Carry Guns in .38SUP?

Carry Guns in .38SUP?

This is a discussion on Carry Guns in .38SUP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who is making some today? Any good 1911s in this caliber? Is anyone here carrying a .38SUP?...

Thread: Carry Guns in .38SUP?

Carry Guns in .38SUP?

Who is making some today? Any good 1911s in this caliber? Is anyone here carrying a .38SUP?

i carry a 38 super sometimes mostly in the winter, i think most major gun makers have them here are a few i know.

Colt
    Kimber
    Tarus
    S&W
    wilson combat

I have Colt goverment model SS 80 series made

Great question, I don't know much about the caliber but would love to hear some experiences and info! It seems to do a lot of what 357sig does, but in a 1911-friendly cartridge size. I know it sees a lot of competition use, anyone have any experience with it there?

I've got a Rock Island Armory .38 Super that my kids gave me for Christmas 2009. Out of the box it had about a 4lb 12oz trigger that broke very cleanly. It shot about 4" groups at 25 yards dead stock. In the 13 months since then, it's acquired a Nowlin trigger, sear, disconnector and hammer, MGW sights, and Ed Brown grips and beavertail grip safety. The slide has been tightened and lapped, and an oversize bushing fit to the slide and barrel. The trigger is now 3lb 6oz, and it shoots into 2 1/2 inches at 25 yards. Since the kids only paid $360 for it and I've put a little over that into parts, I'm really pleased with the pistol. It's had 5000 or so round through it, and is as reliable as a hammer. I can't complain at all.

I was carrying one of my 'Supers today. What's not to like? Power equalling the the .357 Magnum with 10 rounds on board.

Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Taurus are all making a 'Super...not to mention ALL the custom houes make them.

Welcome aboard.

VIP Member
    For the Centennial of the 1911 I am planning to add a Colt in 38Super to the stable.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

What self defense ammo is everyone using?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    For the Centennial of the 1911 I am planning to add a Colt in 38Super to the stable.
    That is very fitting, considering that the 1911 platform and the .38 Super have quite a history together
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I like Glaser Pow'R Ball. 100gr bullet at 1525 FPS for 516 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. That's 100 FPS faster than the same bullet in their .357 load.

I have a Colt 1991A1 .38 Super I carry on occasion. Great gun - accurate and reliable. I like the Georgia Arms ammo, 125gr Speer JHP @ 1350fps.

Personally, I'm not a Taurus fan but I've heard some pretty good things about their 1911. Right now CDNN has them in .38 Super for $399 blue and $449 stainless. That's a pretty good deal since they come with all the goodies already on them.

Here's my Colt-

I've got a Taurus 1911 in .45 ACP, it's been real good to me. If I were in the market for a .38 Super, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Taurus at those prices.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Kimber makes a great carry .38 Super. The Pro-Carry HD-II with 4" Bbl. in stainless. It is all decked out including a match grade barrel. I had one for several years and it's a great shooter.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Sponsored Links