Wife Wants To Get A Hammerless Revolver For CC.....Which ones to choose?

This is a discussion on Wife Wants To Get A Hammerless Revolver For CC.....Which ones to choose? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is planning on getting her CCW. Has tried out about 3 or 4 different types of handguns at a local range so far. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My wife is planning on getting her CCW. Has tried out about 3 or 4 different types of handguns at a local range so far. Is not comfortable with a semi-auto.....Has decided she wants to get a hammerless 38 revolver...mostly for size/weight ..also wants a laser in the handgrip......Was wondering if any of you could lead us in a direction of which brand/models to stay away from (not sure if that is allowed in this forum or not but thought I would try)......or maybe what options to look for in construction materials, features, etc....what works best, what doesn't....Sure are a lot of models out there......thanks

442/642 with a crimson trace grip,the only advantage the more expensive J frames have over the airweights are better sights,and that advantage is somewhat negated with the lazergrip.
    IMHO

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    S&W 642 and C.T. laser grips and you're done.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm thinking S&W. They offer several models in hammerless and shrouded configurations, even something called the "Lady Smith" I think. I'm not a laser fan, but there're plenty on this forum that can steer you in that direction.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

CMR
    Either the 642 or 442, without the internal lock.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

My wife has the S&W 642 Crimson Trace. She is happy with it. I like it to. My wife likes the way the 642 CT fits her hand much better than the standard 642. The 642 CT provides a full grip while the standard 642 leaves the pinky hanging. If you are not interested in the CT and you wanted a full grip you could swap out the stocks on a 642 for a lot less money.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Lightbulb S&w 640

Don't overlook the 640 in .38 Special.A few more ounces to pack,but much easier to control in rapid fire.
    U.S. Army Veteran

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or if you want to save $75-100, try Charter arms.
    Lifetime warranty, Made in the US.

Here is the page for their site . this is for the 5 shot .357 pug w/crimson. $545 sug. retail,,,http://charterfirearms.com/products/...pug_73524.html

Here is the page for the Off duty w/crimson $555,,,,http://charterfirearms.com/products/...uty_53814.html
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or if you want to save $75-100, try Charter arms.
    Lifetime warranty, Made in the US.

Here is the page for their site . this is for the 5 shot .357 pug w/crimson. $545 sug. retail,,,http://charterfirearms.com/products/...pug_73524.html

Here is the page for the Off duty w/crimson $555,,,,http://charterfirearms.com/products/...uty_53814.html

(While nice, that MagPug has a hammer, OP stated looking for a hammerless.)

This may be true at most LGS, I picked up my S&W 442 for less than a Taurus CIA, and Charter hammerless (not sure model?) and Ruger LCR. I happened to walk in and catch them on a S&W sale. I would have bought a Taurus or Charter after handling them had they been significantly less expensive, and the Ruger LCR didn't impress me.

I've also noticed that S&W seems to be the only snubbie with a 1 7/8" barrel, vs a 2" barrel. Not that 1/8" makes a difference, lol.

Good luck! I like my 442, disapointed in the finish, seems to have alot of holster wear for being so new when I compare it to the finish of my CT p3at?

$300 for a Charter Undercover, with boot grip. (Good deal!)
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/38053

Taurus for $318
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/31863

Taurus .357MAG for $340
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/31866

S&W 442 for $361
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/26306

Only $61 between the Charter and S&W.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Another plug for the 640 - the cream of the crop in its class. Add Crimson Trace laser grips if you like lasers.

Do not be seduced by the cheaper S&W Bodyguard 38, a K-Mart blue light special with S&W logo. You get what you pay for.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    Another plug for the 640 - the cream of the crop in its class. Add Crimson Trace laser grips if you like lasers.

Do not be seduced by the cheaper S&W Bodyguard 38, a K-Mart blue light special with S&W logo. You get what you pay for.

Doesn't the Bodyguard cyl. revolve the "wrong way" vs other S&W revolvers? IIRC I read that about it,...that alone would turn me off.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Bought my wife a 642 CT and she loves it. The Crimson Trace is a great dry firing training aid, try to hold the res dot steady on target while pulling the trigger; unless she is a seasoned shooter already she will have trouble doing it at first.

VIP Member
    I have both the 642 & 640. The 640 gives more options (.38 & .357) and is heavier so it controls recoil better. The 642 is lighter and easier to carry, but takes more control to get it back in target quickly. This could be more of an issue with women who tend to not have as strong of wrists as men.

If I had to pick one of the two it would be the 640 hands down. It is more fun to shoot in addition to the options. Not sure if S&W has a package deal on the 640, but you should be able to buy the CT grips and add them yourself.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Well... I toss in my vote for either the 442 of 642 too. I feel compeled to also mention the SP-101 even though the weight is considerably more, it IS a fine, fine revolver.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I have both the 642 & 640. The 640 gives more options (.38 & .357) and is heavier so it controls recoil better. The 642 is lighter and easier to carry, but takes more control to get it back in target quickly. This could be more of an issue with women who tend to not have as strong of wrists as men.

If I had to pick one of the two it would be the 640 hands down. It is more fun to shoot in addition to the options. Not sure if S&W has a package deal on the 640, but you should be able to buy the CT grips and add them yourself.
    Yes I have shot both the S&W airweight (442) and the S&W Model 640. I like the 640 better. As for my girlfriend she shot the 442 three rounds said, it kicks to much, it hurts and put it down. Picks up the 640 and said she likes the few more ounces better on target time. Also the ability to shoot .357mag and 38spl (+P) is a good option.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links