Defensive Carry banner

Trust your gun to carry new right out of the box?

• Yes

Votes: 41 18.4%
  • No

Votes: 182 81.6%

Trust

6K views 70 replies 66 participants last post by  shooterX 
#1 ·
hey all

If you carry a sig and that is the brand you like would you trust it enough to carry right out of the box?

Or do you need a break-in period?

I am particularly interested in hear from Sig Sauer owners but no matter what brand you prefer please vote and post.

#2 ·
For me its not about a break in as much as it is making sure the gun operates like it should, I am familiar with it and I find ammo that it likes.

#4 ·
I don't own a Sig, so I will forbear voting. But I agree with the above :yup:

#5 ·
I would WANT to test any gun, of any make, before trusting my life to it. However, if my life were in danger and I had in front of me a table full of new guns, I would grab a Sig or Glock before any other manufacturer, and consider my odds pretty good.

#21 ·
^^^^^I'll go along with that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Revolver maybe, semi-auto, most likely not, for reasons stated from others.

#6 ·
Don't care who made it, if I haven't made sure it shoots well for me in my hands, I won't trust it for carry or HD...HK's, Glocks...even revolvers.

I run at least a couple hundred rounds of FMJ, then at least 50 rounds of my carry ammo through a pistol before I carry it.

#40 ·
Exactly. Besides insuring that it functions reliably, I would also want to be sure it fits my hand well, shoots to point of aim with the ammo I will carry, and that I am familiar enough with it and it's controls that I can clear a jam in the dark.

#8 ·
Even if I purchase the same gun I'm carrying, I will test it before I let my life count on it.

#9 ·
Sorry but this seems like a "non" poll. Can't imagine anyone doing this and if you're discerning enough to be buying a SIG you probably have done enough thinking and reading that you wouldn't do this unless desperate on the ride home from the store.

I wouldn't even do this with a revolver based on what happened to me with a Ruger SP101 one time.

Gideon

#10 ·
I've never owned a Sig, but I don't trusy ANY firearm that I haven't personally put a few hundred rounds through. Not every gun operates the same and not every gun will accept every kind of ammunition out there. Not to mention that some guns need a good cleaning and lubrication right out of the box.

#13 ·
I didn't vote as I don't trust anything out of the box--guns, knives, light bulbs, whatever. I like to test everything. Still, I clearly diferentiate between testing and the infamous "break-in." Clearly some guns are ammo style/brand finicky, so it must be tested with the differnt ammos. If it doesn't like Brand X, I don't want to use Brand X. But firing "X" hundred rounds to make it work right? No thanks. If I have to do the finishing work at my expense, I want a discount.

#14 ·
I've owned and carried many quality guns, including Sig, CZ, Springfield Armory, Colt and my Dan Wesson. I trust none of them enough to carry straight out of the box. A gun is a mechanical tool, and as such is subject to flaws in materials and workmanship. Before I'll carry any gun, I function check it with several hundred rounds of target and carry ammo.

#15 ·
Not A Sig! A Glock Maybe !

#17 ·
If I absolutely had to... yes. But unless I'm somewhere without mine and I need to buy something NOW and will have no chance to get to a range (not likely to happen) then I prefer to put a few hundred rounds through them to check function and ammo.

#18 ·
I try them all. I've bought a brand new rifle that would not fire. Took it back to the Dealer and I was told that the chamber was over milled at the factory (causing the round to be a little to far forward) and the firing pin was not striking the primer hard enough to fire the weapon. Dealer gave me another rifle.

#19 ·
I would say yes with a strong conditionals . First I would feel safe assuming it would fire, statistic in my favor. I would not trust it to be accurate. I would also trust that there is not anything cataclysmic wrong with it. ie blowing up on the first shot. Second I would be more inclined to trust if it is a revolver, and or it is of a good brand. Would I want to do that, no. would I if I had to, yes. If you had the opportunity to take it out and put a few rounds through it before carrying and did not, would I think you a fool. Yes.

#22 ·
I voted "no" in the poll. I would much rather depend upon an untested SIG than any other brand of autopistol, based on experience. I own several SIGs, and have owned a couple more. I have owned several Glocks, and will say I would rather depend upon an untested SIG than an untested Glock.

#25 ·
If it was the only gun I owned, of course I would carry it right out of the box. If not, I would run a couple of boxes of ammo through it before I started carrying it (since I would have another handgun to rely on)...more to make sure I am proficient with it than that it functions correctly. I had a Kimber Ultra Carry that I put a couple of hundred rounds through...ran flawlessly...then it started having feeding problems. You can run 500 rounds through a weapon, but that is still not a 100% guarantee that the 501st round is going to work properly. I'm just saying.

#27 ·
I now have 5 Glocks...got the fifth one tonight, and although I want to try them all at the range with a few hundred rounds, I know that they would all go 'boom' out of the box if the need arose.

I wouldn't drive a car (new or used) on a long trip without giving it a 'test'...so to speak.

#28 ·
Nope... not even a Glock till I run it and then run it again with my SD ammo. :squint:

#29 ·
I would test fire any gun before carrying it. Sigs are great, and my P229DAK has never had an issue, but I checked it out first.

#30 ·
It's not necessarily the gun that I have to learn to trust, but the ammo I attempt to feed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.