Question about my new Kimber...

This is a discussion on Question about my new Kimber... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've only owned two .45's. The first was a Springfield TRP (wish I still had it) & I just bought a Kimber Pro CDP II ...

Thread: Question about my new Kimber...

Question about my new Kimber...

I've only owned two .45's. The first was a Springfield TRP (wish I still had it) & I just bought a Kimber Pro CDP II yesterday.

The Springfield shot quite low when I bought it new. I sent it back to Springfield & they returned it shooting dead on. They didn't actually shoot it because they said there was so much snow on their range they couldn't get to it. But, it shot great after they worked on it.

The Kimber I just bought shoots low & to the left. I can correct the windage myself, but would really like to get the point of impact raised. The shop I bought it from told me that Kimber would charge me to correct the problem.

I guess the real question is what do the manufacturers consider to be satisfactory? The gun shoots several inches low at 7 yds. plus a a bit to the left. These are the only 2 handguns I've ever owned that shoot consistently low. I've verified that the Kimber shoots low by having better shooters than me try it.

2. Remove Ads

I would send it back they have a 1 year warranty so you should not be charged

JD
    Administrator
    Not to try and slam you or step on your toes, but were you shooting off hand or from a rest? Kimber has a very good service dept. and will get it boack to POA.

Shooting the Kimber

We shot it both off hand & from a rest. The result was the same. It shoots low & to the left.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    This might not be the "fix" that you want to hear, but gotta ask,what load are you using when the POI is low? Also is this a CCW or a target weapon?

Your POI can be changed upwards by using a HEAVIER bullet. I realize that you might have your heart set on using the 165's or 185's but you might have to go to a 230gr. loading. It's either that, or as stated above send it back to Kimber.

Also if this is a CCW,for me,I would not worry about the POI being 2 inches low or high at 7-10 yards.

Whatever you decide to do,PLEASE leave that file in your toolbox. ------- Edited to add -->Give 230gr.NON +P ammo a try.
    Last edited by RSSZ; July 16th, 2006 at 12:44 PM.

JD
    Administrator

Ammunition

That's a very good point on the ammo, I've shot Wolf only once and never again, all my rounds were 6" to the left at 25yds. All other brands were dead center.

New front sight blade and sight pushing tool

The only way I know to adjust your fixed sight Kimber so that it shoots higher and more to the right involves a new front sight blade and a sight pushing tool for the rear sight. This will cost money - either Kimber's money or your money.

You should certainly try Kimber first and see if they will take care of it. But if they won't, you'll have to buy a "lower height" front sight blade from Kimber or someone else, and have it installed by a gunsmith. Then the rear sight has to be drifted slightly to the right to adjust the windage. I don't know of any short cut to do this, and you have to be careful that you don't scratch your gun in the process.

I would try the heavier ammunition and see if that works. If not send it back to Kimber.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    When I bought my Kimber, it shot 4" low at 7 yards, off the paper at 21. I called Kimber, they put new sights on it and had it back to me in 10 days round trip.

Fixed the problem.

*edit*
    Just thought I'd mention that they asked how many rounds I had fired through it. I ran 175 of various brands, weights, etc. Having told them that, they realized that it was the weapon, and not me.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Administrator
    If it is shooting 2 or more inches low at 7 yards with the ammo that you intend to carry in it then that is unacceptable.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Kimber & ammo...

I began with 230 grain FMJ & that's what we shot thru it mostly. I also had some hollowpoint 185's that shot in virtually the same place. There is a guy near me who's won numerous awards over the years with handguns. I'm going to ask him to shoot it tomorrow just to make absolutely sure it's not me. Then, I'll give Kimber a call.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Joe, I chose the Pro CDP II as my first 1911 and it has been quite accurate from the start. Accuracy at 7 yds and using varying bullets weights should be close to dead on, especially from a rest. I would have to agree that you may need to send it in.

At 7- 20 yards focusing only on my front sight I am able to consistently hit the black. I use primarily 230 gr ammo - Winchester white box or CCI Blazer Brass.

Once you get this corrected you will love your CDP! Mine is my primary carry and has been extremely reliable! (just don't let anyone talk you into using shok buff recoil pads)

Good luck!
    D-
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

The shop I bought it from told me that Kimber would charge me to correct the problem.
    I suspect the shop is mistaken. I suggest that you call up Kimber customer service.

Links