1911 for a Newbie - Page 2

1911 for a Newbie

This is a discussion on 1911 for a Newbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would advise getting a near-stock M1911A1 such as the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, the Remington R1, or, on a shorter budget, the RIA guns. SA ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 for a Newbie

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I would advise getting a near-stock M1911A1 such as the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, the Remington R1, or, on a shorter budget, the RIA guns. SA and RIA have great customer service.

The big advantage to getting a near-stock gun as your first is that you figure out what features you want on your second one. The reason you don't get a stock GI gun is that some features you will probably want without even having to shoot one, such as better sights and a lowered and flared ejection port.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Will have to say I love my SA loaded models, my first was a stainless steel 5" government model, and the second is a champion light weight, which has become my EDC of late.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I too have a 5" loaded model and really like the gun. You can certainly buy a less expensive gun but not with the features that are built in.

Distinguished Member
    I'm leaning strongly toward the Springers but, as JD indicated, I want to do my homework (and sell some stuff!). I did look seriously at the Colts but, holy cow, they ain't cheap, even used!.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    I'm leaning strongly toward the Springers but, as JD indicated, I want to do my homework (and sell some stuff!). I did look seriously at the Colts but, holy cow, they ain't cheap, even used!.
    There is nothing wrong with an RIA, but as the others have mentioned they are just a few notches down in quality from the get go, but will serve you well. Springers are very fine pistols as well, but frankly I want my pistol to be made in the USA if possible. Just read my sig and you will know where my opinion stands. There is a reason why used Colts are still pretty expensive, it's a Colt. Just for the record, I have learned a few lessons from my journeys with 1911's and there are a few folks (like AZ Husker) on here that have forgotten more then I will ever know about pistol.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    There is nothing wrong with an RIA, but as the others have mentioned they are just a few notches down in quality from the get go, but will serve you well. Springers are very fine pistols as well, but frankly I want my pistol to be made in the USA if possible. Just read my sig and you will know where my opinion stands. There is a reason why used Colts are still pretty expensive, it's a Colt. Just for the record, I have learned a few lessons from my journeys with 1911's and there are a few folks (like AZ Husker) on here that have forgotten more then I will ever know about pistol.
    Yup and good input. Never thought about whether Springfield was from the US. Just assumed. Just last month my wife and I decided to try to buy US exclusively but that is a lot easier said than done!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

VIP Member
    Yup and good input. Never thought about whether Springfield was from the US. Just assumed. Just last month my wife and I decided to try to buy US exclusively but that is a lot easier said than done!
    aznav,

buying USA is not an easy choice to make and sometimes does not make sense, but I try to do it when ever possible. If things are pretty close in quality and the USA product is a touch more then I buy it. The lord has blessed me during these trying times for the US, and even though I have been blessed I am more cognizant of my buying decisions as I may save someones job.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I vote Colt as well. I got an all steel Combat Commander. It's a good size and works for home and CCW.

New Colt.jpg

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    RIA Tactical 5 inch, 475-550, right in your price range and brand spankin new. I fired 300 rounds through mine so far, and I practice double and triple taps often as well as full mag dumps and reloads. I usually will run about 150-200 rounds through a gun everytime i go to the range and I love my Rock Island
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member
    Y'all are killin me. Gotta sell some stuff first.

Distinguished Member
    Gotta class in Scottsdale next Saturday. Be glad to take that Colt off your hands with the "DC Discount"...

Heh, and make me lose my smile ?? I hunted for 3 months (when I decided to go with Colt) to find it. I'm just now getting the holsters broke in. LOL

I had to get that .45 when the Gunsite guys told me my 9mm Beretta 92FS was 'just a .45, set on 'Stun' . Oh, and every kid NEEDS a 1911...

OD*
    My vote is for a Colt. The quality of Colt's in the 1970's is excellent, they are highly sought after by Colt people for a reason. Colt's strike never affected the weapons made in the 1970s or those made into the mid to late 1980s, the strike began on January 25th, 1986.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I really don't know how one can beat Springfield. I like my Kimbers. I like my Colt. I carry a Champion.

OD*
    This comes straight from Deb/Vicky at Springfield... if more than 50% of the work is done on one of their pistols in Brazil, then somewhere on that pistol it will be marked "Brazil". Should more than 50% of the work be done in Geneseo, IL, then it does not require the "Brazil" marking. All Springer's 1911A1 pistols start as frame, slide and barrel forgings made by IMBEL in Brazil, IMBEL is a world class major arms maker (don't take my word for it, use your Google-Fu). Several of their pistols are machined from forgings at the Geneseo, IL. plant. As far as costing US jobs, Brazilian labor hasn't taken any jobs away in Geneseo, I would wager it's added to them by virtue of Springfield's increased sales. Even if the pistol is made in Brazil and completely finished there, it must still pass thru the Geneseo facility. Technically speaking, all Springfield's weapons are 100% American made, it just so happens to be South American.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links