What ya think of me and my wifes selection:)

This is a discussion on What ya think of me and my wifes selection:) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, if that's what it takes for your wife to consitently carry, more power to you (and her). I've run 50 rounds through a TCP ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What ya think of me and my wifes selection:)

Hey, if that's what it takes for your wife to consitently carry, more power to you (and her).

I've run 50 rounds through a TCP (non-pink version, so man-card is still in force), and I found it to be a nice little pistol that was a pretty good point-shooter. My wife is finally coming around on the concealed carry thing, realizing that the Kimber Pepper Blaster she has carried for a while is nice but not entirely adequate. She likes shooting my 642, and the recoil doesn't bother her. That's probably the way she'll go, but who knows.

Cheers to your wife! (oh, and nice P220...)
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You must like your wife too much! Let me guess, you recently upped her insurance policy?

All kidding aside. Buy the bull and get the horns.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

CMR
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
    YUP!
    Had a Taurus .38spl fall apart in my hands while shooting it.
    Another friend of mine and a founding member of a popular gun n' ammo forum has sent back a couple Taurus guns because of issues. He won't buy another one.
    My shooting buddy had a Taurus Millennium .45acp that the frame was cracked after shooting less than 500 rounds thru it.
    Taurus has had issues with the CIA .357 mag, it locks up when shooting mag loads.
    And finally, there's a gun shop in my area that will not sell Taurus guns anymore because they got tired of sending them back for warranty work.

Too many noted issues with Taurus, mainly QC. With that, I wouldn't trust my life to one.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Ive owned several taurus pistols in the millenium line as well as revolvers and never had a single issue. And I have put thousands of rounds out of all... I have several friends with taurus pistols with no problems as well. I dont believe the bad hype and really think alot of people make up issues in their posts just to have a comment. Now those people will repost about how they have a friend whose taurus... Whatever. I trust Taurus.

My opinion is I love the Sig, but have always had reservations about Taurus, even though I have owned two with no problems.

Distinguished Member
    I really like the SIG. I have a 220 Carry Elite Dark waiting for me at the local shop when my NY paperwork clears. I have no experience with Taurus so I can't comment.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

CMR
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkx4 View Post
    I have several friends with taurus pistols with no problems as well. I dont believe the bad hype and really think alot of people make up issues in their posts just to have a comment. Now those people will repost about how they have a friend whose taurus... Whatever.
    To each is own but I've seen Taurus issues first hand.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    To each is own but I've seen Taurus issues first hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by cz223 View Post
    I do not agree with all those who dislike the Taurus simply because it is a Taurus. I have two Taurus PT1911s and love them as much, or more than, my 7 other 1911s. With that said however, picking a pistol based on its color is not a good idea. I think that the Taurus TCP is a good pistol and, if I did not already own two LCPs, I would probably buy one. Both Kel-Tec and Ruger offer their guns in Rasberry and Ruger has an engraved version to boot. Have your wife wife take a look at these as well. As to your choice of the Sig 220, it is a great gun unless you are planning to carry concealed. That is a big gun. Once you get a 1911, I doubt that you will ever carry the Sig. Check out the Raspberry LCP here www.hoffgun.com click on the featured item link. They have them for $249. That is probably less than what you would pay for the TCP.
    You think its too big to carry???? I am getting the 220 carry version, I don't think it would be any worse than a glock or xd or 1911.

Distinguished Member
    The 220 carry isn't any bigger than a 228/229 and has a thinner grip so should be fine. I plan on carrying mine.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I think you and your wife did just fine. The Sig is sweet. Nothing wrong with a pink gun. Just imagine a BG in prison having to fess up he was shot with a pink gun. As with any carry gun, clean it properly and as often as the manual says, use only ammo as indicated in the manual, find an ammo it feeds well, and put enough through it to be confident in it. If you do all of that and all is well, then you're fine. I've had a Tuarus PT709 for about 2 years and it has 1500 flawless rounds through it of various makes and types. Not a single issue at all. It's a thin, light, and accurate gun and one of the funnest for me to shoot. My expectations have been exceeded. It is my only experience with Taurus, so its all I have to go on.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Taurus long has been a "hit-or-miss" gamble. However, in the research I've done in the past few weeks, I'm discovering that Taurus has come a long way from the poor quality days. Even the CEO Luis Estima admits that. Today, you can be assured that Taurus and/or Rossi makes quality products. I wouldn't spend my little money if I didn't feel it was a good investment.

In the rare event you do get a lemon, send it back. They'll fix it or replace it.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I have two Taurus revolvers and haven't had any trouble out of them.I believe every brand has some problems fr0m time to time. get what you like and then do a break in on it an make sure it is reliable.
    Myself if I was going to go with a .380 I'd get a LCP as I love mine. 100% reliable from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Taurus long has been a "hit-or-miss" gamble. However, in the research I've done in the past few weeks, I'm discovering that Taurus has come a long way from the poor quality days. Even the CEO Luis Estima admits that. Today, you can be assured that Taurus and/or Rossi makes quality products. I wouldn't spend my little money if I didn't feel it was a good investment.

In the rare event you do get a lemon, send it back. They'll fix it or replace it.

With all respect, I'd suggest you do some more research.

Google "Taurus quality" and read the results.

In this thread alone, 6 posters have had a positive experience with a Taurus product and 8 posters have not. Which translates to 47% positive and 57% negative opinions of Taurus guns. That's too much down side.

If this thread was about HK sidearms (for example) the positive comments would probably be at least 95%.

I'm not trying to be ugly or hurt anyone's feelings; I know some folks have had a decent experience with their Taurus product, and I'm happy for them.

However, if you're going to trust your life or the lives of your loved ones to a self defense pistol, why take a chance on a hit-or-miss pistol? There are many better choices available and they are worth the extra money IMO.

Besides, I've had friends who've sent new pistols back to Taurus for repair, waited for months, and then received a still dysfunctional pistol back. Taurus CS is a nightmare.

Google that, too, and read the results.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I'd feel better with the Pink Kahr or pink Ruger..... but if you are getting the Taurus, make sure you find out if it's reliable or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    [/B]
    With all respect, I'd suggest you do some more research.
    Google "Taurus quality" and read the results.
    In this thread alone, 6 posters have had a positive experience with a Taurus product and 8 posters have not. Which translates to 47% positive and 57% negative opinions of Taurus guns. That's too much down side.
    If this thread was about HK sidearms (for example) the positive comments would probably be at least 95%.
    I'm not trying to be ugly or hurt anyone's feelings; I know some folks have had a decent experience with their Taurus product, and I'm happy for them.
    However, if you're going to trust your life or the lives of your loved ones to a self defense pistol, why take a chance on a hit-or-miss pistol? There are many better choices available and they are worth the extra money IMO.
    Besides, I've had friends who've sent new pistols back to Taurus for repair, waited for months, and then received a still dysfunctional pistol back. Taurus CS is a nightmare.
    Google that, too, and read the results.
    This poll is a bit old, but my guess is that numbers would still come up about the same. Far different than what you get when you "Google".

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.&highlight=
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links