Trust - Page 4

Trust

This is a discussion on Trust within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I voted "NO" but, there ARE a few NIB firearms that could possibly be trusted more than others. A WILSON 1911 since they are extensively ...

View Poll Results: Trust your gun to carry new right out of the box?

Voters
223. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 18.39%
  • No

182 81.61%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trust

Administrator
    I voted "NO" but, there ARE a few NIB firearms that could possibly be trusted more than others.

A WILSON 1911 since they are extensively test fired for both accuracy and reliability after being built and before being shipped out.

The earlier Walthers that were always furnished with a factory completion test target.

It "used to be" that you could pretty much trust every SIG pistol right out of the box....not so much these days since they have really started cranking them out. But, still these days a SIG handgun would still be a pretty safe bet.

A Rohrbaugh 9 you could pretty much trust in "New In Box" condition.

Absolutely ANY handbuilt KORTH semi-automatic or revolver you (guaranteed) could bet your life on right out of the box...but, $5,000 minimum for a Bare Bones No Frills is a LOT to pay for a handgun.

Any vintage but, New In Box Colt Python would be a 99% that it's going to go bang every time you pull the trigger.

Pretty much each and every Glock handgun is going to function right out of the box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is not to say that all of the above would be forever non problematic...but, here is my thought process.

> You just bought a handgun and some high quality factory ammo and just got it into the house.

> Some really badass bad guys followed you home.

> They just started busting in your front door intending to kill you AKA a home invasion.

> You have just enough time to load up your spanky new firearm when the scumbags burst through the door.

> Will you be able to stop them OR will your new firearm just go "CLICK" and not BANG?

Sponsor
    Most times the one the need a breaking time period is the shooting hand, if one doesn't feel comfortable with a tool, the tool might not be very efficient. IMO the hardest part is the "feeling " for the grip.
    Go with the glow

I voted Yes for my glock. But anything else would have to prove it.

I trust my Glocks straight out of the box and also S&W Revolvers, But I still like to shoot a couple hundred rounds before I carry them.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

My 4 Glocks and my S&W J Frames are the only Guns I trust right out of the box and no other brand. I have owned and shot Glocks for over 13 years and I am still waiting for my first malfunction. Case Closed!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    > You just bought a handgun and some high quality factory ammo and just got it into the house.

> Some really badass bad guys followed you home.

> They just started busting in your front door intending to kill you AKA a home invasion.

> You have just enough time to load up your spanky new firearm when the scumbags burst through the door.

> Will you be able to stop them OR will your new firearm just go "CLICK" and not BANG?
    In this instance, I hope you, like me would be carrying your all ready tested EDC. Why use the new gun when you have a tested and proven (and loaded) gun on your belt?
    Last edited by sigmanluke; January 24th, 2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: more clarity
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I, like many prefer to test any new handgun. Manufacterers do make mistakes. In regard to Sig in particular I have thoroughly tested all that i have owned. Since NIB I have not had 1 issue with any Sig and my P226 has over 8000 rounds through it. This is also true of my H&Ks just don't ask about the Kimbers.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Nope. Even Glocks get 200 rounds through them before they go in the IWB and neither of my Glocks had any problem, ever, feeding any factory ammo I put in them. Or thousands of my reloads either.

I also don't carry new magazines till they have had at least a full load through them.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I voted 'yes', but there are conditions.

If it were between carrying a gun you haven't yet had a chance to shoot, or not carrying one at all. Your chances of survival are better carrying it until you have the chance to shoot it.

Definitely practice with it as soon as you can after you get it, see what ammo it likes. (luckily, my 639 isn't particular to anything)

If you have another firearm, definitely wait until you are able to train with the new weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    100 rounds...200...500?

Ever notice how a light bulb burns out the next time you turn it on? No matter how many rounds you fire, any gun may malfunction the next time you pull the trigger.
    That's kind of how I see it too. I test each firearm I buy, but 500 rounds, no I don't do that. I test all magazines repeatedly with full loads I intend to carry. If a revolver runs fine after 2-3 cylinders I call it good. Now this is based on trusting the gun, not training so that the gun is an extension of my body, that's a different question. For years I did preventive maintenance and repairs on medical equipment. It can break at any time even right after an inspection. So in my mind all mechanical devices break and you can't know when it will happen. Life support equipment breaks, guns will malfunction. It's what you do when that happens that's important.

I'm doing an experiment now so to speak with a Taurus 709 Slim. So much talk on here about Taurus being unreliable that I'm keeping a running total of rounds fired through the 709 while I maintain it to letter as the manual recommends. So far I'm sitting a 600 rounds with zero malfunctions.

Anyway, going back to my corner now.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Not that I don't trust my Glocks but I still put a "confidence 250" through them before I carry them.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

There is no good reason to fail to test the firearm first.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I have to break in my gun for me to trust it.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

cj
    I've got a lot of various guns, and never had a major problem with any (ok...except an AR-7 variant that had had a home smithing job done on it)...BUT, I still want to at least test something before I'd carry it. Would you take a gun from a box and shoot a contest with it? I seriously doubt it, and carrying a gun is a lot more important than a contest.

All it takes is a combination of slightly out of spec parts to...perhaps leave the firing pin a little too light, or an extractor too loose, or some other easily fixable issue that would be bad to discover while your family is in danger.

I voted yes before I read the question...... out of the box trust to me = GLOCK

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links