Ode to the LCP

This is a discussion on Ode to the LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Philly Boy Still thinking of selling mine: it's too " snappy" to enjoy at the range. I KNOW--- it's not a range ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ode to the LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    Still thinking of selling mine: it's too " snappy" to enjoy at the range. I KNOW--- it's not a range gun, but after one mag. I've had enough with it. Think I'll take a look at the LC9 IF I can find one. What say you?!
    ONE MAG and you've had enough?! Seriously? I ran through a low light class with mine, no issues. I've shot upwards of 300 round in a single session.

Do you use the finger extension mag base plate? It helps you get a firm grip, and keeps the pistol from jumping around too much. Helps keep you from getting beat up too much.

The LC9 will not take the place of the LCP - it is just too big to be a true "go in any pocket" gun.

I find it hilarious how so many think the .380 is too weak for defense, but then complain about how the micro .380s beat them up (just a general comment - not directed at you).

Keep the LCP...man up and shoot it like you mean it! (j/k)
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Still thinking of selling mine: it's too " snappy" to enjoy at the range. I KNOW--- it's not a range gun, but after one mag. I've had enough with it. Think I'll take a look at the LC9 IF I can find one. What say you?!
    I think you're looking at a zero sum game if you're going from an LCP to an LC9 to overcome 'snappy'. Although, I'd still go with the LC9 if you will carry it all the time. I'll take mild shooting discomfort in exchange for better self defense coverage every day of the week.

WHEC724: Are you saying the LCP is Better for self-defense than the LC9!?
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    WHEC724: Are you saying the LCP is Better for self-defense than the LC9!?
    No, I'm saying that if you'll carry the LC9 as often as I do the LCP, get the LC9. My point is that it will be just as snappy, if not more so.

The LC9 is too big for me to pocket carry.
    los likes this.

I have both the LCP and LC9.Neither bother me to shoot as i'm not recoil sensitive.The LCP is more" snappy" though.I pocket carry the LC9 daily.

I do carry the LCP daily and have many rounds through it at the range, but after about four mags worth of shots--- after I've put several boxes through my M&PC 9mm, I'm ready to quit. It doesn't " kill" me, but I was hoping it would at least be slightly enjoyable to shoot: it ain't! I have shot other .380's , but they are too big for pocket carry, soooooo I'm thinking about alternatives; it will either be forget the pocket route and get something that will still be easy to conceal or stick with the pocket routine and " suck it up!" How's that sports fans?! Or should I say, " Gun fans!" Good to hear all the respones. Good shooting to y'all.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I do carry the LCP daily and have many rounds through it at the range, but after about four mags worth of shots--- after I've put several boxes through my M&PC 9mm, I'm ready to quit. It doesn't " kill" me, but I was hoping it would at least be slightly enjoyable to shoot: it ain't! I have shot other .380's , but they are too big for pocket carry, soooooo I'm thinking about alternatives; it will either be forget the pocket route and get something that will still be easy to conceal or stick with the pocket routine and " suck it up!" How's that sports fans?! Or should I say, " Gun fans!" Good to hear all the respones. Good shooting to y'all.
    The LCP is a "carry a lot, shoot a little" type of gun. It's strongest point is it's concealability.

I have a Glock 19, Glock 26, LC9 and an LCP (and an LCR). Neither the LC9 or the G26 will fit in my pockets, not even close other than cargo pants. The 26 is hands down the better gun to shoot of the three - I can and have gone through a couple of hundred rounds at a range session and would have been happy to do more. The LC9 and LCP are, for me, equally not fun to shoot, but they are both easier to hide than the 26. So I carry the 26 as my first choice. Second choice is the LC9. Third choice is the LCP. Since I got the 26 I seldom carry the 19.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

FITCH: Enjoyed your thoughts: they made good sense to me. Also like your quote at the bottom of your thread. Good shooting & BE SAFE!

P.S. to FITCH: Does Glock make a pocket pistol or is the 26 the closest you can get to one in a Glock?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    P.S. to FITCH: Does Glock make a pocket pistol or is the 26 the closest you can get to one in a Glock?
    Thanks.

The Glock 26 is one of several guns in different calibers Glock makes as sub compact pistols. That's as small and easy to conceal as Glock gets. The Glock 26 (and it's same sized siblings) are wonderful combat pistols, but they aren't easy for me to conceal in the summer, and there are times I'd have to go unarmed if I didn't have the LCP. I may trade the LC9 in on a CM9 - I wouldn't shoot it any worse, I don't think it would sting any worse to shoot, and it's smaller than the LC9.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I just might have to check out the CM9--- don't know much about it.

Well, heading to Tactical Firearms today at lunch to check out the LCP. I am sure it will follow me home. I guess we will see!

AND.............. it followed me home today at lunch!

Now to find some bullets, shoot the heck out of it, find a good pocket holster...... then start CC downtown Houston and in the office.

Not much like the feeling of bringing a new gun home!
    BubbaDX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    AND.............. it followed me home today at lunch!

Now to find some bullets, shoot the heck out of it, find a good pocket holster...... then start CC downtown Houston and in the office.

Not much like the feeling of bringing a new gun home!
    congrats on the new lcp,try a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster they work great..i've run WWB,Blazer Brass,Magtech,Winchester pdx1 all functioned 100%...enjoy

Just got back from the local outdoor range near me and that was FUN!

Shot 100 Winchester 95 gr FMJ "target/range" ammo and 50 of the Hornady Critical Defence.* *Took all three mags with me to make sure they all worked fine.* *Did alternates of the bullets in the mags, mixed and matched and all 150 went off without a hitch.

Kickback was much less than I was expecting.* *I used the extended pinkie plates on the mags and used my off (left hand) wrapped OVER the trigger guard and shooting hand (saw this on Guns and Ammo TV show and a S&W rep suggesting shooting the small 380s this way) and it never bit nor jumped that much.* *Not at all a pain to shoot.

As far as accuracy, I will never be confused with Wild Bill Hickcock, but all the shots went in the Red area (e.g. Center of Mass) from 7 yards.* *I did not try from the 15 yards and I cannot see myself actually shooting the LCP from that far away and I wanted to do most my practice from "up close and personal".* *The sights are very low profile, but I had no issue picking them up.

The magazines were easy to load the 6th bullet without much force at all.

All in all, a fun time at the range and once my hoster arrives, I will feel confident using it for its intended purpose (deep conceal while carrying at work and walking around downtown Houston).

I am really pleased with the purchase.

Now, on to cleaning and oiling!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links