New Gun 44 Magnum - Page 3

New Gun 44 Magnum

This is a discussion on New Gun 44 Magnum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took the newly acquired 44 Magnum out for the innaugural spin today, using old bowling pins as targets. From 20 yards, I was 6 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Gun 44 Magnum

I took the newly acquired 44 Magnum out for the innaugural spin today, using old bowling pins as targets. From 20 yards, I was 6 for 6 hits with my first cylinder. Much to my surprise, it shot rather softly and was dead nuts accurate. Man, that thing makes a boom. On about my 5th cylinder, the shell ejector assembly went flying through the air. The screw that holds it on came out and I lost it. The rest of the assembly was all together, so I'm taking it tomorrow to a gunsmith to fit another screw and see if he can make sure it doesn't come out again. Bummer, but man this gun shoots GREAT!!!!

I spent a lot of time with my SP101 .357 and my S&W 442 today as well. 20 yards and tearing the bowling pins up with them. I had replaced the hammer spring in my SP101 with a Wolff 10 pound spring and I had no issues at all. I put about 100 through it. I put about 50 through my 442 (replaced hammer and trigger return springs in it with a Wolff shooters pack) and its just awesome. No issues and smooth as silk. That gun feels like an extension of my arm. Dead on accurate from 20 yards hitting a 5" steel spinner plate with regularity.

My RIA 1911, today, I could not hit the side of a barn with it. I have no clue as to why. From 10 yards I could wear out a bowling pin with it but any further away than that and nothing. My Bersa Thunder 9 uc took me a magazine to warm up with and then I was hitting with it regularly.

Oddly enough, the revolvers were dean on, even the one I'd never shot before. The semis, a mixed bag. Go figure. I can't wait to get my 44 fixed...I took to it like a fish takes to water.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I like it

A single action revolver brings out the kid in us

That is, if ya played cowboys and indians like I did
    Ain't that the truth...
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Nice gun, lot's of fun!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Very nice find. I love 44 mags and single actions. You can't go wrong with them, and if you hand load the possibilities are endless.
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

Nice score...looks like the one that used to be called Hawes-Sauer....they are finely made german SAA copies. I had one in .357. You done good!

I ran into a locksmith buddy of mine today and he used to be a gunsmith. He's a bug gunhead and we talk guns everytime I see him. He does a lot of stuff for us where I work, so I see him at least once a week if not more. I told him what happened to the ejection assembly screw and I had it in my truck. He took a look at it and said he's got the proper screws and tools. He said it looks like a screw was broken off in the hole at some point and he can drill it out, re-tap it, and put a proper gun screw back in it no problem. He was familiar with the gun, history, etc. and he said this one is in great shape and had all of the most desirable options. The German made model, 44 chambering, nickel finish, gold lettering, stag grips, and in very good condition. He said it is easily a $500 - $600 gun if not more. I love it regardless of what it is actually worth and it's an awesome shooter. I'm just glad he can fix it right for me and he said I don't owe him a cent for it. He's just a really cool dude. I can't wait to get it back and shoot it some more!!!! I may see more big wheel guns in my future.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Good evening, guys,

Looks like we have a number of .44 Mag enthusiasts here, so I thought I'd drop in with a question:

Anyone have any experience hunting with Hornady LeveRevolution in a long-barreled revolver? I've been hunting wild hogs for a while with my .30-30, but I have an itch to go after one with my ol' 8" Dan Wesson .44 Mag. The LeveRevolution in .30-30 is awesome! I've seen some "opinions" that the LeveRevolution ammo might not perform so well out of a handgun barrel, but I'm interested in any real-life experience.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Regards,
    Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links