best 1911 - Page 5

best 1911

This is a discussion on best 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter I would say that the Ed Brown Classic Custom is right up there as far as being one of the finest ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: best 1911

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I would say that the Ed Brown Classic Custom is right up there as far as being one of the finest 1911s ever built.
    Check it out here: Ed Brown Products, 1911, parts

For daily carry though I'd probably opt for the Ed Brown Executive Carry
    with a set of custom grips by Sarge45

Credit - Ed Brown Products photo.
    Seriously, I would love this pistol. I would also love a Wilson Combat. Serious again. But, get real! $2500-$3000. My wife would file a restraining order if I dared buy one. And, yes, I would love one.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Nighthawk custom, Les Baer, STI, or Ed Brown are some of the first names that pop into my mind, I'm sure more will come...
    As mentioned above they're all great choices....Kimber Pro CDP (as pictured in my Avitar) Springer Operators are great also.. troubleis, there's LOTS of great 1911 guns out there........from cheapo.......to ultra expensive.
    First and formost, as I tell my Customers.......buy the one (or several) that fit your hands best....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    The doctor i work for is a great guy, and he is in the process of getting his pistol permit. He is now the fouth one at work after me who is getting one. Anyways, he likes the best of everything, and money is no problem. He is asking me what is the best 1911 money can buy??? I dont know much about them myself, i am a glock and taurus/ high point kinda guy, but i did mention Les Baer. Any suggestions for a person who will most likely shoot twice a year, and can afford anything? thanks, he is a great guy and i dont want to steer him wrong. Bunker
    For the best money can buy, I'd get Les Baer or a Wilson Combat. I've shot both, and I like the Baer only slightly better than the Wilson. Both are outta my price range, though. Funny thing is, neither one shot much better than my Springfield 1911-A1, RIA Tactical or Taurus.

If he just wants to spend a bunch of money; CT Brian. If he is looking for the best all around value; Les Baer.

Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    Buy a cheap 1911 and replace all the parts and get some trigger work done. It's usually cheaper and Ive heard a great way to go about getting an extremely reliable 1911...
    ^^^This^^^

I started with a Springer GI and ended up with (so far) a fantastic gun that has everything I want and nothing I don't. Especially if money's no object, then tell him to get a basic GI model, shoot it, and then begin planning on what to change, keep, etc...

Good luck!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    If he is new to guns I might suggest something simpler such as a Glock. And a nice 1911 such as a Nighthawk or Wilson would not necessarily be any better for him as he is new to guns. Keep in mind I am only going by what I saw in the first post. After awhile he could look to getting a nicer gun as he is not going to know the difference in the beginning.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    If he is new to guns I might suggest something simpler such as a Glock. And a nice 1911 such as a Nighthawk or Wilson would not necessarily be any better for him as he is new to guns. Keep in mind I am only going by what I saw in the first post. After awhile he could look to getting a nicer gun as he is not going to know the difference in the beginning.
    +1!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links