Beretta PX4 (G - decocker only) 40S&W Range Report

This is a discussion on Beretta PX4 (G - decocker only) 40S&W Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got to the range this morning and shot my PX4 for the first time. It is chambered in 40S&W and it is the G ...

I got to the range this morning and shot my PX4 for the first time. It is chambered in 40S&W and it is the G model.

Models
    F - decocker / safety
    G - Decocker only
    D - DAO I think only available to LEO
    C - Constant action I think only available to LEO (supposedly to be like LEM or DAK trigger, but that is secondhand).

It has the rotating barrel which is supposed to reduce felt recoil. it has an ambi decocker located on both sides of the slide. The mag release can be changed to be either LHS or RHS. Speaking of the mag release, different size "buttons" can be installed on the gun. I think the small size is the one that comes on the gun. Getting others would include ordering as accessory. The slide release is only found on LHS. The 40 has a capacity of 14 + 1. DA is reported at 1" travel and approx. 9lbs, SA is reported at 1/4" travel and approx. 4 lbs.

A slim profile kit can be bought and installed on the gun. It reduces width by having a slimmer slide release and slimmer ambi decocker. I have not purchased that. Will wait to see how carry comfort turns out before thinking about purchasing that.

The civilian sales are supposed to come w/ 3 interchangeable backstraps and 2 mags. The LEO sales are supposed to come w/ 3 mags and the medium backstrap. I bought at CDNN ($420) and it came w/ the medium backstrap and 2 mags. I called a beretta number and had them send me, at no charge, the two other backstraps.

The PX4 comes with superluminova sights, aka the poor persons night sights. If you shine a light on them, they glow for a period of time. The good, they glow. The bad, the glow does not last that long. The badder, after my first range session, the superluminova on the front sight became dislodged. Thankfully, there was standard white paint behind the superluminova paint. I am a little irked at this and will be calling Beretta USA on Monday.

Night sites are supposed to be available real soon now from trijicon. Holsters are not abundant due to newer gun model. Comp-tac coming out w/ holster later this month. Some leather makers can make for this gun. I have an IWB leather holster on order. Will be ordering the comp-tac and Trijicons as soon as they come out.

Non-shooting impressions.

Slightly heavier than my H&K P2000 LEM in 40 (my main holster carry). Slightly larger than the P2000. Mostly in the barrel length. Not overly so for the rest of the dimensions.

Front and backstrap has "fish scales" for better grip. I will be putting the bicycle innertube or skateboarding tape on it. Have bicycle inner tube on the P2000.

Field stripping is very easy. The only small gotcha is to make sure the barrel is positioned correctly (rotated) when re-assembling.

Shooting impressions.
    I like simple manual of arms, no manual safety, external hammer (for my safety in re-holstering) and constant trigger pull first to last. It is based on the fact that I am not fond of the DA/SA trigger pull and some atrocious DA first pulls I have experienced (S&W, Ruger, etc. ...) Plus, I want my wife to be able to grab any gun in the house and work it. But something called out to me for the Baretta.

I put about 300 rounds WWB 165 FMJ, 50 Rounds 180 grain Winchester JHP and 12 rounds cor-bon JHP 165 grain (keeping the other 28 for home defense). I shot side to side w/ my P2000 for comparison. No failures of any kind.

The DA pull is nowhere near atrocious as my experience has been. After shooting 30 or so DA rounds, I feel I had a good handle on the DA trigger pull. Not mastery, but definitely comfortable with it and confident in it for carry. The SA follow ups were quick. I liked that.

The gun points nice for me. My thumb does not accidently engage the mag release, which is good. I can reach the decocker pretty easy w/ my shooting hand. I do not use the slide release, I use the "slingshot" method.

I was shooting one shot PX4, then one shot P2000. Trying to compare the recoil. It felt like they both were the same. I then looked, and to my suprise, I was shooting the 180 grain out of the PX4 and 165 grain out of the P2000. I then put 165 WWB in both and I was suprised at how "harsh" the P2000 recoil felt compared to the PX4. The PX4 definitely won hands down wrt to felt recoil and re-acquisition of target.

