Ruger Alaskan 454/ 45 Colt

This is a discussion on Ruger Alaskan 454/ 45 Colt within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very nice set-up. Train with that bad boy so you don't end up some other bad boys dinner! Those bears are very fast....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger Alaskan 454/ 45 Colt

Very nice set-up. Train with that bad boy so you don't end up some other bad boys dinner! Those bears are very fast.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnow View Post
    Very nice set-up. Train with that bad boy so you don't end up some other bad boys dinner! Those bears are very fast.
    AMEN!!! you can be outta shells and never hit a bear with the quickness!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Nice jean jacket

and Ruger!
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

The front sight is the Ruger green HiViz- got it in 3 days after ordering it from Ruger. The lanyard stud is a story in itself. I love Hamilton Bowen and got my lanyard from him but his lanyard stud is FIFTY BUCKS! It merely replaces the screw in the bottom of the Hogue grips. I saw on a blog that Hogue offers a stud that attaches the same way but is not in their catalogs. I called Hogue and in 3-4 days I had 2 lanyard studs for $6.50 (inc shipping)!! I have never seen the Bowen stud in person but the Hogue is also solid stainless and appears to be as solid as a rock.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Ruger should also make the gun with a 4" barrel, like they do with their .44 Magnum Redhawk. It is available with a 4.2" barrel.

Shooting these big super magnums out of a snubnose barrel seems to be self-defeating to me.

Let's face it, how concealable is this gun? Might as well put a decent barrel length on it, in my opinion.

My next magnum revolver is going to have a 6 inch barrel on it.

Nice revolver! I live in Anchorage AK and have the exact same holster for my S&W 460V. Diamond D holsters make carrying a big revolver quite comfortable.

Lance: I’m with ya; I would love to see this with a 4” bbl, but that’s just a personal thing.

I don’t think they (Ruger) had any intentions of this being a concealable weapon. From what I’ve read; they wanted the biggest bang in the most packable package and it appears they hit the nail on the head. Just look at the sales of this little jewel.

Also; the tests I’ve seen give this a big advantage over everyone’s buddy, the 44 mag. Even with the short tube, it still has 30% more energy than a 6” 44. Take the power of a 44 mag, tack on 30% and you get one hell-of-a wallop (I think I remembered those numbers correctly?).

Personally, I love it. Take another look at how “Cop 1” set-up his piece; very functional and very handy – Chest holster; Hi Viz front sight and Lanyard. Perfect for it’s intended use.
    Thanks . . . Dave
    ***There are no extraordinary men...just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with*** Admiral William "Bull" Halsey

jyo
    Yes, I like the 4" barrel better myself---my friend has a 4" .44 Mag---claims it is just about the perfect all-around revolver for his part of the country. Yeah, I could see a 4" .454 Redhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by jyo View Post
    Yes, I like the 4" barrel better myself---my friend has a 4" .44 Mag---claims it is just about the perfect all-around revolver for his part of the country. Yeah, I could see a 4" .454 Redhawk.
    How about a 5.5 inch .454 Redhawk?

Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Great looking Redhawk!

I wonder why Ruger discontinued the Redhawk in .454 ??

Wasn't it a Ruger Alaskan that Dwayne Johnson carried in his movie "FASTER" last year:

Yeah that is one. I like the looks of the revolver but I just can't justify a .454 here. I am thinking of the .44 though :D
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Arisin Wind: I talked to one of the guys at Bowen Classic Arms on Monday and he discouraged me from having a Redhawk converted to a 454. Said they were having ignition problems, even with the extended firing pin. Are you experiencing any problems like this?
    They are building 454's starting with the Alaskan (no scope cutouts on topstrap); reforming the frame and adding a Redhawk bbl. You get the benefits of the Super Redhawk, with the smoother lines of the standard Redhawk. I haven't decided which way to go just yet.
    Here is the link, just go to the bottom of the page:

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/..._Super_Redhawk

Thanx. . . Dave
    ***There are no extraordinary men...just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with*** Admiral William "Bull" Halsey

Dave - I haven't had problems with misfire's. The gun has fired every time. I've only run 50 rounds through it since I converted it a couple weeks ago but it worked fine as it did before the conversion.

The Redhawks do have a reputation of having double action firing failures. Some people say an extended firing pin is needed. Others change springs hoping to get a harder strike. Sometimes that works sometimes it doesn't.

A friend had issues with his Redhawk having misfires in double action. He filed the hammer top step some to increase the amount of energy transferred to the firing pin and it worked for him. I've seen this recommended on the Ruger forums as well.

The Bowen Alaskan conversions are simply fantastic. It's what Ruger should be building.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links