Just bought a new Kahr P9!!!!

This is a discussion on Just bought a new Kahr P9!!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I made the jump, and picked up my first Kahr. A brand new, Black P9 w/Standard Sights (will be installing Tritium XS Big Dots) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a new Kahr P9!!!!

Just bought a new Kahr P9!!!!

Well I made the jump, and picked up my first Kahr. A brand new, Black P9 w/Standard Sights (will be installing Tritium XS Big Dots) at Lou's Police Supply in Hialeah today. I got a great deal, and am really looking forward to heading to the range this weekend! I know that the typical break in period for Kahr's is 200-300 rounds. I've already broken it down, and given it a good cleaning and lube. Is there anything else I should do in preparation for my trip to the range, or anything I should look out for, or make sure I do while in the intitial break in period? Thanks in advance for any pointers! I'll post some pics tomorrow.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Read the manual, clean the gun, load the gun, shoot the gun.
    The sights are a good addition. They are not easy to install though. Are you having it done or DIY?
    Some people find the addition of a rubber grip sleeve helps, ... I do.

Gratuitous photo of a P9

Congratulations on the new pistol. Shoot it and give us a range report.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

I'm going to have a local shop do the sight install

I love the P9....best feeling CCW handgun I have ever put in my hands. Never shot one though. I am sure it is typical Kahr quality.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by dbramhall View Post
    Well I made the jump, and picked up my first Kahr. A brand new, Black P9 w/Standard Sights (will be installing Tritium XS Big Dots) at Lou's Police Supply in Hialeah today. I got a great deal, and am really looking forward to heading to the range this weekend! I know that the typical break in period for Kahr's is 200-300 rounds. I've already broken it down, and given it a good cleaning and lube. Is there anything else I should do in preparation for my trip to the range, or anything I should look out for, or make sure I do while in the intitial break in period? Thanks in advance for any pointers! I'll post some pics tomorrow.
    I was just there the other day staring at a PM9 they had in the used guns case! Congrats on the pick up!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    I was just there the other day staring at a PM9 they had in the used guns case! Congrats on the pick up!
    I was looking at that one too, but the P9 feels better in my hands. I'm not looking to pocket carry, and really just wanted something close to/slightly smaller than a G26 to carry when I don't feel like carrying my G19 (mostly in summer when hot, and I'm trying to wear as little extra as possible)
    I have been on the fence for weeks about whether to stay w/Glocks and get a G26, or if I should make the jump and get a Kahr. Well....I chose to jump.

I carry a P9 daily. I think you have made a great choice. The P9 is light and slim, easy to carry. With me after 500 rounds all has been well. Congratulations.

Just make sure you use the slide release to chamber the first round. If you don't rack (slingshot) the first round forcefully and correctly, you may get a misfeed. Other than that, a good cleaning and lubrication should work great. I wanted to buy a P9, but they didn't have any in stock near me at the time, so I ended up with the PM9.

Quote Originally Posted by dbramhall View Post
    I was looking at that one too, but the P9 feels better in my hands. I'm not looking to pocket carry, and really just wanted something close to/slightly smaller than a G26 to carry when I don't feel like carrying my G19 (mostly in summer when hot, and I'm trying to wear as little extra as possible)
    I have been on the fence for weeks about whether to stay w/Glocks and get a G26, or if I should make the jump and get a Kahr. Well....I chose to jump.
    I was in the same boat when I bought my Kel Tec PF9. I was looking for pocket carry though and my Glock 26 was just a little too thick. I wish they had that PM9 for that price then, I would have jumped too! LOL
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

GM
    Congrats!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    congratulations. I'm confident you'll love it. I personally think it's one of the best SD carry guns on the market. I have 4 Kahrs, a K9, P9, MK9 and a P380. My P9 has the best trigger, sights, and accuracy of any gun in my collection with the only exception being a 1911's trigger.

mine is really very accurate. The one addition I strongly encourage is something on the grip. I found the checkering to be too aggressive at the range. There are three options and i've tried them all....

1. Buy a Hogue handle Jr. Yes, the jr, it's tight but fits. It adds some swell in the grip and feels good but wasn't quite right for me. it won't move around because it grips the checkering
    2. There's a product called AGrips. Feels like a felt/foam grip that is like a decal. You peel off the paper and stick it on. It holds up very very well. After a year of carry and shooting, mine was getting worn looking but you can "revive" it with a brushing from a stiff bristle brush. It doesn't look the best but it provides the best "feeling" grip of anything I've ever held. Makes shooting and controlling the gun the best.
    3. Buy a bicycle tube at Walmart. cut a piece to fit the grip. Trick is to get the right dia. tube. Get it too small for those really skinny bike wheels and it's too tight. Get a big ol mountain bike tube and it's too big. Hit mine right the first time. Some Bicycle tupes feel slick, some are more rubbery. It makes a difference. Once you figure it out it's a GREAT feel, looks better than the AGrips decal and I liked it a lot more than the hogue handel Jr.

