Protecting your protection- recording numbers, photo's??? - Page 2

Protecting your protection- recording numbers, photo's???

This is a discussion on Protecting your protection- recording numbers, photo's??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pictures and serial # with my ins. co., a copy at my dad's and I keep 2 copys, one in the safe. That's of all ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protecting your protection- recording numbers, photo's???

Distinguished Member
    Pictures and serial # with my ins. co., a copy at my dad's and I keep 2 copys, one in the safe. That's of all my things not just guns. I would like to get a camcorder and flim everything also.

I keep a file with a page for each gun with: picture, little write up make/model/serial number/date & location purchased and price, receipts and similar paperwork stapled to the sheet. Computer copies on my hard drive and a portable USB drive in case the computer goes south (I highly doubt anyone would steal this big ole thing, but I've had a few hard drives crash with age and I'm no expert at recovering data from them)
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZDaven View Post
    A friend of mine recently told me about how he lost all of his gun's (13) to a robbery. He had them stashed in different locations in the house so he's not sure how they knew where all of them were. He had the serial numbers written down but wishes he had taken photo's of the guns, and a close up of the numbers.

I only have one handgun so It was very easy to write the serial number down and photograph it from a few different angles.

I have the photo's on my computer, and in my parents safe.

SO, the question is: what have you done to protect your guns from theft? pictures, serial number recording, more?

(this quite possibly was asked before, but I am too lazy today to search. :) )

Putting photos in a safe is pointless, if you then leave the guns out where they can be stolen.

Your friend should have purchased a couple less guns, and used the money to buy a gun safe.

In this day and age, it is very irresponsible for someone to have a gun collection and no gun safe. Your friend deserves to be chastised.

I keep a spread sheet on the computer and on a separate thumb drive. Keep a video tape of each item with inventory information and the thumb drive in the lock box at the bank. The important thing is to keep your listings updated as you make changes.

If you have a spreadsheet you can just upload them to google docs if you have a gmail account. If you ever need access to the S/N's on that spreadsheet you can pull them up from any computer with an internet connection.

Photos and serial numbers are recorded for almost everything I own that is "pawnable." Gun, fishing reels, stereo, tv, camera, bikes and computer stuff. Save it on the hard drive, then to 2 discs, then print and store one copy of the disc and printout at home AND another set elsewhere.

I live near a state line. Out of state law enforcement doesn't track engraved names and/or initials very well, but they can track serial numbers. Without the serial number it is very difficult to get anything back.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Thanks everyone. I have recorded my SN, and have taken some pic's and am storing on my computer, and in cyber space.

Lance, I don't believe in kicking a man when he is down, it's not like he is kicking himself enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Putting photos in a safe is pointless, if you then leave the guns out where they can be stolen.

Your friend should have purchased a couple less guns, and used the money to buy a gun safe.

In this day and age, it is very irresponsible for someone to have a gun collection and no gun safe. Your friend deserves to be chastised.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links