Getting a Sig P229. 9mm or .357sig? - Page 3

Getting a Sig P229. 9mm or .357sig?

This is a discussion on Getting a Sig P229. 9mm or .357sig? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Once agian thanks for all of your replies, I will be renting one tomorrow to see how I like it. If I like the.357sig then ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Getting a Sig P229. 9mm or .357sig?

Once agian thanks for all of your replies, I will be renting one tomorrow to see how I like it. If I like the.357sig then I will go with it, if not then the 9mm. I will post tomorrow and let everyone know what I decide.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

I would go .357 sig and make sure I could get a 9mm converion barrel for it. That way you have the best of both worlds.

I just picked up a 9mm Conversion barrel for my G23. I just feel with the way ammo prices are going up and up. I'm going to be able to go to the range more with a switch to 9mm. Also as mentioned 9mm is a much easier round to find if ammo becomes scarce again.

Look forward to hearing about your trip to the range and what you decide on.

Distinguished Member
    the past few years I just alternate between my 229 and P01, carry comfortable with both! Good luck with what you decide, I think you will be happy with Sig!
    RKBA

John

I have a 357 SIG barrel for my P229. I keep the .40 barrel in there most of the time though since ammo is cheaper. I get a kick out of shooting the 357 from time to time though. It is louder, flashes more and has more muzzle flip than the .40, but it shoots very tight groups easily. At least that was my experience when I brought both barrels to the range. You're definitely making the right call renting first, and the P229 is definitely a good gun for the caliber since it's so heavy. If you get a P229 I recommend a .40 or 357, since you get quite a bit more power but only at the expense of one round of capacity (12 vs 13).

VIP Member
    Personally, I would go with the .357 sig, if I could afford, and justify the 15-20c. per round, and as long as you are diligent about acquiring a good stash of reserve ammo(800-2000 rounds FMJ, and 2-300 SD rounds)

The 9mm is more than ADEQUATE, but the .357 sig is superior to all but 10mm as far as a SD round in an auto-loader goes, IMHO!
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Well I went with the 9mm, and I picked up a Remington 870 while I was there. Can't wait to go shoot.

Thanks for all the replies.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Well I went with the 9mm, and I picked up a Remington 870 while I was there. Can't wait to go shoot.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Good call, when you actually look at the terminal performance of .357sig vs 9mm there isn't any difference. In fact, the poster federal releases showing the performance of the HST in various cartridges shows the 147gr HST in 9mm outperforms the 125gr HST in .357 sig in bare gelatin and through every barrier except for plywood.

P229 9mm or .357SIG

No Question. .357SIG Hands down. The recoil is very rapid but not that severe. Loud as hell, yes people will ask what that is. It is by far the sweetest round I have ever shot, especially from the P229. Also the most accurate. Texas LEO's use it because it will punch through auto glass with no problem. Compare the ballistics 9mm, 10mm and .45acp. You will be surprised.
    Weapons list suppressed...........

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Not trying to be snide here, but get over the "one kind of ammo to stock" thing. Are all your shoes the same? Shirts? Pants? Belts? .
    Since you ask! All my boots are Black cowboy boots, all my pants are black, all my belts are black. But you have a point, All my shirts are all different not one of them is black. It make choosing what to wear a lot easier. Just grab a shirt and it goes with everything else.

I guess it is an old habit from the USMC. All clothing was green, all shoes were black. When I buy a gun I buy in pairs. one for me, one for the wife, her gun choice may be different but the calibers are the same. It also make reloading easier. Tool up for one caliber and then make a bunch of ammo.

When we were gearing up to evacuate because of fire We agreed on which caliber to take, I just grabbed a GI ammo can stocked with that caliber and we were good-to-go and beside we had other thing to worry about.

I carry a P229 in .40 almost daily, excellent firearm.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I am very interested in it also. I was checking the Glock 32 today after work at the gun store. They didn't have an M&P which is what I really wanted to see. I might just wait for the Gen4 Glock 32. I am seeing a lot of posts similar to this one lately, and the more I read the more interested I get.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links