New slim carry.

This is a discussion on New slim carry. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by claybreaker0 As far as the back strap safety goes....no one has mentioned that the PPS magazine has 2 polymer "spikes" that fit ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New slim carry.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    As far as the back strap safety goes....no one has mentioned that the PPS magazine has 2 polymer "spikes" that fit behind the back strap lever making it impossible for the back strap to come off while the magazine is inserted.....just saying.
    From what I've seen people talk about online, that is not the main area of confusion about the PPS backstrap safety.

If one reads the PPS manual, it makes it appear that one MUST take off the backstrap and thus make the gun safe, before dissassembling the gun to clean it. However, that is NOT at all the case!

All doing that does is allow one to disassemble the gun without having to pull the trigger. The truth is that one does not have to go to all that extra work in order to disassemble a PPS. It can be taken apart very quickly in just a couple of seconds using the exact same steps that one uses in taking apart a Glock.

However, that does require that a person make sure that the chamber is empty. The backstrap safety take down steps in the PPS manual are basically idiot proof, and will prevent an accidental discharge caused by negligence in leaving a round in the chamber.

So if one feels that they are incompetent, and unable to check if the gun has a round in the chamber, then do all that extra work. Otherwise, do what I do, first making sure the chamber is empty, and then break the gun down in just a couple of seconds instead.

Once you have pulled the trigger, the twin take down levers on the PPS are actually much easier to operate than the ones on a Glock. So the gun is actually FASTER to breakdown for cleaning than a Glock is.

This is the main misconception that I've seen about the backstrap safety feature on the PPS.

I've got a Limbsaver Pro Handgun Grip installed on both of my PPS pistols. The backstrap basically never comes off either of my guns. And that is because there is really no need to ever take it off. The instructions in the manual are misleading, and no doubt put in there by some lawyers trying to protect Walther as much as possible from liability with accidentally shootings happening during cleaning.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Congrats! I'd consider myself a Keltec fan. They were pocket polymer .380 before it was "cool", same with the PF9 and P11, they've been on the market for quite some time, and now all the sudden these other companies copy them and treat it as though its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I Definitely meant no disparaging to the PPS as it is a fabulous weapon. The back-strap was only a problem in my head and never in real life. Like pictured above I had a Hogue grip on it that never came off, so it was truly just mental.

What I could not overcome was the mag release. Again, that has nothing to do with Walther, and everything to do with me. Breaking in my PPS, I had 6 FTF's in the first 50 rounds, and 0 in the subsequent 300+. If this Kel Tek can do the same, it's all good.
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. -C. S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Very nice gun, but I prefer the Walther PPS.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    This gun is a sweet little CC piece. It cracks me up with all the Ruger fanboys talking about waiting until the LC9 comes out. The LC9 is a blatant rip off of the Kel-Tec PF9.
    No more than the LCP was a carbon copy of the P3A-T. But it wasn't, was it? Looked the same, but was smoother, sweeter, nicer all around. I imagine that the LC9 will be equally refined.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    No more than the LCP was a carbon copy of the P3A-T. But it wasn't, was it? Looked the same, but was smoother, sweeter, nicer all around. I imagine that the LC9 will be equally refined.
    Not knocking your LCP, I was just pointing out the obvious that it's a rip off of Kel-Tec's design. My point is everyone is acting like it's something new.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Great looking little pistol, Congrats.

hard crome and balck are awsome two tone!!!!!

VIP Member
    Wow. I mean, I like my PF9 and all, but I've never seen a purdy one before! Very nice.

The chrome contrast really makes it look nice.

Review up

Full review up HERE.

Admins, feel free to lock this thread if you want.
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. -C. S. Lewis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links