Range Report: Sig P229 SAS 40 & Sig 357!

This is a discussion on Range Report: Sig P229 SAS 40 & Sig 357! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ExSoldier, How do you like my new sexy avatar? Don...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range Report: Sig P229 SAS 40 & Sig 357!

ExSoldier,

How do you like my new sexy avatar?

Don

2. Remove Ads

Question Is ENVY one of the seven DEADLY SINS?

Quote Originally Posted by DonGlock26
    ExSoldier, How do you like my new sexy avatar? Don

Oh man is that the P229? If you own one, I'm soooo jealous. I'm saving for a P229 SAS. The first will be the 40 but I'll get a sp barrel in 357 Sig and I was wondering if they made a 9mm conversion? If so do you have to get 9mm mags as well. I'm betting yes. I love the DAK trigger. As you can see from the start of this thread, rocnerd and LADY rocnerd and I had a great time on the range with his!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier

Oh man is that the P229? If you own one, I'm soooo jealous. I'm saving for a P229 SAS. The first will be the 40 but I'll get a sp barrel in 357 Sig and I was wondering if they made a 9mm conversion? If so do you have to get 9mm mags as well. I'm betting yes. I love the DAK trigger. As you can see from the start of this thread, rocnerd and LADY rocnerd and I had a great time on the range with his!

Yep, it's a P229 .357Sig DA/SA (no rail). I have one with both barrels. I prefer the shooting qualities of the .357.

You can get a 9mm barrel here:

http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=SSB

I don't know about the mags.

Don

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier

You can get a conversion barrel from Bar-Sto (maybe someone else makes one too) to allow you to shoot 9mm in the 40/357 P229. You do have to use 9mm mags. I've got one for my P229 and I love it. It's like having 3 guns in one. They're not cheap though. I paid $200 for mine from here

http://www.topgunsupply.com/BAR-STO-BARRELS-c-58.html
    Last edited by p8riot; July 23rd, 2006 at 04:02 PM.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Yep, it's a P229 .357Sig DA/SA (no rail). I have one with both barrels. I prefer the shooting qualities of the .357.

You can get a 9mm barrel here:

http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=SSB

I don't know about the mags.

Don
    Heh, heh. Beat me by two minutes. I need to learn to type faster.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot
    Heh, heh. Beat me by two minutes. I need to learn to type faster.

Hi, did you have to fit the barrel? I almost bought one, myself.

Hi, did you have to fit the barrel? I almost bought one, myself.
    It was really minor. It fit pretty well out of the box, but it was kinda tight in the slide specially near the muzzle, and the locking lugs needed a little polishing. Neither of which adversely affected it's operation, it just wasn't to my liking. One of my best friends is a SIG armorer with the local PD and he fixed it up for me in about 15 minutes (no charge).

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot
    It was really minor. It fit pretty well out of the box, but it was kinda tight in the slide specially near the muzzle, and the locking lugs needed a little polishing. Neither of which adversely affected it's operation, it just wasn't to my liking. One of my best friends is a SIG armorer with the local PD and he fixed it up for me in about 15 minutes (no charge).

Cool, I have a good gunsmith who will hook me up.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Looks like a great time had by all.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    Great report!

I love the smooth 6lb trigger and no double action to single action transition. SWEET!

Here's a picture of my SAS with Matt Del Fatti's ISP-3 holster and a Single Magazine/SureFire combo pouch.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

DAK or not....that is the question...

Ok, Im pretty convinced that Sig 229 is whats right for me, but what Im not sure about is DAK or not.... My first gun was a XD40, so I am use to consistant trigger pulls, but i feel that the DA/SA would be a good safty measure for a CCW gun (less chance of accedental discharge) does anyone have experience shooting both, and can you describe the pros and cons of both??

thanks
    -- Beware a man with many guns, he probably has an army, be more aware of a man with only one gun...he probably knows how to use it!

Question Did you read ALL of post #1?

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerNick
    I feel that the DA/SA would be a good safty measure for a CCW gun (less chance of accedental discharge) does anyone have experience shooting both, and can you describe the pros and cons of both??
    I have extensive experience now with BOTH actions from Sig. My constant carry is a P245 Sig in the TRADITIONAL DA/SA. Did you read my full report in this thread? Post #1? DAK or Double Action Kellerman actually gives you BOTH properties, IF you "stage" the trigger on the return stroke, but it's not needed ....only if you feel you might need to throw a "hammer" rather than a controlled pair for your first TWO shots.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I did read the whole thread, and Im still not sure i understand the whole mechanics of it. Why is there even a hammer on the DAK? Isnt it replicating the properties of an XD or a Glock (D/A Only)? Those are both hammerless... So, im still in the dark on the advantages of it? DAK allows even trigger pull for every shot at aprox. 6.5 lbs of pull where the SA/DA give 10.5 lbs then 4.5 lbs on following shots...but if you cock the hammer the before your first shot then you have 4.5 lbs of pull on every shot...(effectively a DAK but with even shorter trigger pull) right? maybe im making this all way more confusing than it really is...I am just a pharmacy student...this is complex stuff here!!
    Last edited by TriggerNick; July 27th, 2006 at 12:31 PM.
    -- Beware a man with many guns, he probably has an army, be more aware of a man with only one gun...he probably knows how to use it!

......., but i feel that the DA/SA would be a good safty measure for a CCW gun (less chance of accedental discharge) does anyone have experience shooting both, and can you describe the pros and cons of both??

thanks
    I carry a DA/SA P229 in 357SIG, but I want to get a SAS (which comes with the DAK trigger). I am happy with the DA/SA however, and the only drawback I can see is forgetting to decock the pistol after chambering a round (what I call, "condition bad"). It takes some mental discipline at first, then it becomes instinctive, but I always check, specially before reholstering.

Exclamation Glock & XD have a different mechanism

I did read the whole thread, and Im still not sure i understand the whole mechanics of it. Why is there even a hammer on the DAK? Isnt it replicating the properties of an XD or a Glock (D/A Only)? Those are both hammerless... So, im still in the dark on the advantages of it
    Actually it's not so complex. The XD and the Glock are not hammerless in the strict sense. They use a different firing mechanism called a STRIKER. The bad thing with them is that you cannot pull the trigger again if you get a light hit on a hard primer. You'll have to tap rack and BANG by yanking the slide to the rear to recock. With the Sig you get the option of just pulling the trigger over and allow the hammer to raise up and re-drop. It's almost as good as a revolver except it instantly allows you to try and fire again instead of wasting precious moments yanking the slide to the rear....something you may STILL have to do. With the DAK, if you have to repull the trigger on a failed primer, it will be a standard Sig pull of 10.5 pounds so as to let you know that it is a failure to fire and allowing a second hammer strike. If it fails a second time (split second to know) then you go to an immediate action drill.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; July 27th, 2006 at 08:28 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links