Mistakes when purchasing a defensive handgun

This is a discussion on Mistakes when purchasing a defensive handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I admit I skipped a page or two of the replies, but I don't think anyone mentioned the next thing after a holster. Dress ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Mistakes when purchasing a defensive handgun

OK, I admit I skipped a page or two of the replies, but I don't think anyone mentioned the next thing after a holster.
    Dress to conceal. You may have to accept the fact that you may have to make a few changes to your wadrobe if your going to carry concealed.
    You may find that you now untuck you polo shirt, when you used to wear it tucked in. You may have to buy shirts, and maybe even pants, a size bigger if you going IWB.
    You may find that pattern shirts and dark colors are better than light thin see thru fabrics.
    Personally I have started wearing tee shirts under my polo's and outer tee's for comfort. I have also started wearing shirts untucked, except when I have to dress a little nicer. Thats where a tuckable holster is nice.
    YOU DO HAVE TO BUY A GOOD BELT. This is important. Most people that complain about their holster not holding the gun tight to their side are using a $12 Walmart belt.
    Good luck and welcome to te forum.

2. Remove Ads

Not sure if this was a mistake, but my first defensive handgun purchase was a Kahr CW40. I don't regret getting it, the gun shoots well, I have no problem carrying it and I like that it is 40 caliber. The thing I didn't think about was that my boss is not big on guns. We don't have an official policy on carrying at work, but if he knew I was carrying he would probably make one. There is no way I can carry the CW40 at work without him finding out. I ended up getting a Ruger LCP to carry at work so I can conceal it well enough. I still feel better carrying the CW40, so it goes with me when I am not at work. Guess the gun gods were telling me I needed two guns.

Quite possibly the biggest mistake that some of us may make is thinking that our first purchase of a CCW will be our last.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links