I then did this comparison w/ a double tap drill. I was able to double tap the PX4 quicker, but due to my inexperience w/ the DA/SA trigger, I had more fliers on the first shot. I was not as quick on the P2000 on second shot, but I was consistent in hitting the pie plates.

Overall impressions, I liked it and will be using it for holster carry (in addition to my P2000). I am happy that I have not experienced any shooting malfunctions. I am disappointed in the superluminova front sight malfunction. I will carry it once I get my holster and night sight (or at least the front sight fixed).

I am even thinking about trying to get a C model and put a small backstrap on it for my wife's bedstand gun. Heck, if the C model has as nice a trigger as the LEM and second strike capability, I might get one for myself.

Anyone who likes traditional DA/SA guns would be happy with this gun. The price is nice at CDNN and it looks to be high quality. If you've made it through my verbose description, here's some pics to go along w/ the report.
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    Wow - great write up.

Sounds like you have a keeper tho annoying re the front sight. Certainly could be worth a bit of further investment on good night sights.

I am almost exclusively DA/SA these days - I think I may have to get my hands on a CX4 just to try it out.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Shot the Px4 in 9mm and .40 today. Very nice pistols. Not too heavy and quickly back on target. Also fired the 90-Two. This is a full size pistol, but does not have the feel of one. The initial DA pull is long. Several people stopped and checked to see if the safety was still on. After the first round in DA the SA is so short I checked to see if the brass had stovepiped. The trigger was so far back from where the DA location was I didn't think it could have possibly reset. I fired the 90-Two first so when I fired the Px4 the long distance between the DA trigger position and the SA trigger position didn't throw me.

Either pistol would be a nice addition, but what I fell for was the Cx4. So did the wife. I foresee bringing one of those home in the next month or so.

Sojourner thanks for a good report and am glad that you like the pistol. I agree that the socalled Superluminova sights is a poor design. The handout from Range Day says: "Short exposure to a light source, is enough to ensure long lasting luminescence of up to 30 minutes." Let's see if I have this right. I carry my Px4 concealed under my shirt in a holster. I meet up with a BG at night in the shadow of a building. I pull my Px4 and cry, "Time out while I get out my flashlight and charge up my Superluminova sights so that I can shoot you." I don't think so. As soon as they are available put some real night sights on. Keep us posted on the front sight situation and let us know when you get some real night sights.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I was fortunate to have shot a CX4 in 40 about 4 months ago. Guy at the range let me put a few rounds through it. It put a real grin on my face. Definitely fun. Speaking of perma-grin, I shot a friends AR recently. It brought me right back to my time in the Marines. Perma-grin lasted for hours. I've got the AR itch and will scratch that itch first before the CX4.

I'll update the thread regarding the front sight and night sights. I've heard 3 - 4th week of July trijicons will be available, then time to ship. I'll just order them when they become available. In the interim, I'm hoping Beretta USA will just send me some of the superluminova paint. I don't want to send the slide back or have to re-install a front sight while waiting for the trijicons.

The only way the superluminova are bright is if I shine my surefire on them for some time. Definitely not a substitute for true night sights.

update

A few minutes on the phone w/ Beretta customer support and they will be sending in a new front sight. I should get it in about 5 days.

Called trijicon to check availability of sights. I was told that it would be about a month until they were generally available. However, they are already being sold to Beretta for their PX4's for LEO purchase. Not LEO, so I must wait.

I don't know any other supplier that currently has night sigthts for PX4. Anyone ??

Thanks for the range report and the update on the front sight.

I have liked the looks of this gun from the first article I read about it. They make a fine gun. I have been hoping to see a range report on the PX4 on here.

Glad you like yours.
    I would like to hear more about the H&K P2000 also.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by PT-111
    Thanks for the range report and the update on the front sight.

I have liked the looks of this gun from the first article I read about it. They make a fine gun. I have been hoping to see a range report on the PX4 on here.

