best 1911

best 1911

This is a discussion on best 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The doctor i work for is a great guy, and he is in the process of getting his pistol permit. He is now the fouth ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: best 1911

best 1911

The doctor i work for is a great guy, and he is in the process of getting his pistol permit. He is now the fouth one at work after me who is getting one. Anyways, he likes the best of everything, and money is no problem. He is asking me what is the best 1911 money can buy??? I dont know much about them myself, i am a glock and taurus/ high point kinda guy, but i did mention Les Baer. Any suggestions for a person who will most likely shoot twice a year, and can afford anything? thanks, he is a great guy and i dont want to steer him wrong. Bunker

Nighthawk custom, Les Baer, STI, or Ed Brown are some of the first names that pop into my mind, I'm sure more will come...
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Money is no problem? Let him buy them all.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Buy a cheap 1911 and replace all the parts and get some trigger work done. It's usually cheaper and Ive heard a great way to go about getting an extremely reliable 1911...

Besides those already mentioned there is also Volkmann Custom.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Taurus! haha just kidding a Remington! LOL no really just kidding. NightHawk, WilsonCombat, DanWesson if you want a truely elite one.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

mer
    You could ask your question here (down for maintence right now 26 Jan 211 about 6pm):

http://forums.1911forum.com/

tons of info, covers pretty much all the major makers. DW is a good option (I'll admit to being biased)

VIP Member
    Why does he want it? Is this a show piece or a EDC, gotta fire every time piece? I have been pretty darned happy with my Springfield Loaded. Mid to low priced, but it fires every time and it hits what it is aimed at. I do like the McCormick mags I use with it. For a show piece, see the posts above.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would recommend him to get a Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson or Les Baer if he wants to buy the most expensive 1911. Is he aware that a "top of the line" 1911 can go for as much as $6,000? If so, he must be loaded to say "money is not a problem".

I think he would be fine with a Kimber, S&W, Springfield Armory, STI International, Colt or Sig Sauer, since the most important thing is not how the pistol looks or how expensive it is, but rather that it goes bang every time he pulls the trigger. Nonetheless, in order to recommend him the best 1911 for his needs, it would be better to know what is the intended purpose of the gun (conceal carry, home defense, range gun or safe queen) since there are many factors to be considered.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I am not qualified to give advice on this. But if I could, and money was no problem, I really liked shooting the Nighthawk. Second choice would be a Kimber.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Can't speak on the Wilson Combat, Nighthawk or Les Baer. But as for the Dan Wesson I think he'd have a hard time beating it. Fits and finish is beautiful, scary accurate. I never thought I'd be using a $1600. gun as an EDC weapon, but I have complete confidence in it. Besides that, how do you put a price tag on your life!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    I would say that the Ed Brown Classic Custom is right up there as far as being one of the finest 1911s ever built.
    Check it out here: http://www.edbrown.com/classic.htm

For daily carry though I'd probably opt for the Ed Brown Executive Carry
    with a set of custom grips by Sarge45

Credit - Ed Brown Products photo.

Which ever one you can afford and is reliable. RIA are great economy 1911's that are reliable and affordable.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    The doctor i work for is a great guy, and he is in the process of getting his pistol permit. He is now the fouth one at work after me who is getting one. Anyways, he likes the best of everything, and money is no problem. He is asking me what is the best 1911 money can buy??? I dont know much about them myself, i am a glock and taurus/ high point kinda guy, but i did mention Les Baer. Any suggestions for a person who will most likely shoot twice a year, and can afford anything? thanks, he is a great guy and i dont want to steer him wrong. Bunker

If he wants a gun for concealed carry, tell him that there are more modern guns available than the 1911.

If he is stuck on carrying a 45 Auto, tell him that the best concealed carry .45 available is the HK 45C , which is HK's new compact model of their 45.

He can pick up one of these for $950. I would much rather have it in a gunfight, than any carry 1911. With it he will have 11 rounds of .45 to defend himself with, instead of only 9 with a 1911 or a Sig P220.

Tell him that it is the BMW of carry .45's

Another option would be a Sig P220 Carry Elite. However, it, like the 1911, is going to be a lot heavier than the the HK 45C. But it is an all metal gun like the 1911, if that is his preference. The lighter weight of the HK 45C at only 26 oz makes it easier to carry than these much heavier guns. This SIG would set him back about $1,050:

Personally, I'm a Colt guy. Why get something else when you can have the original? In the high quality mainstream price point you get very little MIM or cast parts and excellent customer service.

If money were no object I'd have several colts, however I'd have to take a strong look at a Wilson Combat CQB or Springfield Armory Professional.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links