Mistakes when purchasing a defensive handgun

This is a discussion on Mistakes when purchasing a defensive handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think a PPS in 9mm is a great first carry gun. Just rent one first and see what you think. The slimness of the ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mistakes when purchasing a defensive handgun

I think a PPS in 9mm is a great first carry gun. Just rent one first and see what you think. The slimness of the gun makes a huge difference IMO. Just be sure to do the checklist.
    -Is 7 or 8 rounds enough for you? 7 rounds with one spare mag is enough for me, but everyone is different,
    -Is your wife/girlfriend going to have to be able to shoot it? Can she pull the slide back?
    -The PPS has the lever mag release. Its a simple thing to get used to, but some hate it.
    -Make sure the "no safety" will not prevent you from carrying with one in the chamber. I wanted a safety when I first started carrying, but now understand that the holster is the safety and I would not want a safety on a striker fired gun.

I bought the XD9SC for my first carry gun. Its a bit wide for me. I like to carry at 3 oclock and OWB. The PPS is slim enough that I can carry at 3 oclock without searching for a certain type of shirt. I dont like carrying at 4 or 5 oclock, because it seems like im always leaning against or sitting on the gun. My car seats really wrap around my back, so its uncomfortable. But, I have pain in my low back and hip from nerve damage, so it probably doesnt bother most people. Buy a large gun, and it may not get carried as much, and buying a tiny 45 or even 40 may cause you to lose accuracy. I also think that the 9mm is the perfect first carry gun. Im only pushing the PPS because you were thinking about it already. ok...thats enough rambling...good luck
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

2. Remove Ads

Don't just go into a gun shop, fondle the guns and buy the one that "feels good in the hand"...shoot them first, and go with one that shoots good for you.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

The first mistake I made was buying something too big. Next mistake was buying something smaller but still didn't conceal any easier. It all came down to carry specific clothing. I'm willing to argue there is a way to conceal any gun for any occasion with the right clothes/holsters. I wish I would have spent less on the guns to have been able to shoot more and buy more carry clothing.

what several others have already said, don't buy a gun that's just too bulky,heavy and uncomfortable for concealed carry..eventually that gun will just sit at home and you will end up buying something that's smaller and lighter..

Don't buy on impulse. I bought a cheap Saturday night special that weighed about 5lbs. I just wanted a handgun and didn't have much money to spend. It went kaboom in my hand with less than 100 rnds through it.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I really appreciate all the thoughtful responses. The "theme" I'm getting here is to get on the range and try a few handguns before buying. I plan to do that although regrettably there are not many ranges near were I live. I have one excellent range just a few miles away but they don't rent the handgun(s) I'm considering. I've taken a "basic" concealed carry course and I want to take the more advanced course; however, they're recommending to do the advanced course you bring your own firearm. It makes sense that you want to train with the actual gun you'll be using. So, I'd like to make a purchase and get a couple hundred rounds in before taking the advanced course.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    If possible, shoot the type of handgun before you buy it, to see if you like it, not always possible, but if it is, do it.

If a semi-auto is what you want, get something with a 3.5-4.5 inch barrel, in 9mm, .40, or .45 from a reputable manufacturer. These pistols tend to be a good combo of shootability and concealability. A lot of people go too big, or too small when buying guns for carry, stick with a mid sized weapon, that will be fun and accurate to shoot, in a caliber that will work, and you can conceal.

Don't skimp, not everyone needs a $2,500 dollar custom 1911 for carry, but generally somewhere between $300-600 will get you what you need as far as a pistol. Then get a good purpose made gun belt, and a holster for your firearm. A few extra mags (3 minimum in my opinion) should also be on your list.

And last of all, do your research. You have found what is in my mind one of the best resources on line to learn about concealed carry, and firearms in general, here at Defensivecarry. Ask questions about anything you want to know, someone here probably knows about it.
    This^^^.. and don't let people tell you one brand or model is "better" than others, because what it comes down to EVERY TIME, is how you like/handle the gun, and what it's purposes are.

