Kimbers new Solo pocket 9mm

This is a discussion on Kimbers new Solo pocket 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When you guys own or shoot one of these gems please post the results in here. http://www.kimberamerica.com/solo...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimbers new Solo pocket 9mm

Kimbers new Solo pocket 9mm

When you guys own or shoot one of these gems please post the results in here.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/solo
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

2. Remove Ads

Very nice looking and appealing pistol. If they're reliable and quality-control is good... I'd be interested (assuming the price is right).
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Pro;
    High quality, thin, lightweight.
    Con;
    Expensive, striker fired and has a safety.

The Kimber is up against some good, proven guns. I am dubious of it's long term success. However... take off the safety, put a hammer on it and a good DAO or DA/SA trigger and I'd be very interested.

I just got back from a local show today and one of the dealers had a Kimber Solo for sale at $725. I was really tempted to purchase it because it is very nice. I even put it side by side next to a Kahr PM9 and the Solo is about 1/8-1/4 of an inch shorter and same height wise. The workmanship seems to be very well made. Again I was really tempted to purchase it, and came back to the table about 3 times to hold it, etc. and on the 4th trip, found it had sold. People complaining that the safety is too big like batman wings, well holding the pistol in my hand, I can honestly tell you that the safety is very very very low profile, just enough to have your thumb activate it. Much smaller than a 1911 safety. Did I tell you that this thing has a low profile safety ??? This thing will give the Kahr PM9 a run for the money. Just sharing my observations. God Bless

I got to handle one yesterday at a LGS. Put it side by side with wth Sig P238 and they are approximately the same size. The one thing I did not like about the Kimber initially was the feel of the trigger....it felt spongy to me, with a lot of take up and not very crisp break. I'd like to see a 1911 style trigger if they insist on a manual safety. Other than the trigger the dimensions and feel were suprisingly good.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nice looking. Hammer/striker, makes no diff to me--as long as it goes bang when I tell it to.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

What I find strange is that I *thought* the Solo was a SA trigger, but 2 different sales people that I talked to at the dealer at the show said that it was a DA. Anyone know for sure ??? God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    What I find strange is that I *thought* the Solo was a SA trigger, but 2 different sales people that I talked to at the dealer at the show said that it was a DA. Anyone know for sure ??? God Bless
    SA striker fired, but it's definitely SA.

Is it possible that the striker could be partially cocked and the trigger pull fully brings it back to a release point?? If that were the case it seems that could be considered a DA. I only thought of this because as I pulled the trigger on the Solo yesterday i could have sworn the striker plate on the rear of the slide (correct term?) seems to move just slightly when the trigger reached the break point.

So do you think it will fit as a pocket pistol? I know that is relative and everyones different, but if it fits the pocket ok and can be drawn easisy from the pocket...they should sell a few of them when the price goes down a bit.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    So do you think it will fit as a pocket pistol? I know that is relative and everyones different, but if it fits the pocket ok and can be drawn easisy from the pocket...they should sell a few of them when the price goes down a bit.
    - If you consider a Kahr PM9 a pocket pistol, then the Solo should also be since it's virtually identical in size.

I don't consider the PM9 to be comfortable pocket pistol once you add a holster. 20oz.+ loaded also feels like a brick in my pocket, so I never pocket carry the PM9. A lot of other people don't have any problems pocket carrying a gun this size though. I like the Kahr P380 or Ruger LCP for pocket carry since they are slimmer and much lighter.

Nice to see another micro 9 to choose from, though I wish it were cheaper.

My P-11 holds twice as much ammo for 1/3 the price,and goes bang everytime
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    It is certainly an awesome looking pistol. I wish it had the grip and trigger safety (both) like the Springfield XDMs instead of that thumb one.

It must be really small to carry only 6 rounds + 1. I am looking for something smaller than my Sig P239, and I was thinking of a small J-frame revolver like the S&W 442 .38 special. I would prefer an auto-pistol however, if I can find one that is absolutely reliable and safe to carry.

A pistol that's striker fired is not a con to me. With proper safety features, it is definitely an advantage in safety and control. Every pull of the trigger is exactly the same. Unlike a DOA/SA which has a long 1st trigger pull followed by hair light single pulls after that.

It would definitely be a pocket pistol for me. Here in FL all I wear in the summer is long T shirts or shirts, and cargo shorts

Not mine, but somebody has been out shooting over on the SigForum and traded it in the same day.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/1010034832

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links