sp 101 springs?

This is a discussion on sp 101 springs? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; how many springs are in the revolver? is it 1 or 2? i want to make my triger pull lighter and need to know what ...

Thread: sp 101 springs?

sp 101 springs?

how many springs are in the revolver? is it 1 or 2? i want to make my triger pull lighter and need to know what spring i need to change. i am going to be getting a 357 3" in march. i want to keep the primer strikes hard. are they different springs. i know there is one in the grip area but what about in the triger area? i will be ordering springs from wolf soon.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    how many springs are in the revolver? is it 1 or 2? i want to make my triger pull lighter and need to know what spring i need to change. i am going to be getting a 357 3" in march. i want to keep the primer strikes hard. are they different springs. i know there is one in the grip area but what about in the triger area? i will be ordering springs from wolf soon.
    There are 2 springs. A main (hammer) spring that is in the grip area of the gun on a shaft and a trigger return spring in the trigger assembly. The SP101 has a fairly light trigger return spring already (unlike the small S&Ws), so replacing the main spring is all you need to do to lighten the DA trigger pull. Wolff Springs has them. I went down 2 pounds from the factory spring in my SP101 and it feels great. It's super easy to do...youtube videos can walk you through it. Takes about 5 minutes.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I did this just yesterday my self. It is pretty simple and did greatly improve the double action pull. I'll admit it took me about ten minutes. Much more simple than the same operation on my sig p6. That was a bear.

thanks for the advise. so what lb. is the main spring from the factory? and what would be a good lb. to drop down to to make the triger pull nice and easy.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    thanks for the advise. so what lb. is the main spring from the factory? and what would be a good lb. to drop down to to make the triger pull nice and easy.
    My wife's was 14lb and I changed it to 12lb. I think she really may be in need of a 10lb though.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I got a Wolf kit, the middle spring caused misfires, the heaviest of the 3 works fine.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

My SP101's trigger is 8.5# DA, 4.5-5# SA. Very reliable, fires every time. That stock trigger is just too heavy. Polish the internals up, change the springs, and keep it properly lubed.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    There are 2 springs. A main (hammer) spring that is in the grip area of the gun on a shaft and a trigger return spring in the trigger assembly. The SP101 has a fairly light trigger return spring already (unlike the small S&Ws), so replacing the main spring is all you need to do to lighten the DA trigger pull. Wolff Springs has them. I went down 2 pounds from the factory spring in my SP101 and it feels great. It's super easy to do...youtube videos can walk you through it. Takes about 5 minutes.
    I wasn't aware of these. Thanks for the info. I just ordered a set.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I'm fairly certain I put the heavier of the 3 springs in the set in mine. I can't remember, but I kept the spring set with the original spring in it and I marked which one I replaced it with and put it in the box with the gun. I've been carrying my 1911 a lot lately, but next time I'm in the safe I'll look. Polish up the contact points while you're in there and it will help too. It's so easy to do, I'd start with the heaviest and see how it feels and go from there.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    The Wolff Springs Shooters pack comes with hammer springs at 9, 10 and 12lbs. Factory spring is 14lbs. The pack also includes an 8lb. trigger return spring. Factory is 10lbs. I used the 12 lb. hammer spring and left the factory trigger return spring in the gun.

I also used an IBOK guide I got at the Ruger forum site. It's written by a retired gunsmith. He gives great instructions on what to polish and what to leave alone. It took me about an hour to smooth out the trigger. The gun runs great, with no problems...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I was getting light primer strikes with the 10 lb. Once i moved up to the 11 lb. it has been flawless:

http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/...3/mID52/dID234

I went with the 8lb trigger and 12lb hammer plus smoothed out all surfaces. It's really a snap if you have a Dremel, a felt wheel, and some polish for smoothing out the surfaces.

How does the 10# mainspring stack up against the 12# mainspring? I just ordered the set for my new SP101, but I want to avoid light primer strikes, any way to test it without actually going to the range to fire?
    I was thinking maybe something like sculpey could be applied to an empty shell's entire back side and then pulling the trigger on it to see what the strike is like...would that work?

I just know that the stock 14# mainspring is far too heavy for me, and ,in fact, today one of my friends who is a girl could not pull the trigger to fire it so I really would like that smoothed out without sacrificing reliability.

Thanks!

I got the Wolff Spring set for the wife's SP101 and tried the 9# mainspring first ~ left the trigger spring alone. That was the best thing I could have done! I figured if misfires, I could try the 10#, then the 12#.

No misfires or any other troubles at all! You can see the primer strikes are somewhat lighter, but no problems.

Before, she would basically shoot SA only. Although the DA was smooth, she didn't like the DA pull at all. Now she loves the handling of the weapon and shoots DA all the time. She's better than me with it.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

Links