best 1911 - Page 2

best 1911

This is a discussion on best 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ksholder Why does he want it? Is this a show piece or a EDC, gotta fire every time piece? I have been ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: best 1911

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Why does he want it? Is this a show piece or a EDC, gotta fire every time piece? I have been pretty darned happy with my Springfield Loaded. Mid to low priced, but it fires every time and it hits what it is aimed at. I do like the McCormick mags I use with it. For a show piece, see the posts above.
    He is a very busy person... has only shot his browning over and under he bought a few years back about 5 times since then. It will be a safe queen, but he will want to shoot it a few times a year i am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I would recommend him to get a Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson or Les Baer if he wants to buy the most expensive 1911. Is he aware that a "top of the line" 1911 can go for as much as $6,000? If so, he must be loaded to say "money is not a problem".

I think he would be fine with a Kimber, S&W, Springfield Armory, STI International, Colt or Sig Sauer, since the most important thing is not how the pistol looks or how expensive it is, but rather that it goes bang every time he pulls the trigger. Nonetheless, in order to recommend him the best 1911 for his needs, it would be better to know what is the intended purpose of the gun (conceal carry, home defense, range gun or safe queen) since there are many factors to be considered.
    He is not going to get his CCW, but wants something truly nice... a keepsake persay... and no, money is no problem. I told him recently about the Colt 1911 that just fold for close to $100,000... i sincerely think if he had his permit allready, he may have bid. He is no snob though, very down to earth, humble, good to both patients and staff.... but when it comes to things he wants to buy, he never skimps. bunker

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    Which ever one you can afford and is reliable. RIA are great economy 1911's that are reliable and affordable.
    I have been looking at RIA for my first 1911... it is more in MY price range

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    He is not going to get his CCW, but wants something truly nice... a keepsake persay... and no, money is no problem. I told him recently about the Colt 1911 that just fold for close to $100,000... i sincerely think if he had his permit allready, he may have bid. He is no snob though, very down to earth, humble, good to both patients and staff.... but when it comes to things he wants to buy, he never skimps. bunker
    Check out the Volkmann Centennial then, it's a pretty nice keepsake and the perfect safe queen.

VIP Member
    Ed Brown/Wilson Combat
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Y'all are talkin' second string junk. This here's the one and only for him.

Seriously, as much as I like the brands mentioned so far (I'm a huge Dan Wesson dweeb) if he wants "The Best" he should be looking at something completely bespoke. Now, if he's new to the 1911 platform - and has lots of discretionary income - he should get a few different production guns first Baer, Brown, DW etc are all good choices, to determine exactly what features and configuration he likes!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    Dear Lord that's awesome!

Wilson Combat! Own two of them, had Ed Brown, had Les Baer. Wilson Combat's customer service is also superb!
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Check out the Volkmann Centennial then, it's a pretty nice keepsake and the perfect safe queen.
    Holy smokes $7500+ for a single pistol
    & to think my wife thought i was crazy for spending $1300 a piece on my Kimber's
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post

Seriously, as much as I like the brands mentioned so far (I'm a huge Dan Wesson dweeb) if he wants "The Best" he should be looking at something completely bespoke. Now, if he's new to the 1911 platform - and has lots of discretionary income - he should get a few different production guns first Baer, Brown, DW etc are all good choices, to determine exactly what features and configuration he likes!

Joe
    sorry, but i dont think you could pay me to take the conway twitty one... thats just not right man, not right. bunker

MMM... custom 1911's Heirloom Precision
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    He is a very busy person... has only shot his browning over and under he bought a few years back about 5 times since then. It will be a safe queen, but he will want to shoot it a few times a year i am sure.
    So you are saying that this gun will only be a safe queen, and not actually used for self-defense? Earlier you said that he was getting a permit. Is it just a permit to purchase, and not a concealed carry permit, that you are talking about?

What will this MD do if someone breaks into his house while he is at home?

Since you posted here in the Defensive Carry Guns Forum, and not in the General Firearms Forum here on this website, I assumed earlier that he wanted a combat pistol for self-defense. That is why I recommended that he also consider other guns besides the 1911.

But it now sounds like this 1911 is just going to be a collector's piece?? Is that what we are looking at?

Does he have other guns for self-defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Quite a gun, but I had to chuckle at the "no extra charge" part for a few extras the customer may choose. $7500...no extra charge?
    It's like selling a 'special' Ford 150 pickup for $175000 and saying that if the customer wants tinted windows, and extra chrome trim, heated seats, etc., there's no EXTRA charge.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    So you are saying that this gun will only be a safe queen, and not actually used for self-defense? Earlier you said that he was getting a permit. Is it just a permit to purchase, and not a concealed carry permit, that you are talking about?

What will this MD do if someone breaks into his house while he is at home?

Since you posted here in the Defensive Carry Guns Forum, and not in the General Firearms Forum here on this website, I assumed earlier that he wanted a combat pistol for self-defense. That is why I recommended that he also consider other guns besides the 1911.

But it now sounds like this 1911 is just going to be a collector's piece?? Is that what we are looking at?

Does he have other guns for self-defense?

Here in NYS, it is defferent from county to county. In our county, the first permit you get is for target shooting and hunting only, no CCW. If you want your CCW, you have to take $200 class, write a letter to the judge explaining why you want a CCW, and then wait to see if he approves it. Although it seems like a long process, at least you can do it. SOme counties dont allow CCW for any reason. He has no other guns for self defense other than his shotgun which resides in his gun safe at all times. He has children and does not feel safe with it out, for good reason. I did however tell him about those small biometric safes that can be installed in his closet so he could have a handgun ready quickly if needed. bunker

The doctor i work for is a great guy, and he is in the process of getting his pistol permit. He is now the fouth one at work after me who is getting one. Anyways, he likes the best of everything, and money is no problem. He is asking me what is the best 1911 money can buy??? I dont know much about them myself, i am a glock and taurus/ high point kinda guy, but i did mention Les Baer. Any suggestions for a person who will most likely shoot twice a year, and can afford anything? thanks, he is a great guy and i dont want to steer him wrong. Bunker
    A taser or pepper spray.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links