Votes: 126 66.3%
  • S&W Model 60

Votes: 62 32.6%
  • other

Votes: 2 1.1%

Ruger SP-101 vs. S&W Model 60

64K views 60 replies 53 participants last post by  novaX522 
#1 ·
I need an education in small .357 wheel guns.

I had pretty much settled on a SP-101, and I even handled one at the LGS recently. It was the 3" version. It was all that I could do, to not whip out the visa.

I've been doing some surfin', and discovered the Model 60. It seems that a lot of people claim that it's one of S&Ws most underrated snubbies.

I know that the Ruger is built to last; I've never read a negative thing about it. But, I cannot find a head-to-head comparison of the two.

It looks like the only difference that I can really find on the surface, is that the Model 60 is a few ounces lighter, coming it at 22 ozs

But I am partial to Ruger, and the SP101 really fits my small hands well. Like I said, it's a little heavier than the 60 at 25 ozs

Which would you prefer? I've already decided that I want a small, stainless .357 with a bit of weight.

It's not going to see any pocket duty, I've already got a 442 for that.

See less See more
#30 ·
Yep, you're right. A 3-inch Smith & Wesson Model 13 or Model 65 might well be the best choice of all for .357 Magnum concealed carry.

Six shots of controllable full bore .357 Magnum goodness.

#32 ·
If you are indifferent between the 2" & 3" from a carry/concealment perspective I would go with the 3". I believe the ballistic performance is better from the 3" as more of the powder burns in the barrel.

#34 ·
The only .357 I'd get would be one of the Rugers. From what I've read, the ratio for full power loads in a Smith are 1-10, so 1 full house .357 for every ten .38 Spl. A full diet of .357 would shake it loose. This isn't the case for the Rugers.

The only thing I'll say, though, is that both SP101s I've had required a trigger job and Wolff springs to really bring out their abilities. Easy enough to do, though, and it's nice seeing how they're put together.

#44 ·
The only .357 I'd get would be one of the Rugers. From what I've read, the ratio for full power loads in a Smith are 1-10, so 1 full house .357 for every ten .38 Spl. A full diet of .357 would shake it loose. This isn't the case for the Rugers.

The only thing I'll say, though, is that both SP101s I've had required a trigger job and Wolff springs to really bring out their abilities. Easy enough to do, though, and it's nice seeing how they're put together.

WHAT? :blink: do you have some proof of this? Because last time I checked S&W was still the best wheel gun makers in the HISTORY of revolvers.

#37 ·
The Smith mdl 60 and 36 is a 38special not .357 magnum. I have both a Jframe model 638 which is a Airweight 38special and a Ruger SP101 double action only flush hammer and I carry them both. If I had to bring it down to one choice I'd go with the .357 because you can shoot 38 special as well for target. Not that 38 special isn't a good defensive round, nowadays with all the quality ammo available either will work.

#52 ·
The Smith mdl 60 and 36 is a 38special not .357 magnum.
Wrong. Current Model 60s are in fact chambered in .357 magnum.

I don't think the OP can go wrong with either gun. They are both excellent CCW choices. In the end it really comes down to personal preference.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S4 far, far away...

#39 ·
well i be damned, you are right. they do make a longer version of the 60 in 357 smith just has too many models for its own good...but the original model 36 and 60 was in 2.5 inch 38 special

#45 · (Edited)
With a Smith the Model # is often half the story. Someone helped me out on another forum so I'll pass the model 60 dash history along:

60 - introduced in 1965
60-1 (1972) 3 in square butt limited production
60-2 (1987) DAO NYPD?
60-3 (1988) New yoke retention system
60-4 (1990) 3 in target sights full underlug barrel
60-5 (1990) DAO for NYPD with new yoke retention
60-6 (1989) Ladysmith version
60-7 (1990) front sight 1/8 inch wide, new heat treatment
60-8 (1990) same as 60-7 for NYPD
60-9 (1996) change to J magnum frame
60-10 (1996) Target variation on J magnum frame
60-11 (1996) New frame design for 38 Special version only
60-12 (1996) new frame nose cut
60-13 (1996) same as 60-12 but target version
60-14 (2001) Ladysmith with internal lock
60-15 (2001) internal lock on 357 mag target version
60-16 (2001) internal lock on 38 Special 2 in
60-17 (2001) internal lock on 38 Special 3 inch target
60-18 (2005) internal lock 357 Mag 5 inch target 2 pc barrel

OP - I would go with a SW 60, but I'm partial to Smiths. If you have a range nearby, you may want to try an rent both and see which one you like. Bottom line is you really can't go wrong with either gun. They are both fine weapons.

Woah. Talk about reviving a post! Oh well.

#40 ·
SP101..still waiting for that refund check from NYS. "Come on and send it..I want my new 101 !!"

#41 ·
Case closed. Bought the Ruger.

#51 ·
I own & shoot both the Model 60 (3 inch barrel) and a Ruger SP 101 (3 inch barrel). The M60 is nice and a very attractive and fine shooting weapon. My SP 101 with the spring kit I installed and a Trijicon front sight shooting magnum loads will be a pleasure to shoot all day. Not the case with my M60. PLease do not misunderstand what I'm saying, the M60 for home defense will be fine for a few rounds (I said a few rounds). The M60 shooting 38 spcls is fine if they're not loaded to +P capacities. If I grab my SP 101 with magnum loads I don't have to worry about limited firing ability with magnums. I like both weapons for different reasons. For defending my life and my family..............My SP 101. For just a fun day at the range.....both!!
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

#54 ·
I have the 2.25" SP 101 and love it. However I was visiting a LGS a few weeks back and held a 3" S&W model 60 from the Pro shop and all I can say is, I would have traded my SP 101 in a second for that revolver. While the Ruger feels like a tank, that S&W was just such a nice revolver. I plan to add one to my collection at my earliest opportunity.

#56 ·
I've got that model and, as a matter of fact, it's sitting right here with me. I've had it about a year now and it just keeps getting better. Sooner or later I'll get the 101 in 3" and be proud to own it. They are beef cakes. But I really like shooting the 3" Model 60 Pro and as a field carry, it's a dream. And the Pro model is about all you'll find these days. The classic 3" Model 60 has evaporated for the past year or so.

#55 ·
I have never owned a S&W 60, so I can't speak with any authority, but I did own a 442 and hated it. I know that this is an apples to oranges comparison, but that 442 turned me off to S&W snubs. My 442 felt so good in my hand and it carried so well, but it hurt to shoot. It was painful to shoot. I started to flinch every time I shot it so I traded it. I know the 60 is heavier so I am probably just blowing smoke, but I own a 2.25" SP101 and it handles .357 like a dream. Get a good belt, a good holster, and the extra three ounces amount to nothing. I'd go SP101 in a heart beat.

#58 ·
If you get the SP101 do yourself a favor and don't buy any grips like are on mine in the picture below. With 357's it will bang into the front of your middle finger with the trigger guard. My finger has been sore all week. Mine is about 25 years old and was a lot cheaper to buy back then.

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.