Wife Wants To Get A Hammerless Revolver For CC.....Which ones to choose?

This is a discussion on Wife Wants To Get A Hammerless Revolver For CC.....Which ones to choose? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Paladin3840 It is the Bodyguard 38, previously referred to as a "K-Mart Blue Light Special with S&W logo." I'm grateful to have ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wife Wants To Get A Hammerless Revolver For CC.....Which ones to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    It is the Bodyguard 38, previously referred to as a "K-Mart Blue Light Special with S&W logo."
    I'm grateful to have come of age when Smith & Wesson still manufactured traditional quality revolver designs.

I'd advise picking up a low-mileage used Smith & Wesson Model 40 or Model 49 for a woman's use. She'll appreciate the steel frame if she intends to practice with it and it is assumed she devote some time to practice.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

I go along with the consensus, that it really comes down to a choice between the 640 (stainless steel) and 642 (alloy frame stainless steel cylinder). The 640 is more pleasant to shoot, the lighter 642 is more pleasant to carry. Only your wife can decide which is for her. My choice, because I expect to carry it a lot and shoot it relatively little, is the lighter revolver. My wife and daughter, independently and fifteen years apart, chose the heavier revolvers. Let her handle and shoot both then take HER pick.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Ruger LCR .38 hands down BEST trigger of anything posted, lightweight, and affordable @ 587 dollars shipped w/laser

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/58568

Well, I'll be the oddball in the crowd. The S&W are fine revolvers for sure, I have one and will own more before I'm tagged and bagged, but I'd let her check out the LCR in .38 +p. It's a light weight revolver at 13.5 oz, but the grips have a bit of a shock absorber built in and it does help with the recoil. The trigger is gravy right outa the box. FWIW
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

642 CT or Ruger LCR CT

Has she actually shot a lightweight snubby? I'm not recoil sensitive and after a 50 round Q-course with my 642 my right hand is numb and my thumb is bleeding. The airweights are definitely not a pleasant gun to shoot.

My wife started out carrying a S&W 642, but found the trigger to be too heavy for her to comfortably use. Even after installing a lighter trigger spring, she still didn't like it. We picked her up a Ruger LCR and she's been carrying it daily ever since. The LCR has the smoothest, easiest trigger pull of any double-action revolver I've ever shot.

Nothing in the revolver industry compares to the ruger LCR trigger out of the box, nothing. it is heads and shoulders above the rest.

S&w 642

My wife carries an LCR and loves it. She tried the S&W's but she liked the trigger on the LCR better. She has one without the laser and likes the grip better than the one with the laser. She is not a large or very strong women but she has no problem shooting +p ammo in it even though it is quite snappy with them. She has about 600 rounds through it and has had no problems with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links