Ruger Alaskan 454/ 45 Colt

This is a discussion on Ruger Alaskan 454/ 45 Colt within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess 35 yrs wasn't enough. Joining a PD in Alaska next month. I love to fish but was given several suggestions for close encounters ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Alaskan 454/ 45 Colt

Ruger Alaskan 454/ 45 Colt

I guess 35 yrs wasn't enough. Joining a PD in Alaska next month. I love to fish but was given several suggestions for close encounters of the huge and furry kind. I settled on this Ruger Alaskan. What a BEAST. Also picked up the GREAT chest holster from Diamond 'D' Custom Leather.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

The .454 Alaskan is on my short list of guns to own! Enjoy it!

That is a beast

I've had my eye on the Guide's Choice holster from Diamond D, for some time.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

It's a beast, but shot placement will still be important to avoid becoming a meal...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Have someone roll a basketball as hard as they can in your direction and then you try hitting it on the fly with that cannon. That will give you an idea of what you'll be dealing with if that big brownie charges out of the brush, The basketball is a good representation of the vital zone on the move.

If you know you're up against a bear, a 12 ga is minimum. Slugs versus buck can be argued all day, but hits on a bear that is faster than a horse count.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I was just commenting to my wife last night that I wanted one of those....her reply was "i'm next on the list for a new gun"

jyo
    What a neat gun for Alaska! I have two Freedom Arms .454s and love them---I can't wait to see the look on your face when you crank-off that first full-shout .454 round in that snub-nose! Remember, the .454 is nice, but keep an 870 around.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Nice snubby sixgun!

This was one of my holy grails, as they are rare at dealers down here, and finding one at a distributor has been difficult. I found a nice pre-owned Alaskan at a Houston dealer this past week, and did some fast figuring, to find I could afford to start a minimal layaway, if I put off purchasing some photographic equipment. I might be able to pick it up in a couple of weeks, or I may have to wait a while longer, but within 90 days, I will finally have a big-bore DA snubby that fits my hands. I can't get enough finger onto an N-frame's trigger, if the grip is properly centered in the web of my hand, in DA mode. The SRH, however, mimics the dimensions of the GP100, with identical grips in place. The pre-Hogue GP100 factory grip is absolute perfection for my hands, and fits the SRH.

I believe in big-bore long guns for deliberately dealing with dangerous critters, but an SRH Alaskan can be handy, in a chest rig, while one has something else, such as an axe or shovel, in hand, or while one is squatting over a cat hole. I have read too many accounts of people using their bare hands to resist a mauling; better to have some hardcast-lead-dispensing nasal spray. I see the SRH Alaskan as a mega-up-sized SP101, a back-up weapon for environments where one may have to deal with something bigger than humans and mountain lions.

The Ruger Alaskan in 454 is high on my wish list. I definitely like the chest rig.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Great buy!! I love the rig, and everyones gotta love the big bore short barrel beasts.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I have one in .44 Mag that I carry when fly fishing in griz country in the National Forest around Yellowstone National Park.

wyo-man

NIce rig!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Honestly, I want that gun to be my first revolver. I love that thing!

Thanks for all the great responses. And regarding the 12 ga suggestions, an 870 Marine Magnum is going to be my primary. I have an XS Big Dot front on the way.

Hey Cop 1: Tell us about the front sight and the lanyard stud -- Does it have a tapped hole in place, or did a smith have to do it (the stud)? Thanks. . . Dave
    ***There are no extraordinary men...just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with*** Admiral William "Bull" Halsey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links