Getting a Sig P229. 9mm or .357sig?

This is a discussion on Getting a Sig P229. 9mm or .357sig? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be buying a Sig P229 next weekend. I just cant decide between 9mm or .357sig. I already have my CZ P-01 which is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Getting a Sig P229. 9mm or .357sig?

I will be buying a Sig P229 next weekend. I just cant decide between 9mm or .357sig. I already have my CZ P-01 which is 9mm, so I would only have to buy one type of ammo.

That would be a plus, and I really like 9mm. Now I have read a lot of good stuff about .357sig but I have never shot one.

So I am looking for any input that y'all can give me, so please share any info that you can, about the + and - sides to the .357sig.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Lead Moderator
    Having everything use one kind of ammo is a plus,on the other hand....

If you get your 229 in 357 you can get a 40 S&W barrel and swap between the 357 and 40, they use the same mags and the 40 is usually cheaper.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post

If you get your 229 in 357 you can get a 40 S&W barrel and swap between the 357 and 40, they use the same mags and the 40 is usually cheaper.
    And you can get a aftermarket 9mm barrel and shoot all three. But once you shoot 357sig you're ruined for the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post

Being able to get the .40S&W barrel would not be a plus for me, because I do not like the .40S&W round at all. I really just want to know the advantages and disadvantages of the .357sig round.

-Joseph Conrad-

Here is link for lots of 357 Sig info.

I find the round to be a little more snappy than a 9mm. Very accurate and ammo is not that pricey. I buy factory reloads at the gun shows for the same price as .40 cal.

Go here...

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Being able to get the .40S&W barrel would not be a plus for me, because I do not like the .40S&W round at all. I really just want to know the advantages and disadvantages of the .357sig round.
    What makes you dislike the fourty?

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    What makes you dislike the fourty?
    Muzzle flip it snaps more than a .45acp.
    TonyDTrigger likes this.

-Joseph Conrad-

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Muzzle flip it snaps more than a .45acp.
    Same complaint most have about the fourty mostly in glocks. Get your P229 in 357 or 40. you can change it back and forth yourself and then deciede. My personal 229 is in 357Sig and I wouldn't have it any other way. 357Sig is far and away more than a +p 9mm and less felt recoil than .40. Buying ammo for the Sig is mostly more expensive unless you use the internet.

357Sig has become my primary caliber of carry mainly because it does everything better than the other popular calibers. With three guns chambered in 357Sig and who knows how many thousands of rounds fired I think I've found the one.

Thanks for all the replies. Please keep them coming.

-Joseph Conrad-

I became fascinated with the .357 Sig a while back and, as is often the case with me, I went overboard! I bought barrels for my Glock 23 and Glock 27. Great round but loud! It will cause a stir at your range until people find out what you are shooting. I added a Tungsten guide rod to the 23 to help with the snappy recoil. Not much help. I have since converted both guns back to the 40 S&W........HOWEVER, during the 357 Sig learning experience, I bought a used Sig 229 in 357 Sig. TOTALLY DIFFERENT than the Glocks. The 229 is SWEET in this caliber! It is probably the most accurate, out of the box, gun/caliber that I have shot. I'm not partial to the size of the Sig 229, so it does not do much EDC with me. I still rely on the 1911 Compact size in 45 ACP or 10mm. I found that Georgia Arms had good prices on the 357 Sig round.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Muzzle flip isnt bad in my 239 and it is a 40, but if you already have a 9mm stick with it. there are 9mm loads that are quite impressive.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    Muzzle flip isnt bad in my 239 and it is a 40, but if you already have a 9mm stick with it. there are 9mm loads that are quite impressive.
    I vote for the 9mm. Ammo is pretty cheap which will give you a lot more trigger time with it than you will get with .357 SIG rounds. My buddy who is an SF operator keeps reminding me that you don't get points for getting close. Also with today's defensive ammo for the 9mm such as Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +p rounds, you will be doing pretty good.

VIP Member
    .357 Sig is an answer in search of a problem. Go with the 9mm! There is about a gazillion choices with the 9mm when it comes to ammo. Regular, + P, + P +. Pretty much as hot as you like.

A .357 Sig still shoots a 9mm size bullet. The end result is just a little more velocity for less capacity and more expensive ammo.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not trying to be snide here, but get over the "one kind of ammo to stock" thing. Are all your shoes the same? Shirts? Pants? Belts? Do you refuse to own a shotgun because its rounds won't fit your 9mm handgun?

Of course not, to all the above. It's not more difficult to stack 3-4 different calibers of ammo on a shelf than it is one. I've had up to 12 different caliber ammos for various firearms, and not once was there any confusion figuring out what was for waht. Now if you had guns in 32 different flavors, you might have a problem organizing the ammo.

I'd suggest shooting the .357 first before making any decision. I've shot my son's SIG (don't know the model) in .357, and yes, it kicks a bit more, is a bit louder than a 9mm (and I wouldn't shoot either without hearing protection exceptin a SD sit), but to me--not objectionally so. If I had to choose one or the other in a life-saving situation, I'd opt for the .357 Sig. The Sig's weight will handle the recoil of the rounds better than something lighter, like a Glock.

Secondly, expect the ammo for the .357 to cost more and have less bullet choices available. 9mm ammo is cheaper, usually more readily avaiable in LGs, but a little time on the net will find you good deals in bulk .357 also.

Once you've fired both, you'll know which you prefer, based on how each handles and how well you shoot both.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have a 226 in 40 and I am waiting on my 357 barrel. I also have 9mm, but will be able to swap barrels if I want. Do some research on the 357 sig, its an incredible cartridge. I have yet to shoot it and look forward to getting to know it. You can find the ammo at good prices on the net and at gun shows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links