Glad you like yours.
    I would like to hear more about the H&K P2000 also.
    Got your pm, replied. Also, search P2000 or LEM on forum.

Glad you like your PX4. Very nice range report.

Regarding your front sight: I personally can't stand the Superluminova as it is not bright white. Sure it glows if you charge it, but I shoot IDPA and that doesn't help me. I painted over my Superluminova with Brite Sights paint. (After that I was on a tour at Beretta USA and was told that testors model paint is basically identical to what they use) They are much brighter for daytime shooting and I didn't see the glow in the dark coming in very useful anyway.

Last weekend at Beretta Range Day we discussed Superluminova with the Beretta Rep. He claimed the military is getting away from Trijicon because there is actually equipment out now that can detect them. It is capable of detecting the minute radioactive charge and can therefore be used to detect soldiers. Don't know if it is true, but that is what I was told.

Per Beretta USA Trijicon is the first night sights to be available. They already exist, but had to fill LE orders before being offered comercially.

Regarding the "C": No restrike capability. They interviewed a good number of Law Enforcement organizations and came to the conclusion that all were trained in tap-rack-bang and never used restrike anyway. The more I thought about it the more I saw their point.

Thanks again for a well written review and may your PX4 serve you well for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Garg
    Glad you like your PX4. Very nice range report.

Regarding your front sight: I personally can't stand the Superluminova as it is not bright white. Sure it glows if you charge it, but I shoot IDPA and that doesn't help me. I painted over my Superluminova with Brite Sights paint. (After that I was on a tour at Beretta USA and was told that testors model paint is basically identical to what they use) They are much brighter for daytime shooting and I didn't see the glow in the dark coming in very useful anyway.

Last weekend at Beretta Range Day we discussed Superluminova with the Beretta Rep. He claimed the military is getting away from Trijicon because there is actually equipment out now that can detect them. It is capable of detecting the minute radioactive charge and can therefore be used to detect soldiers. Don't know if it is true, but that is what I was told.

Per Beretta USA Trijicon is the first night sights to be available. They already exist, but had to fill LE orders before being offered comercially.

Regarding the "C": No restrike capability. They interviewed a good number of Law Enforcement organizations and came to the conclusion that all were trained in tap-rack-bang and never used restrike anyway. The more I thought about it the more I saw their point.

Thanks again for a well written review and may your PX4 serve you well for many years to come.
    Thanks for the info. on the testors model paint, brite sights paint, and the trijicons and the military's thoughts on tritium sensing. The cust support said real soon now. Berettaforum.net had a picture of a D or C model w/ the trijicons that was sold LEO.

I'd like the restrike capability, like my HK LEM or the Sig DAK. Moreso for my wife, who does not shoot anywhere near what I would feel comfortable with. So, it is simple manual of arms and constant trigger pull, and hopefully 2nd strike. Last time she did the tap-rack-bang was the same day as her NRA basic pistol course.

Again, thanks for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner
    Berettaforum.net had a picture of a D or C model w/ the trijicons that was sold LEO.
    One odd thing about the PX4 is that the D and C models do not use the same rear sights as the F and G models. Rumored that after the F and G were released a better rear sight design was devised which provides a longer sight picture. Not sure if future F and G models will incorporate the new rear sight or not.

What I'm really waiting for is Dawson to make a FO front sight for the PX4.

I just ordered the bright sights ghost glow kit along w/ white and white glow.

Am curious as to what color you painted your sights and if you mixed the glow paint w/ the regular paint.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner
    I just ordered the bright sights ghost glow kit along w/ white and white glow.

Am curious as to what color you painted your sights and if you mixed the glow paint w/ the regular paint.

Thanks
    I just used white and I chose not to use the glow. Was afraid it would turn out like Luminova.

Bought a vial of green also, but it was too dark for my liking.

I just used white and I chose not to use the glow. Was afraid it would turn out like Luminova.

Bought a vial of green also, but it was too dark for my liking.
    Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking of just putting the white glow over the already white paint on the sights. That, or remove all the paint and mix the white paint and the white glow paint.

Links