Defensive Carry banner

Is Glock going to continue making Gen 3 ??

8K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  LeftofMars 
#1 ·
i've heard Glock is going to stop producing ALL Gen 3 models? contrary,i've also heard Glock will continue making select models of Gen 3?..anyone know?

#5 ·
I would think at least until the end of the year. But eventually all models will transition to Gen 4.

#6 ·
Yes ... until they decide no.

I imagine all versions will eventually go Gen 4 only. Look at the G30 & G30SF. A Gen 4 G30 with the changeable backstraps would have the fit of both and reduce production of two models to one. Having two versions of anything is cost-prohibitive in anything in the long run, and that's the bottom line of any business--money.

#7 ·
My LE dealer who is the statewide L distributor here, says yes for the time being, they will contimue to produce them. No date forthcoming to stop production, but he said the Gen 4 production is so ramped up that a Gen 3 order may take longer.

#8 ·
I went shopping for another Gen 3, G23.

I compared the 3rd and 4th generations, side by side. Contrary to what I've heard, the 4th Gen isn't a bit smaller, in the handle, than the 3rd Gen. At least not that I could perceive.

I stuck with the Gen 3. I hope that it sticks around for a while

#9 ·
I fondled a Gen 4 G19 at a store last week. I also could not really feel a difference. I also did not notice a difference in reaching the mag release. Only difference I could feel was the grip texture. I guess I could be happy with either one.

#10 ·
The Gen 4s without attaching backstraps are about what a SF version feels like. One backstrap increases the grip to nominal Glock feel; the other increases it even more (for the monster-size hands, I suppose).

While I can't tell much difference between the G30 and G30SF, I can definitely feel a difference in the G22 Gen 4 and prefer the grip without the additional backstraps. The difference is much a personal thing, and that's the point. It gives one the option of changing it if it doesn't "feel" right.

#11 ·
I am not sure who I know that could stand the texture on a Gen 4 on their bare skin while IWB. I know I couldnt. Gen 3 is the way to go for me.

#12 ·
I do not see Glock stopping production of the Gen 3 any time in the future...OMO

#13 ·
The question is...will the price of G3's go up or down in response?
I don't get the G4 thing...it seems they changed things for no reason which then result in less reliability.
Cosmetically, it's just plain uglier.
I'll pass...

#16 ·
Be it Gen-3 or 4, the only Glock that feels right in my rat like’ hands is the single-stack G36. I was really hoping they would offer that in a .40 so as to squeeze in another round. Oh well, maybe some day.

#18 ·
I called Buds gunshop today, as I am thinking of purchasing another g19 or 23 LE model. I can get either for $398.00. All they have are Gen 4s. I noticed the texture on the gen4 has been tamed down a bit from the earlier ones they produced that had the polymid thingys but did not have the additional grip sizes. I think with the less aggresive grips, I might be able to warm up to it.

#19 ·
I like the current grip on the Gen 4. I'm hoping to get one sometime this year, most likely a G17 or G22.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.