Wife Wants To Get A Hammerless Revolver For CC.....Which ones to choose? - Page 2

Wife Wants To Get A Hammerless Revolver For CC.....Which ones to choose?

This is a discussion on Wife Wants To Get A Hammerless Revolver For CC.....Which ones to choose? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Spec Yes I have shot both the S&W airweight (442) and the S&W Model 640. I like the 640 better. As for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife Wants To Get A Hammerless Revolver For CC.....Which ones to choose?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Yes I have shot both the S&W airweight (442) and the S&W Model 640. I like the 640 better. As for my girlfriend she shot the 442 three rounds said, it kicks to much, it hurts and put it down. Picks up the 640 and said she likes the few more ounces better on target time. Also the ability to shoot .357mag and 38spl (+P) is a good option.
    With stock grips your GF is right. When I bought my 642 and first shot it, I thought I had made a mistake. I then put Hogue monogrips on it and it became fun to shoot. I have not shot either a 642 or 640 with CT grips.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

As an owner of a S&W MP340 with the Crimson trace grips I have to say you can't go wrong with the S&W's mentioned above - I have been very impressed with thier customer service as well. However if I were to buy another small framed revolver it would probably be the Ruger LCR in .38. I am not a fan of S&W "Hilary Holes" and have been impressed by how well the LCR's seem to handle .38 rounds. I have no experience with the Charters or Tauruses out there, so I wont talk about them. For my money it would be a Ruger LCR.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Best options are:

• Ruger LCR
    • S&W 642
    • S&W 442

I own the Smith & Wesson 442 .38+P so I obviously think it is awesome, but I also highly recommend the Ruger LCR.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

SW 442 or 642
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

If it's anything like my SP101, then my vote goes for the LCR.

642 with lg305 laser grips. The 305 is the longer grip that covers the backstrap and you can get three fingers on it. Get her some snap caps so she can safely practice loading and reloading. Have her dryfire while trying to hold the laser as steady as possible. My wife can shoot 1.75" groups at 15 ft slowfire and 5" at 15 ft firing as fast as she can get a sight picture. You won't find as many holsters/carry options available for anything else like you can a j-frame S&W. Shooting gloves are a good thing to. I tried to talk my wife out of buying hers because of what everyone says about how hard the are to shoot but she didn't want anything else. If people would take a little time to dryfire and learn proper trigger control they would find that airweight j frames aren't as bad as they think they are.

My daughter prefers the Ruger LCR with the Hogue grip. The CT grip is really nice (I have on my 649) but it does not absorb as much energy. I would probably get the LCR in 357 and then just shoot 38's. That way the gun is more versatile.

I've got the LCR no laser but I really like it. Most I've allowed to fire it like it as well.

My wife was in the same situation and she now has her CCW. She tried (and by tried, I mean shot several at a local gun range) several name brands that included Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Rossi, etc. Hands down, she settled on the S&W 642 after I suggested a set of Hogue grips on it so that her pinky finger did not hang off. This made a tremendous and positive impact on her decision. Once you practice to get used to double action, it's a great choice for concealed carry due to its light weight (15 ounces unloaded) and lack of hammer.
    Wilson Combat Tactical Elite
    Springfield Champion, Springfield Mil Spec, Beretta 92FS
    Smith & Wesson 642, Smith & Wesson 640
    Smith & Wesson 627 Pro Series, Smith & Wesson 629 Classic
    Remington 1100 Competition Master, Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless 300 WSM

Either a S&W 442 or a Ruger LCR with CT Grips.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

i have many snubbies. I carry a smith and wesson 642 with custom wood grips, and a Smith 442 with Crimson Trace Laser grips. Although great for CCW, they are not fun to shoot. I do have heavier Taurus snubbies that weigh in around 23 ounces, and they are much more enjoyable to shoot. With a shrouded hammer, she can shoot in single action to get used to the recoil without developing a flinch, and can feel safe knowing a large hammer spur wont snag on clothing. I carry all three depending on the mood. The Taurus is the third picture and can handle 357 magnum or 38 special. The first two smith can handle up to 38 + P rounds, but i only carry +P and dont shoot them regularly in practice. The last picture is a Taurus 22lr 9 shot revolver which is great for putting lead downrange and learning trigger... i know the recoil isnt the same as a 38, but you do learn how to stage the double action. Bunker
    Attached Images

Guys, guys, guys......get the newest S&W. 38 spl. with laser built in and, don't look back. I can not find the model number on S&W site for some craZy reason.

I'll add another vote for the 640. The 6(4)42 are fine choices, but the 640 will absorb the recoil better and does give the option of .357.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    Guys, guys, guys......get the newest S&W. 38 spl. with laser built in and, don't look back. I can not find the model number on S&W site for some craZy reason.
    It is the Bodyguard 38, previously referred to as a "K-Mart Blue Light Special with S&W logo."

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    Another plug for the 640 - the cream of the crop in its class. Add Crimson Trace laser grips if you like lasers.

Do not be seduced by the cheaper S&W Bodyguard 38, a K-Mart blue light special with S&W logo. You get what you pay for.
    The hammerless isn't difficult to handle at all, just took time time get used to--and being that my kids are also with me gave the assurance that when I reach (as I carry on my back side) less of a chance to get hung up. I truely like my 640-3, .357, even at 23 ounces it is secure and reliable, recoil isn't at all terrible on the palm and a perfect choice in my opinion for a first purchase. If you can get to a shop and try it out it's definitely worth it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links