Trust

This is a discussion on Trust within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I dont trust anyone or any gun right out of the box....

View Poll Results: Trust your gun to carry new right out of the box?

Voters
223. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 18.39%
  • No

182 81.61%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trust

I dont trust anyone or any gun right out of the box.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    If I absolutely had to... yes. But unless I'm somewhere without mine and I need to buy something NOW and will have no chance to get to a range (not likely to happen) then I prefer to put a few hundred rounds through them to check function and ammo.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I try them all. I've bought a brand new rifle that would not fire. Took it back to the Dealer and I was told that the chamber was over milled at the factory (causing the round to be a little to far forward) and the firing pin was not striking the primer hard enough to fire the weapon. Dealer gave me another rifle.
    Glock 36 / Crimson Trace LG-436
    Ruger LCP / Crimson Trace LG-431

I would say yes with a strong conditionals . First I would feel safe assuming it would fire, statistic in my favor. I would not trust it to be accurate. I would also trust that there is not anything cataclysmic wrong with it. ie blowing up on the first shot. Second I would be more inclined to trust if it is a revolver, and or it is of a good brand. Would I want to do that, no. would I if I had to, yes. If you had the opportunity to take it out and put a few rounds through it before carrying and did not, would I think you a fool. Yes.

GM
    Nope. Regardless if it is a semi-auto or a revolver it is a mechanical device.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I would WANT to test any gun, of any make, before trusting my life to it. However, if my life were in danger and I had in front of me a table full of new guns, I would grab a Sig or Glock before any other manufacturer, and consider my odds pretty good.
    ^^^^^I'll go along with that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Revolver maybe, semi-auto, most likely not, for reasons stated from others.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I voted "no" in the poll. I would much rather depend upon an untested SIG than any other brand of autopistol, based on experience. I own several SIGs, and have owned a couple more. I have owned several Glocks, and will say I would rather depend upon an untested SIG than an untested Glock.

I voted no, I test all of my guns when they are new, even the revolvers. I want to know the darn thing works, instead of standing in front of a BG, wide eyed and shouting "Holy Catfish!", or something to that effect.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I would WANT to test any gun, of any make, before trusting my life to it. However, if my life were in danger and I had in front of me a table full of new guns, I would grab a Sig or Glock before any other manufacturer, and consider my odds pretty good.
    Ditto!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If it was the only gun I owned, of course I would carry it right out of the box. If not, I would run a couple of boxes of ammo through it before I started carrying it (since I would have another handgun to rely on)...more to make sure I am proficient with it than that it functions correctly. I had a Kimber Ultra Carry that I put a couple of hundred rounds through...ran flawlessly...then it started having feeding problems. You can run 500 rounds through a weapon, but that is still not a 100% guarantee that the 501st round is going to work properly. I'm just saying.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

I don't own a Sig, but the only thang I'd trust straight out of a box would be a rock.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I now have 5 Glocks...got the fifth one tonight, and although I want to try them all at the range with a few hundred rounds, I know that they would all go 'boom' out of the box if the need arose.

I wouldn't drive a car (new or used) on a long trip without giving it a 'test'...so to speak.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Nope... not even a Glock till I run it and then run it again with my SD ammo.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I would test fire any gun before carrying it. Sigs are great, and my P229DAK has never had an issue, but I checked it out first.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

It's not necessarily the gun that I have to learn to trust, but the ammo I attempt to feed it.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links