Kimber solo - range report and grips - Page 4

Kimber solo - range report and grips

This is a discussion on Kimber solo - range report and grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I predict that the Solo will be a success in the concealed carry market. Here are some additional good videos about this new pistol. This ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I predict that the Solo will be a success in the concealed carry market. Here are some additional good videos about this new pistol.

This is a very good all-around report, including specs, shooting at a range, and also a good size comparison with a couple of other popular concealed carry pistols:

Here is a video showing one of the engineers from Kimber that created the Solo giving a demonstration of the pistol's features, along with how to disassemble and reassemble it. Gives a very good internal view of the gun:

That interview with the engineer is very informative - thanks for posting.

I took particular note of how the barrel was designed to "undulate" up and down as the slide reciprocates back and forth, in order to ensure reliable feeding in a pistol this small. While he didn't say it directly, this was a shot across Kahr's bow, and addresses (apparently) the issues Kahr has with nose-diving cartridges, and finicky chambering.

If the trigger pull on the Solo is indeed 7-8 lbs, I'm not sure why they need the thumb safety, unless the trigger pull is really short. If only they would make a version without that blasted thumb safety...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I like the idea of a thumb safety. Remember, this is borrowing from the 1911 style. I like a thumb safety for pocket carry. It makes me a little nervous fumbling for a pocket carry gun, especially for a single action gun. I am no expert, so I imagine that this gun goes single action when the slide is racked and a bullet is chambered. So, the only way to avoid this single action scenario in the pocket is to not have one in the chamber. So, I would want to have one in the chamber and a nice safety to make pocket carry feasible. I am used to 1911 action, including using the safety. All in all, I like it.

I like a pistol with a trigger and maybe a de-cocker. This pistol would always be cocked and single action at that. Wow. Yea, give me the safety.

I am wondering if the slide could be racked with the safety on, like the Sig P238. So, I could un-chamber a round nicely.

Also, I am wondering if the striker was partially hung up if the gun could possibly fire without the trigger being pulled?

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    That interview with the engineer is very informative - thanks for posting.

I took particular note of how the barrel was designed to "undulate" up and down as the slide reciprocates back and forth, in order to ensure reliable feeding in a pistol this small. While he didn't say it directly, this was a shot across Kahr's bow, and addresses (apparently) the issues Kahr has with nose-diving cartridges, and finicky chambering.
    Well, I think that this illustrates that this is definitely a well designed product. Kimber seems to have done their homework well with this handgun.

I think that this gun is going to develop a fan base quickly.

If the trigger pull on the Solo is indeed 7-8 lbs, I'm not sure why they need the thumb safety, unless the trigger pull is really short. If only they would make a version without that blasted thumb safety...
    Perhaps they added that feature to help them be able to sell the handgun in California, and pass their ridiculous safety requirements.

G32

possible holster option

I just ordered a holster for my Kimber Ultra Carry and noticed they had one for the Kimber Solo as well. Could be a good option. I haven't carried with one yet but a friend of mine has one and swears by it. The company is called SHTF Gear, the holsters seem similar to the crossbreed but I like that it has a bit smaller footprint and you can actually get a good grip on the gun.

SHTF Gear |

The holster I ordered is called the ACE-1.

Quote Originally Posted by G32 View Post
    I just ordered a holster for my Kimber Ultra Carry and noticed they had one for the Kimber Solo as well. Could be a good option. I haven't carried with one yet but a friend of mine has one and swears by it. The company is called SHTF Gear, the holsters seem similar to the crossbreed but I like that it has a bit smaller footprint and you can actually get a good grip on the gun.

SHTF Gear |

The holster I ordered is called the ACE-1.
    + 1 on the SHTF Gear (also love the name). Too bad they don't make one for my Glock.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

I was able to fondle one of these at my local gun shop. The trigger pull was a lot crisper than my CWP. I like it, but for the money and the capacity (a whole 1 extra round), I will stick with my Kahr for a while.
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

G32
    To bad they don't have one for your Glock. I thought he had all glocks, but I went back to check and it doesn't look like there is one for any of the double stack glock 45's. I think I'll be ordering one for my Glock 32 in the coming weeks, I haven't been carrying it recently because of its width (1911 isn't a whole lot thinner, but I can sure feel the difference) , but having worn the ACE-1 for my Kimber UC the past 2 days I think it might work for me with a glock as well.

I finally went and held the solo, I like the way it feels better than any single stack 9mm i've held before, also the gun just seems like everything is proportional to me. I compared it with the Ruger LC( and the kimber felt better to me, by far. (Granted its almost double the price). The Kimber Solo is on my list.

Lucky for you guys. My local gun shops STILL don't have any, not eve a display model. The store that had a display model "had to send it back" a few weeks back. I've been calling back weekly (well ok, that's only 2 calls so far), but they still don't have any. They say "any time now," but Kimber won't give them any sort of concrete timeframe. That seems to be what all the FFLs are saying, including the online ones. I hope Kimber starts shipping very soon here. I have a feeling Kimber might want to time this with when a lot of people get their tax refunds - the Solo price is right in tax refund impulse buy territory for many, I'm sure.

Nice review in the the June/July Handguns and Guns & Ammo Magazines. Three Hundred rounds without and issue.

Let's see it.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

OP - Can you chamber a JHP round with the Solo using either the slide release or the pull-and-release ("slingshot") method? I ask because I had 2 different PM9s, and neither would reliably load JHPs unless you used the slide release.

Also, have you tried a tap-rack drill? Can you easily eject the chambered round and get the next JHP to load properly, even with a full mag? Again, this was something my PM9s refused to do without getting a nose-down jam.

Just curious, really. I will pass on the Solo as I don't like thumb safeties - but I am curious if some of the finicky behavior experienced with the PM9 is unique to their design, or common with the new crop of small 9mm pistols.

Thanks!
    Why the aversion to safeties? I read that alot. It locks the slide and previents the gun moving out of battery holstering and perhaps not being in battery when the gun is removed from the holster later for use. I think they are better than things like hammer drops but perhaps I am missing something here, I often do!
    Greg

Just personal preference, really. None of the handguns I own have a thumb safety, so I have not trained to "remember" to put the safety on "fire." Too much risk of forgetting the safety for me, since I am just not used to using them. I don't see a need for them, so I have no interest in "learning."

As far as keeping the pistol in battery when holstering - that is easily accomplished by keeping your thumb on the back of the slide. No safety needed, IMHO.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

May Issue of American Handgunner

Personally I don't pocket carry without a holster. A guy tried that here in Washington and made the news after shooting himself in the leg.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links