New 649 Range review! Yeah...it was fun!!!

New 649 Range review! Yeah...it was fun!!!

This is a discussion on New 649 Range review! Yeah...it was fun!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 649 30DA.jpg CA38 5SA.jpg 649 5SA.jpg CA38 5Rapid DA.jpg CA38 30DA.jpg Glock19 30rds.jpg...

Thread: New 649 Range review! Yeah...it was fun!!!

As promised here is my range review from today. Three pistols compared. Glock 19 stock. Charter Arms Undercover 38 (first GEN) with Pachmyr Compac Grips and my new baby S&W 649. All shots taken indoors @ 25 feet. Shots taken in the first round @ 2 to 3 seconds apart. Just enough time to take a breath and exhale before firing.

1) First "round". Compare all 3 with trigger pull only. 30 rounds each firearm. Glock shot FMJ 115 grain Remington Ammo. Charter 38 shot FMJ 130 grain Remington. S&W 649 shot same FMJ ammo.

First up the G19. Like all Glocks it shot very smoothly. Recoil very manageable. I am the most familiar with this piece and surprisingly I did NOT shoot the best with it!! Most shots centrally located with 3 pulling to the right into the shoulder area. Considering I've not shot in MONTHS I'm pretty happy.

Next up. My First GEN Charter Arms Undercover 38. This little guy kicks! Recoil still manageable but even with the rubber Pachmyrs I could tell this guy would leave my hand feeling uncomfortable after a lot of rounds. I was SHOCKED when I retrieved the target. Pretty tight central pattern with one high and one low both to the right. Shot this one the best today.

Third in line...My new baby! S&W 649 still stock. I expected a little better from myself with this one but it may have been the new gun factor. Pattern mostly to the right with a few far right. Still good enough to down a BG tho. Recoil much more friendly than the CA38. Very nice but firm trigger pull. Smoother than the CA piece as well.

2) Round #2. Compare the CA and 649 in rapid fire DA fashion. Can't draw at this range so I raised each from chest to sights and started pulling!

Pretty comparable with the CA pulling right a few times and the 649 pulling left. Actually the 649 did a little better here...or I DID! LOL The Smith felt much smoother and more controlled squeezing them off in rapid fashion.

3) Round #3. 5 rounds Single action. I was slow and intentional. Pretty comparable between the CA38 and the Smith. I KEYHOLED 2 shots with the Smith. I was VERY happy about that!!! If the BG lets me have time to go SA he's a gonner!!

4) Round #4. 5 rounds with the Smith DA in .357. Wow. The recoil was substantially hotter!! I used 125 grain FXT Hornady Critical SD ammo here. All pulled right or low...going to need a little more practice with the .357. Still manageable but kicked more than I expected even for a light bullet!

Here are the pics. Proof's in the pudding boys!!

Overall I had a BLAST! LOVED the new Smith and I'm sure I'll improve with it. Surprised by the little CA ...and my Glock...always love it!

ps - the new Burger King Smokehouse XT was one tasty spicy burger on the way home! :-D
    Last edited by zip777; January 28th, 2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: clarify

A few refused to upload dangit!!! LOL Oh well.

Hey, what about the pics?

I was really lookin' forward to seeing your new gun with those fancy grips that you posted about...

If you need help posting pictures, send me a pm; or do a quick search on the subject. We've helped a few people out who were having trouble posting pics.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Hey, what about the pics?

I was really lookin' forward to seeing your new gun with those fancy grips that you posted about...

If you need help posting pictures, send me a pm; or do a quick search on the subject. We've helped a few people out who were having trouble posting pics.
    I would have but the new Hogues are on order. I shot with the stock grips. The stock grips on the 649 may very well be Hogues according to the customer service folks at Hogue but I doubt they are as good as the customs I am ordering. 2 weeks on delivery. You betcha the day they arrive I'll post a thread with pics. :)

Actually the stock grips weren't as bad as I thought holding it in the store and they were fairly comfortable while shooting since they are a softer rubber...but I'm sure I'll do better when the new ones arrive.

I just picked up a used, new to me, 649. It's in great shape! I have been thinking about replacing the rubber grips with some fancy wood grips. Where did you get the grips for yours? Thanks and Happy New Year!

Sponsored Links