Not all guns fill all requirements that you have, while others might fill that requirement.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    and not all guns fit every individual's hand. I still say that absolutely no amount of "training" will make a person's trigger finger grow longer.

i would second whats already been said dont rush into buying something, take your time and try it out (if possible), consider what your going to be using it for home only, carry only, home and carry combo? from there it should lead you in a direction of what you need, and then consider what you may want to do to it down the line, if you want to put a light on it later make sure you buy something that has a rail, dont overlook the simple things. as far as price goes dont be fooled and buy a cheep gun that is going to only give you problems and at the same time dont be talked into that high dollar custom gun that you really dont need either, if you have to save for a few more weeks do it you'll be happy in the end. try to factor in everthing that your going to need when your saving up ammo, holster, cleaning kit, ext. ext. and then still factor maybe 50-75 bucks more for the stuff you forgot about. <--- this seems to be a big one for me i always think i have enough and end up forgetting something and have to come up with more money
    and remember it may be your first but probally wont be your last

Welcome to the forum
    I normally donít voice my views but this is a great topic. First everyone has their own opinions and have a good advice from their experience. We need to realize thereís not a perfect pistol for each situation is different. Only you know how much time you will practice and how much money you can spend. Now since I said there is no perfect gun. Thereís not really a bad gun either. You just need to understand the limitations of the gun and the caliber. If you truly plan to on carry all the time. Think of the times itís not convenient to carry such working on a vehicle, jogging in your neighborhood now that full size 1911 might not be your first choice. Maybe that .380 everyone on the forums said is insufficient might be better than the full size auto sitting in the safe. Revolvers have a special place in about any situation they almost always go bang without invest 100ís of rounds to break in. I am very fortune enough have numerous hand guns from high 1911ís to inexpensive .380ís. For what is worth my opinion is the closest to the do everything gun would be the Kahr PM9 and right behind that would be Rugerís LCR.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    I really appreciate all the thoughtful responses. The "theme" I'm getting here is to get on the range and try a few handguns before buying. I plan to do that although regrettably there are not many ranges near were I live. I have one excellent range just a few miles away but they don't rent the handgun(s) I'm considering. I've taken a "basic" concealed carry course and I want to take the more advanced course; however, they're recommending to do the advanced course you bring your own firearm. It makes sense that you want to train with the actual gun you'll be using. So, I'd like to make a purchase and get a couple hundred rounds in before taking the advanced course.
    If you're looking for a recommendation on pistol that has a high probability of fitting all your needs look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 9c. It comes with interchangeable s,m &l back straps to adjust to any size hand while being neither too large to carry nor too small to shoot comfortably.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    If you're looking for a recommendation on pistol that has a high probability of fitting all your needs look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 9c. It comes with interchangeable s,m &l back straps to adjust to any size hand while being neither too large to carry nor too small to shoot comfortably.
    Definitely on my list along with the Walther PPS and the Ruger SR9c. I'm 99% convinced that I stay with 9mm or .40, so .380 is out. Going to try to get some range time in a couple of guns next week.

Welcome to the forum. Some great advise as usual here. I have made so many mistakes in buying handguns that I now employ the "accumulate principle". What you may ask it that? Glad you asked.

I have just decided to buy all the handguns that I can find and then the ones I don't like I get shed of

Oh, btw....the PPS looks like a keeper....I don't have one...yet.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I just noticed the state you live in Good ol Mass. I forgot what movie it is where everyone in the movie says "everything is against the law in Massachusetts" at least once. Too bad that you dont have more ranges, especially that rent guns.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    I just noticed the state you live in Good ol Mass. I forgot what movie it is where everyone in the movie says "everything is against the law in Massachusetts" at least once. Too bad that you dont have more ranges, especially that rent guns.
    Thanks for the “condolences” for living in Massachusetts. MA does have some draconian gun laws and some of the handguns I’d otherwise consider are illegal here. It makes taking all the great advice I’m getting on this website rather difficult to exercise. Almost every Ruger is illegal, though I think the SR9 and 9c are legal here.

The AG in MA is very anti-gun and some requirements are so onerous that manufacturers have virtually abandoned the idea of making MA-compliant handguns for sell here. Given the paltry inventory at local gun shops, I contacted a very large gun dealer in New Hampshire to check on the availability of a few models I was considering and he told me not to bother. He said that 80% of their inventory is illegal in MA.

While both CC and OC are technically legal in MA, no one in MA would ever OC since most local LEOs will use that as a reason to revoke your LTC as “irresponsible” carry. The 2nd Amendment isn’t dead in MA, but the vultures are hovering.

Didn’t intend to divert this thread into “politics,” but it does hit a nerve.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links