Votes: 126 66.3%
  • S&W Model 60

Votes: 62 32.6%
  • other

Votes: 2 1.1%

Ruger SP-101 vs. S&W Model 60

64K views 60 replies 53 participants last post by  novaX522 
#1 ·
I need an education in small .357 wheel guns.

I had pretty much settled on a SP-101, and I even handled one at the LGS recently. It was the 3" version. It was all that I could do, to not whip out the visa.

I've been doing some surfin', and discovered the Model 60. It seems that a lot of people claim that it's one of S&Ws most underrated snubbies.

I know that the Ruger is built to last; I've never read a negative thing about it. But, I cannot find a head-to-head comparison of the two.

It looks like the only difference that I can really find on the surface, is that the Model 60 is a few ounces lighter, coming it at 22 ozs

But I am partial to Ruger, and the SP101 really fits my small hands well. Like I said, it's a little heavier than the 60 at 25 ozs

Which would you prefer? I've already decided that I want a small, stainless .357 with a bit of weight.

It's not going to see any pocket duty, I've already got a 442 for that.

See less See more
#2 ·
SP101 is my choice. I love mine.

I don't think that you will notice any difference in 3 ounces when carrying. IMO when it comes to magnum revolvers you just can't beat a Ruger. Good luck with you decision.

#6 ·
I love almost everything that S&W has ever produced, but I have to say that the SP-101 takes this contest. The SP-101 is as tough as you will ever find in a small framed revolver... Yes it is stronger than the Model 60.

I also have to say that the SP and GP Rugers are just about the easiest revolvers to rework. A trigger job on a SP-101 is about as simple and straight forward as it gets. I did my own IBOK trigger job and the trigger breaks cleanly at 2.5lbs in SA and 4lbs in DA.

My shiny SP-101

• .357 Magnum 3" Barrel
  • IBOK Trigger Job 2.5 lb SA / 4lb DA
  • Mepro Night Sight
  • Complete pistol dehorn and shine job
  • Ugly lawyer roll-mark removal
  • Hogue Grips

#8 ·
I would have to vote for the Smith and Wesson. Why? You are looking at the 3 inch 357 mag. The Mod 60 has adjustable sights. The SP is only offered with adjustable sights in 327 FED.

#9 ·
I have had an S&W Model 60 (back in the '70s); I haven't owned an SP101. Both are excellent weapons, and I don't think either would be a bad choice. The M60 has adjustable sights which could snag on clothing and are of dubious value on a snubby. From what I have heard, the SP-101 is built so that you could drive a truck over it without damage. If I were looking for a new revolver right now, I would go for the SP-101 (DAO version so I didn't have to deal with the hammer snagging).

#13 ·
I am usually the first person to whine about weight but in the case of the SP-101 I'm glad the weight it there. The thing is built like a tank and the extra OZ's are a good thing if you plan on putting a lot of rounds through the gun as they help soak up the recoil. I can comfortably shoot 100 rounds of .357's (My dad's slightly downloaded hand loads but still) without discomfort. On the flip side if weight is a concern for you I would say skip both and go for a LCR in .357. The trigger is better then both the 101 and the S&W.

Knife Revolver Everyday carry Utility knife Tool

#15 ·
Either one is a great choice, I opted for the SP101. All stainless steel and no MIM parts. They can also be had for less coin (generally speaking). I love my SP101, just wish I had waited for the 3" barrel version in my LGS. The 2" has worked out great so all is well.

#16 ·
Hard to go wrong with either. I don't own either one (closest I have is a 642 Airweight). I will say the SP101 is on my must have list...

Cheers.

Reactions: Mdauben
#17 ·
My Vote is for the Smith and Wesson... My G/F just rented one at the range last weekend... I shot it and I'm thinking about buying one for me when she buys hers.

P.S. If you haven't look at the hammer strike plate on the SP101 you might want to. It is sort of funny how it hits a flat surface. Oh the one we rented was the S&W Model 640, so the hammerless one. I would want the one with the hammer like your pick. I like options

#20 ·
I have the S&W 640 and my friend the SP101 (hammerless). We have both shot both guns and are both pleased with our own choice over the other. I just like the ergos on the Smith better. That it can share Holsters with my 642 is a plus.

#25 ·
I stopped by my LGS today to check out the Springfield XD and to rethink my Glock decision; I left the LGS with a layaway and down payment on a 2-1/4" Ruger SP101 .357 mag.

I love the lockup on it, though the way that Ruger fits the barrel to the frame threw me off as it's a little off-center to the frame but in perfect cylinder alignment and it appears to be normal for all the SP101's I looked at.

$530 after tax when I pay off the rest of it and it comes home with me. :danceban:

#28 ·
I voted for the Model 60.

Personally though I'd choose a 2 1/2-inch Smith & Wesson Model 19 or Model 66 over either the Model 60 or SP 101.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.