two and Rule Four in particular) will also help. Balance a penny on the front of your slide when you work the trigger - it shouldn't move at all before the sear releases.
    Thank you for the info; I have noticed the trigger creep effects the first one or two rounds more, then I find I keep tension on the trigger at the reset point, this is foign to me still as I have never owned a safe action gun before and likewise this is the first pistol I have ever had with a double stack Mag so that makes since as well. Thanks a million for the reply I feel better knowing nither issue is unique to me!

VIP Member
    All mags are not compatible with my models of Clocks.....
    Last edited by C hawk Glock; January 21st, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Balance a penny on the front of your slide when you work the trigger - it shouldn't move at all before the sear releases.
    I might have to try that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    I might have to try that myself.
    No kidding it is a great drill idea and way to gain some muscle memory.... would not work on a lot of guns but glock does have that flat top...

VIP Member
    congrats on the glock purchase

dry fire practice at home is a must if you want to get adjusted to the glock trigger and/or get faster accurate follow up shots

TRIPLE check for NO mag, NO round in the chamber, have a buddy/family member check to ensure its unloaded

now you mention keeping tension on the trigger at the reset point...this is called the sear set
    with the unloaded weapon pull the trigger slowly and feel where it breaks to release the firing pin and keep the trigger held back, slowly let it out to the point you hear and feel it click (sear set/reset point)...this is as far as you should let the trigger go out when shooting multiple shots, if you practice this sear set exercise you will gain muscle memory on the feel of when the firing pin releases and when the trigger gets to the sear set point
    do this hundreds/thousands of times while watching tv, etc and you will notice more accurate and faster shooting/follow-up shots, you will see a reduction in the amount the sights move around as you get on the trigger
    pretty soon it will be second nature to only go out to sear set and rattle off multiple shots quickly

as for the rattle, only a couple of my 17 round G17 mags do it, I have 21 of them and I think only 2 do it; I have about the same number of G21 mags and about 5 or 6 of them do it when loaded to capacity
    with all the ones that rattle (45 and 9) they do not rattle if I load them one round down
    weird...yes
    annoying...sometimes
    problem...nope

good luck
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

64 zebra; thank for the additional tips, good ones at that while getting a feel for the glock there is no need to develop a bad habit the trigger will be second nature I am sure after a while and loading the mags one down while at carry does not give me any grief as all my past carry guns were capacity of 6, 15 with two extra clips seem more than good to me... and for sure I am a Glock fan, I have never had a new Auto go jam free feed free on day one ever until the G22 I really love it.

Also love this site still a new member and have gotten lots of info not just from this thread but from reading others too. The new computer age is great for getting information from people all over who are willing to share.

The trigger is not bad on the Glocks. After you fire the shot release the trigger until you hear and feel the reset. You should hear a click. After that it has a short trigger pull, and the pull is short from where you can feel pressure on the trigger. Granted the trigger is not as short as a 1911 but is shorter than a D/A revolver or a DA/SA auto. If you are getting used to the Glock trigger you'll hate the XD trigger. It has an even longer trigger pull and a very long reset and a lot of over travel.

As far as the mags rattling, some do and some don't. It's the nature of the beast with double stack standard capacity mags. They may not rattle when you have one in the pistol because you have the slide pushing down on the top of the mag.

I prefer digital Clocks over the traditional ones... i miss my wind up Clock also. just my $0.02 bunker

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I prefer digital Clocks over the traditional ones... i miss my wind up Clock also. just my $0.02 bunker
    The first question asked is what time did you shoot him..... you need to know these things

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've found that if I stop shaking my G30, the rattle stops too. No one else will notice it until you ask, "Hey, do you hear this rattle?"
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    Somewhat recently purchased my first Glock. G-22 40 Cal it became my fav carry gun right away ran lots of rounds through it etc.. and I love it.

Questions for other more experienced Glock owners;

1. I have 4 factory mags for 15+1 ability I find all 4 rattle when loaded to capacity yet if I carry 14+ 1 they are quiet is this common?
    2. How long does it take to be accustom the seemingly long trigger pull? Is there a common way to adjust it without giving up the safety it provides?

Thanks
    About 90% of my Glock mags rattle a bit. No big deal. Don't give it a second (or a first thought). Do NOT use garbage Sherer mags! The ONLY failure I ever had in close to half a million rounds through Glocks was a feed issue with a singlular Sherer magazine.

Long trigger pull? That one is new on me. The travel is about the same as a 1911...maybe a tech longer.

Get a 3.5 Ghost Rocket connector and have someone install it...your trigger pull will go to about 3,25lbs and your reset will be about 1/32". Of course, don't do this UNTIL you have tons of trigger time on your gun. If it is strictly going to be a SD weapon...learn to love the 5.5 in it. It WILL serve you well.

Glock is THE fighting handgun of the 21st Century.

Thanks for all the info input from everyone, reinforces my falling in love with the Glock overall, I am not sure why I waited so long to get one...I bet my next hand gun will be another Glock. I am sold out on this thing for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    Thanks for all the info input from everyone, reinforces my falling in love with the Glock overall, I am not sure why I waited so long to get one...I bet my next hand gun will be another Glock. I am sold out on this thing for sure..
    You have joined the cool guys club...LOL.

Hey, I still LOVE my 1911's, Hi Powers and Smith wheelguns...but Glock is my most trusted friend in a holster. Glad you finally saw the light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links