Walther PPS 9mm, new to us

This is a discussion on Walther PPS 9mm, new to us within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to us; Walther PPS 9mm I've been contemplating getting a 9mm and 45acp to round out my stables. I had initially intended to get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS 9mm, new to us

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

New to us; Walther PPS 9mm

I've been contemplating getting a 9mm and 45acp to round out my stables. I had initially intended to get a Smith & Wesson Sigma 9mm as it is very reasonably priced. I had had one in 40 S&W and liked it well but sold it to finance my HK at the time.
    I also have been trying to convince my daughter to carry in and around the house because of her nut-case, soon-to-be, ex-husband. She keeps one of my Dan Wessons close by but doesn't wear it. It is pretty heavy.

So we've been looking at guns online and this was one that she had expressed interest in. While running around today we stopped by Trader's and they had two used Walther PPS'. Checking them out my daughter liked it and we were seriously considering it. They're small and very light weight. One card mentioned nothing extra and that's the way it came, WYSIWYG.

The other card said there was a box. This one was $50 more but looked a little cleaner than the other. I was concerned about having to buy extra mags right away as Walther is very proud of theirs. So I asked the guy helping us to see what was in the box. He brought it out and opened it. It was the Walther box, manual, the spare palm grip panel and two more mags that have never been opened from their wrappers. So guess which one we picked?

The test fire casing envelope is dated 10/30/09. Date code on the slide is AK = 2009. This gun is barely over a year old and looks like it was shot maybe one day! Very nice. I told her I would get her a holster for it. Hopefully she will carry it. If she doesn't, I may!

I don't know when I'll get to do a range report as I'm very busy during tax season.

...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Wife has one and will not trade it away. This was a nominal step-up from her S&W model 60 snubbie. Shoots great for her. Congrats!

pps holster 3.jpgpps holster 2.jpgpps holster 1.jpg

The holster by DMBullard, Azle, Tx

Distinguished Member
    Nice pistol, your a good Dad.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Wow, that is one gorgeous holster OtoPA. Looks very well made.

Amazing that a local store had two used PPS pistols for sale. I never seen any used PPS pistols for sale locally. I don't even see them available online at gunbroker.com either.

You were very lucky to be able to find a used one.

Nice purchase! If i had my way, I'd own one too!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    My next handgun purchase is a Walther PPS 9mm. What a fantastic handgun for concealed carry!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Love the feel of the PPS and how slim it is, add me to the list of those hoping to find a good deal on a nice used one!

I love my pps! I think you made a great purchase, and found a very good deal with the spare mags. I like to carry mine in a crossbreed supertuck, but that may not work for your daughter depending on her style of dress.

Best of luck!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I like Walthers, sounds like a good pickup!

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I've had 9mm PPS for about 18 months. It's a tack driver and very pleasant to shoot.

Put about 1,400 rds. of assorted fmj and jhp ammo through it with zero hiccups so far.

Congratulations on your PPS OP! Walther hit a homerun with this pistol, IMO.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I recommend you guys also check out the Walther P99AS. I bought one about 6 months ago and it has been nothing but superb. I have shot 500 rounds through it and it hasn't had a single failure. The ergonomics, reliability and accuracy of the P99AS is amazing. Walther also makes the P99AS Compact which is a fantastic carry gun.

I want to add a Walther PPS 9mm and a Walther PPK/S .380 to my firearms collection. They are awesome handguns!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I want to add a Walther PPS 9mm and a Walther PPK/S .380 to my firearms collection. They are awesome handguns!
    Yes, but compare the dimensions of these two pistols, and you will see that there is no point in owning a PPK/S if you already own a PPS.

PPS Specs:

Length: 6.3"
    Height: 4.4"
    Slide Width: .91"
    Weight: 19.4 oz

PPK/S Specs:

Length: 6.1"
    Height: 4.3"
    Slide Width: .98"
    Weight: 22.4 oz

The PPS is lighter than the PPK/S, and for all practical purposes, just as easy to conceal. Yet, you get 7 rounds of 9mm in a magazine, instead of 7 rounds of only .380 That is a significant advantage for the PPS!

The Walther PP/PPK pistols were revolutionary guns when they were introduced. However, it is now 80 years since the PPK came on the market. It cannot compete with a modern state of the art pistol like the PPS, which was designed in 2005, and came on the market in 2007.

If Ian Fleming was writing his James Bond novels today, Bond would be carrying a PPS, and not a PPK.

In my opinion, the only good reason to own a Walther PP or PPK is for historical nostalgia. They were a significant advancement in the design of handguns, and played a significant role in history. They thus belong in any good historical handgun collection. The PPK/S is a rather bogus design, only created to satisfy US gun control laws. The guns certainly cannot compete with newer modern pistol like the PPS, when it comes to concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    In my opinion, the only good reason to own a Walther PP or PPK is for historical nostalgia.
    That is precisely the reason I want a Walther PPK. I also want to own a Luger, a Colt 1911, an M1 Garand, a Colt Single Action Army revolver and a Thompson. I love to own firearms that have a historical significance in firearms history. Currently, I only own a Beretta 1934 but I am looking for some new collectibles but they are harder to find and more expensive in Costa Rica.

jyo
    I have owned a 9mm PPS for about two years---great reliable pistol---I can recommend them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links