I recommend the bike tube because it's cheaper and feels the best and is easy to put a new one on whenever.

I really think something on the grip helps soak up recoil, helps control the gun etc. It really does make a big difference.

For an IWB holster, I highly recommend a COMIII IWB from HBE Leatherworks. they're $109.00 but they're the best IWB I've tried comparing quality with cost and lead time.

Enjoy the gun.

One more thing. I scared myself silly with mine one time when I used a cleaning product that WASN'T a lubricant. it stripped all the oil off the black DLC coated slide. When it dried it looked like a whitish gray. Made me sick as I thought I'd ruined the finish. But a forum member suggested I hit it with CLP and lube it up again and when I did, it looked brand new. Wierd.

Enjoy your Kahr P9 but if you ever find it a bit snappy or the muzzle flip a bit much, you might want to add a K9 to your collection. It's WAY better to shoot, in part, becasue of the extra weight but when it comes to carrying all day long, you can't beat the P9.

Gideon

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I would recommend that you have your slide sent to XS to have them install the sights...awesome purchase!!! I have a P9 also and LOVE it...ultimate carry firearm.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Happy P9er here, too.

Before hitting the range, consider this prep job:
    http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    congratulations. I'm confident you'll love it. I personally think it's one of the best SD carry guns on the market. I have 4 Kahrs, a K9, P9, MK9 and a P380. My P9 has the best trigger, sights, and accuracy of any gun in my collection with the only exception being a 1911's trigger.

mine is really very accurate. The one addition I strongly encourage is something on the grip. I found the checkering to be too aggressive at the range. There are three options and i've tried them all....

1. Buy a Hogue handle Jr. Yes, the jr, it's tight but fits. It adds some swell in the grip and feels good but wasn't quite right for me. it won't move around because it grips the checkering
    2. There's a product called AGrips. Feels like a felt/foam grip that is like a decal. You peel off the paper and stick it on. It holds up very very well. After a year of carry and shooting, mine was getting worn looking but you can "revive" it with a brushing from a stiff bristle brush. It doesn't look the best but it provides the best "feeling" grip of anything I've ever held. Makes shooting and controlling the gun the best.
    3. Buy a bicycle tube at Walmart. cut a piece to fit the grip. Trick is to get the right dia. tube. Get it too small for those really skinny bike wheels and it's too tight. Get a big ol mountain bike tube and it's too big. Hit mine right the first time. Some Bicycle tupes feel slick, some are more rubbery. It makes a difference. Once you figure it out it's a GREAT feel, looks better than the AGrips decal and I liked it a lot more than the hogue handel Jr.

I recommend the bike tube because it's cheaper and feels the best and is easy to put a new one on whenever.

I really think something on the grip helps soak up recoil, helps control the gun etc. It really does make a big difference.

For an IWB holster, I highly recommend a COMIII IWB from HBE Leatherworks. they're $109.00 but they're the best IWB I've tried comparing quality with cost and lead time.

Enjoy the gun.

One more thing. I scared myself silly with mine one time when I used a cleaning product that WASN'T a lubricant. it stripped all the oil off the black DLC coated slide. When it dried it looked like a whitish gray. Made me sick as I thought I'd ruined the finish. But a forum member suggested I hit it with CLP and lube it up again and when I did, it looked brand new. Wierd.

Enjoy your Kahr P9 but if you ever find it a bit snappy or the muzzle flip a bit much, you might want to add a K9 to your collection. It's WAY better to shoot, in part, becasue of the extra weight but when it comes to carrying all day long, you can't beat the P9.

Gideon

Nice post, thank you! I was only able to shoot a K9 before I bought my P9. Based on what I'd read, the recoil difference wasn't going to be large. Now having fired both, I disagree -- there is a pretty sizable difference in felt recoil between the two. I think that part of the increased sensation comes from the aggressive checkering on the P9 vs the rubber bumper grips on the K9 (in addition to the weight difference). Whatever the cause, the K9 feels absolutely lush by comparison. I wouldn't trade my P9 for a K9, though -- the weight savings is worth it for carry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links