Trust

This is a discussion on Trust within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This poll defeated my attempt to answer it. So I didn't vote. It's not that I couldn't decide, it's that the question itself is miserably, ...

View Poll Results: Trust your gun to carry new right out of the box?

Voters
223. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 18.39%
  • No

182 81.61%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trust

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    This poll defeated my attempt to answer it. So I didn't vote.

It's not that I couldn't decide, it's that the question itself is miserably, utterly wrong. While I'm as imaginative as the next fellow, I cannot get into the headspace of a person who could ask a question like this.

Weapons are organic things. They are part of your mind and body. You train with them until they are as familiar to you as the sound of your voice and the sight of your face in a mirror. Guns, like swords, are individually unique - each has its own character and personality. As you train, you learn its particular idiosyncrasies and quirks, the things it does well and the spots where extra care is needed.

Any gun, right out of the box, is an unknown quantity. You'd want to clean a semiauto thoroughly and examine each part, oil it and reassemble, check for magazine retention and drop, spring strength, ejection path, and sight accuracy. Eventually, over time, it will become known to you.

Given today's quality of machining and manufacturing tolerances, I would assume any gun off the shelf, NIB, loaded with standard ammo probably would fire and that wouldn't be a particular concern. Same with a sword. Out of the box, I'm sure it would cut things and be capable of wreaking tremendous havoc. But until I "know" a blade through extensive work with it, I don't imbue it with my trust.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I would WANT to test any gun, of any make, before trusting my life to it. However, if my life were in danger and I had in front of me a table full of new guns, I would grab a Sig or Glock before any other manufacturer, and consider my odds pretty good.
    This.

Except for the Glock part, too many negative experiences
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    hey all

If you carry a sig and that is the brand you like would you trust it enough to carry right out of the box?

Or do you need a break-in period?

I am particularly interested in hear from Sig Sauer owners but no matter what brand you prefer please vote and post.
    Okay, due to the area in bold I voted YES cause I trust my revolvers right outa the box.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    hey all

If you carry a sig and that is the brand you like would you trust it enough to carry right out of the box?

Or do you need a break-in period?

I am particularly interested in hear from Sig Sauer owners but no matter what brand you prefer please vote and post.
    Of all the brands of semi-auto pistol that I've owned or shot, the ONLY one I would trust enough to carry out of the box without testing is Glock.

That said, I would only do this under extraordinary circumstances - ie, I only had that one unproven pistol, and couldn't get to a range for some reason. Otherwise, you should test the pistol, ammo, and magazines to ensure function if at all possible.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    This poll defeated my attempt to answer it. So I didn't vote.

It's not that I couldn't decide, it's that the question itself is miserably, utterly wrong. While I'm as imaginative as the next fellow, I cannot get into the headspace of a person who could ask a question like this.

Weapons are organic things. They are part of your mind and body. You train with them until they are as familiar to you as the sound of your voice and the sight of your face in a mirror. Guns, like swords, are individually unique - each has its own character and personality. As you train, you learn its particular idiosyncrasies and quirks, the things it does well and the spots where extra care is needed.

Any gun, right out of the box, is an unknown quantity. You'd want to clean a semiauto thoroughly and examine each part, oil it and reassemble, check for magazine retention and drop, spring strength, ejection path, and sight accuracy. Eventually, over time, it will become known to you.

Given today's quality of machining and manufacturing tolerances, I would assume any gun off the shelf, NIB, loaded with standard ammo probably would fire and that wouldn't be a particular concern. Same with a sword. Out of the box, I'm sure it would cut things and be capable of wreaking tremendous havoc. But until I "know" a blade through extensive work with it, I don't imbue it with my trust.

Well Let me help I am the man that asked the question. I have been carrying a gun for thirty + years and yes I have had to carry some right out of the box. Do I do that by choice no but in most cases from experience very seldom will a gun show problem with the first 1to25 rds. Now just to let you know where my head is I have been involved in LE for many many years as a fire arms instructor and hand to hand. I have seen hundreds of people carry guns out of the box for sometimes weeks before ever firing them for the first time. Do I like to no but I have no real problem with it unless I bought the gun used. Most new if not all guns 500.00 and more will go boom several times the first time you shoot them. I started to carry 1911's a long time ago and was told at that time there not reliable and take to much maintenance to keep them working, well I have 1911's that have fired every-time with over 40,000 rds thru them. If I buy a new gun it comes home gets tore down inspected oiled and assembled at that point if everything cks out it can be carried if necessary until it can be fired of course the sooner the better.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    If I buy a new gun it comes home gets tore down inspected oiled and assembled at that point if everything cks out it can be carried if necessary until it can be fired of course the sooner the better.
    Erm... quite.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    100 rounds...200...500?

Ever notice how a light bulb burns out the next time you turn it on? No matter how many rounds you fire, any gun may malfunction the next time you pull the trigger.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    If I had to trust a gun right out of the box it would have to be a Sig.

That didn't take 5 paragraphs.

VIP Member
    Of course it’s not a good practice to buy a gun, load it, and then carry it without ever test firing it. However, based solely on 'my own' experience I would trust a quality revolver out of the box, more than any auto-loader I’ve ever owned.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    Mechanical object, made by men. Nope, don't trust it right out of the box no matter which brand.
    Exactly. Besides insuring that it functions reliably, I would also want to be sure it fits my hand well, shoots to point of aim with the ammo I will carry, and that I am familiar enough with it and it's controls that I can clear a jam in the dark.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

I voted no, but as it turned out, my two normal carry guns would have been fine.

The day I bought my XD-40 4", I ran 250 rounds of FMJ and 250 rounds of assorted HP defensive ammo through it without a hiccup. I've probably put 5000 rounds of all manner of ammo through it without one issue.

The day I bought my 642 Airweight J frame, I ran 200 rounds of .38 FMJ (ouch), then waited a week before running 100 rounds of 158gr LSWCHP+p and 50 rounds of 135gr short barrel +p Gold Dots through it. Really, with all the HP ammo, I was just checking point of aim.

Both were flawless, but I appreciated the added peace of mind the range sessions afforded me.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Before I carry a gun I test fire and zero the sights.

Before I testfire I fieldstrip , clean, and inspect the firearm

Before I fieldstrip I READ the MANUAL

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

drw
    I never completly trust my main carry gun, which is why I carry a spare mag.....in case I have mag issues. Although I don't carry a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    If I had to trust a gun right out of the box it would have to be a Sig.

That didn't take 5 paragraphs.
    I can agree with the above, as all of my SIG's worked great right of the box, with out cleaning!

But there has been a lot of good answers!
    I am glad that we do not live in the old west where we might have had to test a new gun right out of the case...

But I try to shoot any new gun first...

Lateck,

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    testing a gun before trusting your life to it is a MUST. There are so many things that could go wrong mechanically with a handgun or even with knowing the proper function of the handgun itself, that it is not worth it to risk one's life by not testing the handgun beforehand. My advice is to shoot at least 200 rounds on any new gun to test its reliability and then trust the gun for concealed carry and self defense.

Nonetheless, if I had to carry a gun right out of the box without a test, I would only choose a pistol made by Sig Sauer, Heckler & Koch, Walther, Beretta or Glock.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links