Getting a Sig P229. 9mm or .357sig?

This is a discussion on Getting a Sig P229. 9mm or .357sig? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Get which ever one you shoot the best. If you can, shoot both of them in the first or first and second stage of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Getting a Sig P229. 9mm or .357sig?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Get which ever one you shoot the best. If you can, shoot both of them in the first or first and second stage of the IDPA classification match. You can get the setup off the WEB, it's a piece of cake.

Keep track of your time and score for each shot string. It's a good objective test. You will soon learn which one you shoot the best, and that's the one you want if you ever need to stop an assailant.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

2. Remove Ads

Once again thanks for all of the replies, keep them coming.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

VIP Member
    If you go with the 9mm, try to find a P228. IMO, it has slightly better "feel" in the hand and is a tiny bit lighter.

As others have said, the .357 Sig is a very capable round. No 9mm can equal it when it is loaded hot. It is LOUD and a bit snappy, and the muzzle blast is impressive, but you do get increased energy for your troubles.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Muzzle flip it snaps more than a .45acp.
    I have a P229 in .40 S&W and don't have any issues with muzzle flip at all.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    .357sig, I personally will not shoot or carry anything that does not start at .38/.357 for the caliber, all my carry guns are /40, two .45's and a .357 magnum, bigger is better especially when it moves at the velocity close to a 9mm
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I know shooting it will be the best way to know about the round, and that is probably what I will end up doing. How loud is the .357sig compared to the .45acp? How is the recoil compared to the .45acp?
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I know shooting it will be the best way to know about the round, and that is probably what I will end up doing. How loud is the .357sig compared to the .45acp? How is the recoil compared to the .45acp?
    LOUD ...... VERY
    Recoil.... for me it "pushes back" more... (Compairing a 226 in .357 SIG and a 220 in .45ACP)

I have a P226 in .40S&W and have the .357 barrel. Great.
    I will be looking at getting a BarSto 9mm barrel in the near future.

Lateck,

Well I am not going to down the 9mm because many people carry it and there are good places for it. However, I will pick a 357 Sig every time. I carry one on duty and many other officers at my department do as well. My department actually frowns on officers carrying a 9mm because of a lethal force incident we had a few years back when not a single 9mm round penetrated the cover the subject was behind. The other reason why I am not fond of the 9mm is the lack of power in a leo situation. I know some people will say it is plenty powerful but at our tactical range, the 9mm rounds won't even knock over the steel target plates we use. Now with that being said, there are plenty of good uses for a 9mm. They have low recoil, cheep ammo, slim frame with higher capacity, and several different ammo choices. I guess it all depends on why you are carrying the weapon and your mindset. Do you want more rounds to hit with or want to rely on less rounds with more power? Also skill is not the only factor because accuracy is greatly decreased in a life or death situation. Some people are just more comfortable having more rounds in their magazine. As far as muzzle flip or felt recoil, it will not be very noticeable in a Sig 229. The only time it becomes a pain is when you shoot such a hot round out of a polymer frame like a glock or xd.

Also this is not intended to down the 9mm round or anyone that carries one. This is just my opinion of the round when carried in a full size frame. My above opinion does not apply to small frame weapons or people needing to carry a weapon with low recoil.

I love my S&WM&P 357Sig/40S&W, I carry it mostly in the 357Sig chambering 70% of the time the other 30% of the time I use the 40S&W barrel and I shoot both of them about the same. The recoil and muzzle flip is indistinguishable to me and both rounds should stop an attack on your person in short order provided you get good solid Center of Mass hits.

Administrator
    I really like the 357 Sig but I dont own one anymore for a few reasons. Mostly is cost and availability. I like to be able to walk into any gun shop, Walmart or whatever and be able to find a box of ammo. Try it with 357 Sig; It gets tough. Its also a little tougher for me to shoot when compared to my old standby calibers, 9mm and 45acp.

And a side note, if you don't care for the 40S&W because of recoil, you really won't like the 357 Sig either.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I really like the 357 Sig but I dont own one anymore for a few reasons. Mostly is cost and availability. I like to be able to walk into any gun shop, Walmart or whatever and be able to find a box of ammo. Try it with 357 Sig; It gets tough. Its also a little tougher for me to shoot when compared to my old standby calibers, 9mm and 45acp.

And a side note, if you don't care for the 40S&W because of recoil, you really won't like the 357 Sig either.
    Price=Agreed
    Availability=Agreed
    Tougher to shoot than some= To a point, yes
    Recoil compared to a 40= It is a different type of recoil in my opinion but it does suck out of a polymer gun. Not bad out of a 229 though.

I really don't have a dog in this fight. I carry a Glock 23 (.40S&W). Love it.

But, for what it's worth. The Secret Service issues Sig Sauer P229 in .357sig. Works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Not trying to be snide here, but get over the "one kind of ammo to stock" thing. Are all your shoes the same? Shirts? Pants? Belts?
    I bet all of his shoes, shirts, pants, and belts are different, but I bet he loads them with the same thing when they each are used
    Glock Certified Armorer

The .357 SIG is like a 9mm on steroids...pretty snappy out of the wrong gun. Probably isnt too bad, out of a 229. IMO SIG does two things really really well, 9mm and .45 acp. If I buy SIG it is one of those two. I think you will be happiest in the long run with a 9mm.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Trying to decide between a 229 in .357 sig or a 220 carry in .45 acp... 12 rounds of .357 or 8 of 45 acp. 229 is half an inch shorter and 2 oz lighter. Not sure which way to go, def need to hold and shoot both.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links