Ruger SR9c experience?

This is a discussion on Ruger SR9c experience? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm interested on hearing from anybody with experience shooting this gun. Particularly: any bruising or redness in the base of the thumb? Accuracy IWB Holster ...

Thread: Ruger SR9c experience?

Ruger SR9c experience?

I'm interested on hearing from anybody with experience shooting this gun.

Particularly:
    any bruising or redness in the base of the thumb?
    Accuracy
    IWB Holster available
    Pocket Holsters available (I know it's a bit large but I now pocket carry a PT145)
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

2. Remove Ads

Oops! I had my mind on the LC9 early this morning. My bad. You should get good reviews and information.
    Last edited by Armydad; January 29th, 2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Corrected response.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    I don't think any have shipped so far.
    Really? You'd be surprised.

To answer the OP's questions:

1. The weight at approx 24 oz easily controls the gun and the ergonomics are superb. I've shot 200 rounds in one outing and could have gone another 200 comfortably.

2. Extremely accurate. Groups well and will point shoot at combat distances.

3. For IWB, I'm currently using the High Noon Split Decision. For OWB, the Mitch Rosen from Ruger is really nice, too.

4. It's too large and heavy for pocket carry. You'd need to step down to the LC9 or LCP for that.

Even though this is a "compact" semiauto, I don't see myself needing a full-size anytime soon. This fits my needs for a solid, heavy firepower auto. I might get the LC9 to have more concealment options, or add a snubby to the lineup.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    I don't think any have shipped so far.
    You must be thinking of the LC9

I really like my new SR9c so far, especially the trigger compared to my other guns. It seems a good value for the price too, mine was 405.00 online.
    Bruised thumb? -nope.
    Accuracy? -no complaints, the nice trigger gets credit in my case.
    IWB holsters? - there's plenty, have a Shielded Holster that I modified for comfort and also considering the High Noon Split Decision.

I don't own one, but have shot some. They seem like a good pistol for the money. Very comfortable in the hand when shooting. Accuracy, as most modern pistols, they are probably more accurate than the shooter.

Can't speak to pocket holster or such, but they do seem to be a bit big for that. The only thing I did notice on the ones that I have handled as well as the SR9's, they seem to have a pretty heavy recoil spring right out of the box. It might loosen up over time, but it makes racking the slide difficult for some shooters and if the ammo is a bit underpowered you might experience some FTF or failure to lockback on an empty mag. That isn't the fault of the gun, but something that should be kept in mind if you experience failures of this kind. Might simply be an ammo issue, and not the gun.

For the money, I don't think you can go wrong if you decide on the SR9c.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have one and it's my second in line EDC. (My LCP is my first in line, due to size.)

I have had NO PROBLEMS with firing any amount of ammo.
    I did have a friend that held the gun differently and the slide cut his hand I showed him a proper way to fire the gun and no problems...
    I can not address holsters as selection in my area sucks big time and I can't afford to keep ordering different ones. I use Uncle Mike's, not the best but they work.

You can't go wrong with the SR9c in my view.

Lateck,

Thanks All. Went to the Knoxville gunshow to check them out. Prices from 389 to 429. Fit my hand well. I will probably order one thru a local shop.
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post

1. The weight at approx 24 oz easily controls the gun and the ergonomics are superb. I've shot 200 rounds in one outing and could have gone another 200 comfortably.

2. Extremely accurate. Groups well and will point shoot at combat distances.

3. For IWB, I'm currently using the High Noon Split Decision. For OWB, the Mitch Rosen from Ruger is really nice, too.

4. It's too large and heavy for pocket carry. You'd need to step down to the LC9 or LCP for that.

Even though this is a "compact" semiauto, I don't see myself needing a full-size anytime soon. This fits my needs for a solid, heavy firepower auto. I might get the LC9 to have more concealment options, or add a snubby to the lineup.
    +1 on shockwave's comments with a couple of notes. Play with the reversible back strap, getting it turned the right way for you can improve comfort. IWB - CrossBreed SuperTuck. OWB - Blackhawk Serpa. I also have two 17 round extended magazines that I carry all the time (assuming I'm not somewhere that limits me to the 10 round), this gives me more rounds and the extended grip is more comfortable.

I carry mine every day, and am very satisfied with it. I've got over 1000 rounds through it with no problems. It's my first gun, so I wanted something small and easy to conceal, but big enough to comfortably shoot a lot for practice. I usually shoot 100-200 rounds per range session with no discomfort. I'd shoot more if I could afford it! It's accurate, and has a great trigger. The grip is just long enough, with the flat mag base, to get my pinky on it, unlike the Glock G26. I carry it IWB or Appendix IWB every day and it conceals very well. I make my own holsters, so at this point I've got a drawer full of them. If you're interested in one, PM me. I've got more than I need.

Links