Kimber solo - range report and grips

This is a discussion on Kimber solo - range report and grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glad the gun is working out for you! The grips really do dress it up! It will be very interesting to see how this one ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kimber solo - range report and grips

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Glad the gun is working out for you! The grips really do dress it up! It will be very interesting to see how this one performs across the board.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

2. Remove Ads

The grips make a world of difference....very nice work.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Beautiful Grip Job

I'm really glad you made that video and posted a range report. I really like the looks and design of that pistol. However the only report i could find was the one with the 96% failure rate. I am from New York and can't find any store that has it. You really got me excited again on shooting the solo. It will not be around here for 4-6 weeks. Can you keep us informed on your future range results? You did a really nice job with the grips. Good luck with the new beauty.

Sniper,

Thank you for that report, I am a big Kimber fan and I have one on order too. I can't wait until the factory starts shipping,
    Just curious, was yours a demo model touched and fooled with by zillions of interested buyers like the 96% failure guy that posted on the SIG forum or was it a true NIB?

Thanks

J.W.

P.S. NICE GRIPS
    NRA Life
    SASS 96744

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

Sweet looking pistol. Love the grips.

I put too much effort into getting my PM9 running right to drop it now though.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

I like the grips.. but agree that they would look better on the all stainless version. Great craftsmanship on them though! Thanks for the range report on the solo.. I am curious how they run for people over the next few months. Keep us posted?

Quote Originally Posted by Josey Wales View Post
    Sniper,

Thank you for that report, I am a big Kimber fan and I have one on order too. I can't wait until the factory starts shipping,
    Just curious, was yours a demo model touched and fooled with by zillions of interested buyers like the 96% failure guy that posted on the SIG forum or was it a true NIB?

Thanks

J.W.

P.S. NICE GRIPS
    It was one of the ones that kimber sent out early. has a paper in the box signed by some dude at kimber instructing the store to not sell it for x amount of time.

Very good review. Folks on the Sig Forum have blasted the Solo. I believe this pistol will become very popular, given time for Kimber to shakeout the bugs on some early releases. For fans of 1911's and SA pistols this could be a real nice choice.
    Your grips look great! They dress up the pistol nicely.

They had one in a LGS that I got to handle last week. Can they be sold now...I was told not for another 6 months?

Distinguished Member
    Man, talk about on the ball...

I just heard about this little pistola this morning, and jumped over here to see if anyone had any info on it. And what post is at the top of the page? lol

Great review! Really reconsidering my choices for a BUG.

los
    Both the Solo and P290 have manufacture dimensions of Length:5.5" and Height: 3.9", yet when I render the images the Solo comes out 0.24" longer. Very Interesting......

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member
    ...but the Solo is miles ahead in looks.

OP - Can you chamber a JHP round with the Solo using either the slide release or the pull-and-release ("slingshot") method? I ask because I had 2 different PM9s, and neither would reliably load JHPs unless you used the slide release.

Also, have you tried a tap-rack drill? Can you easily eject the chambered round and get the next JHP to load properly, even with a full mag? Again, this was something my PM9s refused to do without getting a nose-down jam.

Just curious, really. I will pass on the Solo as I don't like thumb safeties - but I am curious if some of the finicky behavior experienced with the PM9 is unique to their design, or common with the new crop of small 9mm pistols.

Thanks!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - Can you chamber a JHP round with the Solo using either the slide release or the pull-and-release ("slingshot") method?

Also, have you tried a tap-rack drill? Can you easily eject the chambered round and get the next JHP to load properly, even with a full mag?
    yes, and yes.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Excellent report. Great commentary, an excellent video, and lots of photos.

Rarely does one see a report this complete and through.

The more options that we have for concealed carry, the better off we all are.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links